Maggie 1.5QR

bogiedr

Maggie 1.5QR
« on: 20 Mar 2012, 01:20 am »
I have a shot at a pair of 1.5's, factory refurbs for about 1g. Thinking of matching them with either a Sansui 771 receiver or a Phase Linear 200 power amp. My questions are:
Am I paying too much for full factory refreshed?
Will either the Sui or Linear be good enough to drive these beasts?
Thanks all !!  :scratch:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Maggie 1.5QR
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2012, 01:43 am »
I can't address the power question question, but 1.6s are going for under a grand.  I'll be selling mine soon for that price range.  Where are you?

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2012, 02:22 am »
I agree with 'brick, at the same time, you can even find some perfectly good older models with true ribbon tweeters for under a grand.

I found my 2.5's for $400 and replaced the ribbons (magnepan has a swap the bad ones for good ones) and repaired some delamination on the panels and my cost was around $800.

The repair wasn't difficult and I went in telling myself if the aluminum wires showed signs of pitting or if there was a lot of delamination, they would go to magnepan for a rebuild.  Said rebuild would have been about $900 including replacing the ribbons and about $200 for back and forth shipping and my cost would have been $1500.

$1500 for a pair of factory refurbed true ribbons Maggie's was doable.

My point is, if you can go true ribbons, go for it as the difference is worth it.

If I recall correctly, the Phase Linear 200 is from the 70's and was 200wpc in 8ohms and over 300 in 4, which will drive any Maggie you should choose.

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 02:27 am »
I just checked, the Phase Linear 200 is 105 WPC @ 8 ohm and I would guess around 170 or so in 4ohm.

This should still be enough to drive Maggie's.

Jim

bogiedr

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:47 am »
Brick, I am in the Bay Area on the right coast  :D home of the Rays, Bucs, Bolts and Bulls ... guess we can claim the Magic as well, just not sure why.
Jim, sounds like the price for the full Maggie refurb is actually pretty good. I do not really have the time to work on speakers and if I did, by the time I added my contract hourly rate, the refurbs are a bargain. I found the Phase Linears (amp & pre), for sale at a local music shop. 400 bucks gets me the pair, which was used as demo's at a local store. All documentation is included, original manuals, the works! thinking of pulling the trigger there as well as the Maggies. That would make for one whale of a vintage system!!  :thumb: Let you all know what I do. Thanks for the input!!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:50 am »
The flame linear should have enough power for the job.
If you need some Phase Linear help sometime down the road and can't find it here the guys over at thecarversite.com can be of assistance.

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:15 am »
Brick, I am in the Bay Area on the right coast  :D home of the Rays, Bucs, Bolts and Bulls ... guess we can claim the Magic as well, just not sure why.
Jim, sounds like the price for the full Maggie refurb is actually pretty good. I do not really have the time to work on speakers and if I did, by the time I added my contract hourly rate, the refurbs are a bargain. I found the Phase Linears (amp & pre), for sale at a local music shop. 400 bucks gets me the pair, which was used as demo's at a local store. All documentation is included, original manuals, the works! thinking of pulling the trigger there as well as the Maggies. That would make for one whale of a vintage system!!  :thumb: Let you all know what I do. Thanks for the input!!

If that's the case, go for it. My first true audiophile rig was back in the 70's and it was powered by a phase linear 700 amp thru a phase linear 2000 pre feeding a pair of Altec A7's.  Nothing wrong with Vintage!

Jim

bogiedr

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:05 am »
Hey Jim!
This is a vintage system. Currently I am running a Sansui 771 with ADS L780's and JBL L19's along with a Luxman table. My first system was Sansui/BIC back in the mid 70's, so you get the idea of what I as trying to accomplish. Now I want to compare current audiophile vs vintage audiophile. Still leaning heavily towards picking up the refurb 1.5qr's, but instead of the Phase Linears, I can actually use a Sansui AU 717 integrated amp!! Being a Sui fanatic ... man, I hope it's enough power as Sansui usually underated their units by a mile. Your thoughts? I appreciate your opinion!!  8)

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:57 am »
Hi Bogiedr:

I say go for it, I love vintage!!!

Jim

bogiedr

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2012, 12:24 am »
Well, I upgraded amplification in the vintage system. I picked up a perfectly pristine Sansui AU-717! Rated at 90 per channel @ 8ohms. I also found a pair of 1.6QR's that "alledgedly" are perfect in every way, except a binding post is "busted, but because they are bi-wirable, no issues". Thinking of looking at these as worse case, the 1.5's refurbed are still available. Besides I am not sure the CGlister for the 1.6's has a clue as to what he is selling!! Afetr that dicertation ... maggie experts, the Sansui 717 have enough guts to satisfy 1.5's or 1.6's?
Thank you!!