Vandersteen Model 7 MkII

ctsooner

Re: Vandersteen Model 7 MkII
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2015, 12:10 pm »
Wish I was in your league guys.  I have the Treo's and am looking forward to upgrading to the Quatro's.  I have the Ayre AX7e but am awaiting my AX5/20. 
I think those who put down Vandy's have an agenda or haven't heard them properly.  I realize no speaker is loved by all, however some of the things people claim they don't like about the Vandy line make no sense.  It's nice reading a thread like this with folks who understand the differences and realize what it best for them.  Thanks.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:17 pm »
Vandersteen and Dahlquist were the first designers using dynamic drivers so far as I know to take time alignment of multiple drivers into consideration.  Several designers today slant back their baffles- including Vandersteen of late- for cohesive time alignment of waveforms from multiple drivers.  Makes good sense to me.  Dahlquist was my first love.  Then Acoustat electrostats.  The Meridian speakers I use today accomplish this with "active" crossovers.  I might still be using Acoustats but one of them failed.   

geowak

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2015, 03:06 pm »
Wish I was in your league guys.  I have the Treo's and am looking forward to upgrading to the Quatro's.  I have the Ayre AX7e but am awaiting my AX5/20. 
I think those who put down Vandy's have an agenda or haven't heard them properly.  I realize no speaker is loved by all, however some of the things people claim they don't like about the Vandy line make no sense.  It's nice reading a thread like this with folks who understand the differences and realize what it best for them.  Thanks.
If you did not get the quattros, I bet a pair of Rel subs or Rythmik subs would really bring the Treos out. Maybe two 15 inch with servo amps and GR drivers would be fast enough.

ctsooner

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2015, 02:20 am »
I'm going with the Quatro's as soon as I find a buyer for the Treo's.  I just got my new Ayre AX5/20 and it's a KILLER.  Just out of the box it's a KILLER....I need the Quatro's now as I also just got my Aesthetix Rhea phono as I needed a balanced Phono for the Ayre to sound best.