Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?

Siltech

Re: Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?
« Reply #160 on: 4 Oct 2016, 02:44 am »
@ Mr Tanner
Did the BCD-1 up sample? Wouldn't upsampling benefit from the advanced AKM 4490 Dacs. I believe my Krell Cipher I sold upsampled, and it sounded pretty darn good. How can the BCD-3 have fine micro dynamics without upsampled? Thanks Mr Tanner.  Siltech

Siltech

« Reply #161 on: 4 Oct 2016, 03:16 am »
@ Mr Tanner
I read a previous review on the Bryston BCD-1, and it upsample to 192/24 and oversamples 128 times. I love the sound of this player. Why wouldn't you upsample the BCD-3, like BCD-1? I can't see micro dynamics as good in BCD-3, as BCD-1 without upsample. I'm not sure I would of order one, and prepaid in full, if I new this info. One would assume upsample, with the AKM Dacs.  $3499.00 Red Book Player, and no upsampling. I respect Bryston, but in no way is this a better way. I believe the Oppo Player don't upsample, but cost a lot less. I mean no disrespect to you, or Bryston in anyway. I'm just expressing my unhappy views. Thanks.  Siltech

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #162 on: 4 Oct 2016, 10:45 am »
Aren't CDs going out anyways in a decade or so?  :violin: :dunno:

Love my BCD-1 and it's staying put -- with my BDA-1.  :thumb:

sigh. we are all at the mercy of the manufacturers.

Siltech

« Reply #163 on: 4 Oct 2016, 11:59 am »
 @ Mr M. That's irrelevant. I think you make something, the best it can be. Awhile back, weren't albums distinct. I doubt CDs are going anytime soon, with millions out there. Great audiophile answer Mr M- (aren't cd format being distinct )

zoom25

« Reply #164 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm »
I have absolutely no problem with no upsampling in BCD-3. Most of the upsampling I've seen done on hardware and software on various filters has been less than stellar especially when upping the sample rate from the native 44.1 or 48. Upsampling a 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 is the only one that suits with me. Amarra SQ as a reference does this by default.

In fact you'll see most albums being released in 24/44.1...there's something about it that sounds the most pleasing and natural. Almost across all converters. Just survey the top ME and I guarantee the consensus will be in favour of 24/44.1.

So to hear that Bryston is focusing on doing just 16/44.1 and perfecting the sound particularly for that, actually makes me want to consider it even more.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #165 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm »
zoom, I think the OP's point was that, for that amt of investment $$$, upsampling should have been integral, like in the BCD-1.

I agree that 24-bit files sound better than 16-bit.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #166 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:17 pm »
@ Mr M. I doubt CDs are going anytime soon, with millions out there. Great audiophile answer Mr M- (aren't cd format being distinct )

Well, I shall wait and see, re. CD longevity on the market. I hope you're right, that CDs are here to stay.

Siltech

« Reply #167 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:28 pm »
Cool.
dCS is one of the best companies in the World for digital. Why do they upsample DSD from CDs? ( they say sound is more analog. ) They can't be wrong.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #168 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm »
@ Mr Tanner
I read a previous review on the Bryston BCD-1, and it upsample to 192/24 and oversamples 128 times. I love the sound of this player. Why wouldn't you upsample the BCD-3, like BCD-1? I can't see micro dynamics as good in BCD-3, as BCD-1 without upsample. I'm not sure I would of order one, and prepaid in full, if I new this info. One would assume upsample, with the AKM Dacs.  $3499.00 Red Book Player, and no upsampling. I respect Bryston, but in no way is this a better way. I believe the Oppo Player don't upsample, but cost a lot less. I mean no disrespect to you, or Bryston in anyway. I'm just expressing my unhappy views. Thanks.  Siltech

Hi Siltech

I think there is a misunderstanding between 'Up-sampling' and 'Over-sampling'.

The BCD-1 does not 'up-sample'.

The BCD-1 does however 'over-sample' 384 times.

The BCD-3 'over-samples' 768 times.

That's not the whole story though as the BCD-3 has many improvements over the BCD-1, making it a better sounding player in my opinion.

Other companies like DCS have their philosophy about what their designs should do and of course we have ours. Ultimately it is up to the customer to decide what sounds best to him or her.

james

Siltech

« Reply #169 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:42 pm »
Thanks Mr Tanner for your answer, I appreciate it.   Siltech

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #170 on: 4 Oct 2016, 01:22 pm »
Cool.
dCS is one of the best companies in the World for digital. Why do they upsample DSD from CDs? ( they say sound is more analog. ) They can't be wrong.

Let us know how your BCD-3 sounds after you have it for a while.  :P

srb

« Reply #171 on: 4 Oct 2016, 01:28 pm »
The BCD-1 does however 'over-sample' 384 times.

Both the BCD-1 Product Page and the BCD-1 Brochure say oversampling is 128X.  Was there a design change during the product cycle?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #172 on: 4 Oct 2016, 01:38 pm »
Curious -- if one oversamples to a higher and higher level (>> 384), would this result in better and better performance  assuming downstream gear is commensurately excellent?

Siltech

« Reply #173 on: 4 Oct 2016, 01:45 pm »
From Bryson site for BCD-1 below.
Redbook CD and CD-R playback
Fully discrete Bryston Class-A analog output stage
Crystal 192k/24bit DAC
Over-samples at 128 times
Independent analog and digital power supplies

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #174 on: 4 Oct 2016, 02:56 pm »
From Bryson site for BCD-1 below.
Redbook CD and CD-R playback
Fully discrete Bryston Class-A analog output stage
Crystal 192k/24bit DAC
Over-samples at 128 times
Independent analog and digital power supplies

Hi

That is incorrect as it over-samples at twice that - not sure how that got reported.  I spoke to the design engineer this morning and he confirmed the BCD-1 over-samples at 384.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #175 on: 4 Oct 2016, 03:04 pm »
Hi

That is incorrect as it over-samples at twice that - not sure how that got reported.  I spoke to the design engineer this morning and he confirmed the BCD-1 over-samples at 384.

james

PS

I should probably point out though that these types of numbers like over-sampling and up-sampling only tell a small part of the story.  Things like separate power supplies for digital and analog, proper routing of low level circuitry, ground planes, Class A circuits for the analog section etc. matter much more when it comes to the sound quality.

james

Haurock

« Reply #176 on: 4 Oct 2016, 04:50 pm »
Well, I shall wait and see, re. CD longevity on the market. I hope you're right, that CDs are here to stay.

The way vinyl is flooding the market lately and the surge of popularity in TT... methinks CDs are being replaced by LPs... now isn't that ironic?..

Seriously, I think CDs will be around for a long long time yet, though they may not be the number 1 listening option..

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #177 on: 4 Oct 2016, 06:11 pm »
You may be right -- CDs offer something tangible to hold, along with detailed booklets, unlike most LPs and digital file downloads.

In the foreseeable future, we may have brain implants that allow music streaming...without external in-ear/over-ear devices. Far-fetched? Limb and ear prosthetics ("bionics") were sci-fi not long ago.   :o

Siltech

« Reply #178 on: 6 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm »
WHEN ARE THE Bryston BCD-3 BEING SHIPPED OUT?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #179 on: 6 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm »
WHEN ARE THE Bryston BCD-3 BEING SHIPPED OUT?

Hi

We start production this month.