System Upgrade advice

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: System Upgrade advice
« Reply #40 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:22 pm »
Not a bad suggestion jarcher. I personally don't like the idea of tuning a system with cords and cables. I try to get the most non-invasive / neutral / least damaging cables I can find (without getting near the stupidly priced stuff). This can make a system sound revealing (for both the good and bad), but at least with this approach you know what your components are doing and can then work on getting the synergy between components right. I think Wireworld is a great suggestion in general. Kimber also makes some good, honest, cables such as 8tc. I don't like their use of multi-strand conductors for use in IC's though. Anyway.....In order of importance, I'd go with IC's, then speaker cables. I tend to find power cables to be more of an icing-on-the-cake component.

I agree, the Cable Co is a great resource to try before you buy. Hard to go wrong there.

I totally agree with this and wrote a sticky post on the subject in my circle that says what RD just said in a longer, more drawn out post. :lol: I include AC power as well.... this doesn't necessarily mean you need a specific conditioner but clean power and decent cables are mandatory, it's impossible to have a good sounding system without. If you don't have neutral cables you won't know what your components really sound like and will select components to balance the sound of your cables, and with cables that have a larger effect on the signal you may never get where you want to go.

jimbones, you'd be better off upgrading the drivers in your speakers than anything else imo. Also, crossover components make a big difference.

Early B.

« Reply #41 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:30 pm »
In terms of price, I don't necessarily think you have to spend A LOT (ie more than $250ish) to glean a significant increase in performance. In terms of IC's and speaker cables, Zen Wave, Darwin, Morrow, all have EXCELLENT entry level offerings that will blow the doors off of more commercialized offerings in the same price categories (and higher). I believe they all have pretty generous trial periods as well.

That's fine. The OP could pick these up and try them out:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128956.msg1361909#new

They will probably significantly outperform his current ICs.

Good power cords in the $250ish range? Harder to find.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:41 pm »
That's fine. The OP could pick these up and try them out:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128956.msg1361909#new

They will probably significantly outperform his current ICs.

Good power cords in the $250ish range? Harder to find.

True... I'd like to have a cheaper PC but they use A LOT of copper, about the same as speaker cables, so cheap PCs and SCs are hard to come up with. I'd probably look for a decent design in 6N OFC copper for lower priced cables. Silver plated copper/teflon mil-spec wire is another good budget alternative. I hope to have some more budget-oriented PC and SCs but finding inexpensive but good-sounding wire is not super easy and involves more compromises vs the UPOCC wire I use in all of my current cables.

sunnydaze

« Reply #43 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:56 pm »
Personally, given your system, I'd be changing the amp.  But if you wanna go the cabling route, consider  Morrow.

I can't comment on his PC, but I use his IC and SC and they offer exceptional clarity and transparency, without being lean, etched or clinical.  Open, dynamic, palpable sound.  Thin and soft like shoelaces, easy to route.    Pleasure to work with compared to typical thick and bulky ridiculous audiophile fare.

They are much cheaper than the rest of my gear.  Despite this, they keep up and have stayed in my system many years now, even as everything around them has been upgraded.    I have several friends with the same experience.  Give 'em a shot.  Nothing to lose with the risk free audition period.

jimbones

« Reply #44 on: 22 Sep 2014, 04:46 pm »
With regard to the PS Audio power cords, I agree. They're definitely contributing to the lack of detail that you're hearing.  I don't doubt that the ICs are doing the same thing. Problem is -- good PCs and ICs aren't cheap. Expect to pay several hundred dollars per IC and PC.

One at a time  :icon_lol: Some cords I will have to buy new and some i can get used and I think i will need to spend upwards of $300 used to $500 new.

jimbones

« Reply #45 on: 22 Sep 2014, 04:54 pm »
I totally agree with this and wrote a sticky post on the subject in my circle that says what RD just said in a longer, more drawn out post. :lol: I include AC power as well.... this doesn't necessarily mean you need a specific conditioner but clean power and decent cables are mandatory, it's impossible to have a good sounding system without. If you don't have neutral cables you won't know what your components really sound like and will select components to balance the sound of your cables, and with cables that have a larger effect on the signal you may never get where you want to go.

jimbones, you'd be better off upgrading the drivers in your speakers than anything else imo. Also, crossover components make a big difference.

Dave, i do have ideas on my next speaker upgrade which will include new tweeters and possibly a new woofer (Scan Speak and BG). I have very good quality jantzen XO components and am using your wiire for all internal wiring. From the comments it looks like I have lots of work to do and Have irons in the fire to purchase cables and new electric service. I just learned yesterday that the line for my system is only 14 ga!! I am going to run a dedicated line 12 ga with 20 amp breaker. Then I I will be auditioning electronics based on their availability from generous fellow audiophiles. I'll get there but I am willing to spend, but it has to count. Can't be spending money for moneys sake.

Early B.

« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:12 pm »
Can't be spending money for moneys sake.

Prepare to waste a lot more money. :o  With this hobby, we burn through thousands of dollars just hear a slight improvement (or not). 

jimbones

« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:31 pm »
Early B, I am no stranger to the hobby, just a bit outdated and need to bring my system up to "current standards" :P
As you can see some of my equipment was pretty decent in it's day (25 yrs ago  :oops:)
I am well aware that it will take dinero and piece by piece I'll have to address the weaker parts of the system.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #48 on: 26 Sep 2014, 10:05 pm »
Or you could head over to the DIY circle and get to soldering

jimbones

« Reply #49 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:39 am »
I'll DIY the speakers (better tweeters to start). Scan Speak BG and Seas are on the short  list.
Cables I'll  buy prefabbed. I have a PC in mind and a spdif cable for my DAC. Keeping eyes open for an amp, but very limited on manufacturers.

Note: I am demoing a Dodd Pre against my SP8. Better dynamics lower noise floor on the Dodd but Bass is not as good as my SP8.

Early B.

« Reply #50 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:47 am »
Note: I am demoing a Dodd Pre against my SP8. Better dynamics lower noise floor on the Dodd but Bass is not as good as my SP8.

Are you sure the bass is not as good? I just went through that myself. I recently changed a DAC that sounded better in every way except the bass. But after careful listening, I realized that the new DAC actually sounded more realistic. The old DAC appeared to have more bass, but with a lower noise floor of the new DAC, the bass is more articulate.

jimbones

« Reply #51 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:52 pm »
Oh I definitely need more time with it my compare isn't done  :lol:

There "appears" to be too much bass on the Dodd pre. After a few more hours I'll know for sure.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #52 on: 27 Sep 2014, 09:50 pm »
With regard to the PS Audio power cords, I agree. They're definitely contributing to the lack of detail that you're hearing.  I don't doubt that the ICs are doing the same thing. Problem is -- good PCs and ICs aren't cheap. Expect to pay several hundred dollars per IC and PC.
Jonathan Valin of TAS is quite high on the Shunyata Venom PS8 plug bank ($695.00) and its Venom mini conditioner ($195.00).  Gave it a Golden Ear Award.  "They clarified and fine-tuned timbre and character and released heretofore hidden musicality from my system" says he.  If you get em, hows about a review?

jimbones

« Reply #53 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:06 pm »
OK so I made an offer on a  piece of equipment, lets see what happens. more to come.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #54 on: 2 Oct 2014, 01:11 pm »
Any thoughts on Room Treatments?

jimbones

« Reply #55 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:09 am »
I wanted a Plinius for a long time, then I saw the innards and the parts quality didn't appear to be consistent with the price.  Consider amps such as Odyssey Stratos, Modwright, or Job.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner, I have the winning offer on a Modwright KWA 100SE amp 2 yr old. Besides being recommended by several people, good reviews, I see it runs cool, has decent power reserves and premium parts and a "tube like" sound. I its not going to sound like a tube amp but from what I have been reading it is a very good ss amp. Haven't heard it but should have it set up by Sunday.

jimbones

« Reply #56 on: 3 Oct 2014, 10:59 pm »
OK so i have the amp and have had a couple of hours listening. I can tell you that the graininess and hardness is gone, nada. I am not changing the tweeter or messing with the speaker at this point. I need time to settle in a get familiar with it. I do have some cable demo's planned. Thanks for all the advice. Nice to finally crack the hi end ranks. :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #57 on: 3 Oct 2014, 11:01 pm »
Hey man, I'm happy for you.  Those are great amps - enjoy!

Early B.

« Reply #58 on: 4 Oct 2014, 12:27 am »
OK so i have the amp and have had a couple of hours listening. I can tell you that the graininess and hardness is gone, nada. I am not changing the tweeter or messing with the speaker at this point. I need time to settle in a get familiar with it. I do have some cable demo's planned. Thanks for all the advice. Nice to finally crack the hi end ranks. :lol:

Fantastic!

sunnydaze

« Reply #59 on: 4 Oct 2014, 02:18 am »
Like i said (Reply 43)...... change the amp!     :thumb:

Congrats and Good luck going forward. .   Glad you  are enjoying.