2BLP Pro as a head-amp Revisited.....again.

veloceleste

Re: 2BLP Pro as a head-amp Revisited.....again.
« Reply #20 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:27 pm »
I just perused the great dyi threads about building balanced cables and the AKG modifications. Thanks for your time and effort creating those. I learned a lot from them. Too bad my skills lack what I consider essential for dyi projects: patience, confidence and fine motor control. I'm considering k712's for my BHA and would like to take advantage of the balanced output but wouldn't want to risk butchering a new set of 'phones with my handiwork. I'm great at taking things apart, it's putting them back together that is the problem!

rob80b

« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:19 pm »
................. I'm considering k712's for my BHA and would like to take advantage of the balanced output but wouldn't want to risk butchering a new set of 'phones with my handiwork. I'm great at taking things apart, it's putting them back together that is the problem!

If I do get around to modifying my K712s for a balanced connection for the BHA-1 I’ll probably hardwire them like the K701s.

Mind you most of my listening is with the HD700/BHA-1 combo…. but for now when the 2BLP pro is not powering some surrounds and I need some extra grunt for the K712s…or a second pair of phones as the balanced HD700s are usually around 9 o’clock on the dial while the K712s is much higher for the same volume….running the 2B balanced off the BHA-1 for the K712s works great.

Oh…and for quick and easy speaker connections with the 2BLP pro these come in really handy. :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:26 pm »
Hi Robert!....

I am considering the 2 channel version of A80. ........

Is there anything you recommend when getting an R2R machine? Perhaps an A80 would be an overkill .................

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I’ve been out of the loop regarding R2Rs for quite some time now although I have two in storage...... if you can find a B77 in good condition, especially the heads, I’m sure it would be fine…and there are a number of 2 track Teacs popping up all the time at very reasonable prices .

Robert

R. Daneel

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2015, 05:12 pm »
Hi Antun

I’ve been out of the loop regarding R2Rs for quite some time now although I have two in storage...... if you can find a B77 in good condition, especially the heads, I’m sure it would be fine…and there are a number of 2 track Teacs popping up all the time at very reasonable prices .

Robert

Hi Robert and thanks!

I will look around and if I find something good, I will post pics.

Best wishes,
Antun

guest61169

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2016, 07:20 pm »
If you had speakers connected to the 2B-LP Pro, does inserting the headphone into the jack mute the speakers? 

The volume of the headphones is controlled by the preamp, right?

rob80b

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2016, 07:51 pm »
If you had speakers connected to the 2B-LP Pro, does inserting the headphone into the jack mute the speakers? 

The volume of the headphones is controlled by the preamp, right?

No...
Yes...
.....and also the gain controls on the front of the 2BLP pro...

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2016, 11:26 pm »
It would be possible if you hacked in a headphone jack with switched contacts... but I wouldn't recommend that.

Does the B60 mute the speakers when you use the headphone jack?

rob80b

« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2016, 12:06 am »
Does the B60 mute the speakers when you use the headphone jack?

The 2BLP was originally designed for studio use so one usually ran the speakers and a headphone feed simultaneously, the B60 is an integrated pre & amp designed for home use so it does mute the speaker output, but yes you could wire the 2BLP to mute when headphones are used, I've considered doing that myself a few times.

Armaegis

« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2016, 02:32 am »
The only iffy part on that is that as a physical switch, you'd want to make sure the switching contacts are rated high enough to carry the speaker load. I've got some heavy duty switchcraft ones which could probably do it, but the body extends sideways and wouldn't fit.

I think you'd also have to do some creative wrangling to get the resistors in line with a standard switched jack, unless you're comfortable running full power into the headphones. Personally, I have a Hifiman HE-6 which is literally one of the hardest headphones in the world to drive, so I in fact run mine directly off the speaker terminals on the back.

Armaegis

« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2016, 11:10 pm »
Say Rob, since you have the B60 do you know if the headphone jack from the B60 is also a resistor tap from the speaker outputs similar to the 2B?

rob80b

« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2016, 11:53 pm »
Say Rob, since you have the B60 do you know if the headphone jack from the B60 is also a resistor tap from the speaker outputs similar to the 2B?

Thats had, but unfortunately no the B60 headphone out runs off the pre-amp same as the BP25 and 26.

For power hungry phones I had run the 2BLP off the pre-amp section of the B60... now that I have the BHA-1 the balanced out is more than sufficient  :thumb:.

pre BHA1 setup....B60 and 2BLP pro

« Last Edit: 21 May 2016, 02:38 pm by rob80b »

rob80b

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2016, 02:35 pm »
But in all honesty if one is serious about running headphones the BHA-1 IMHO is the best route to take.  :D

techguy0192

« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2016, 02:17 am »
Love those 2B-LP amps.  Tremendous bang for the buck new and untouchable value in the pre-owned market.  What a compact powerhouse of an amp. :thumb: