Pure Audio Project Trio 15

jparkhur

Pure Audio Project Trio 15
« on: 11 Aug 2017, 08:28 pm »
While I wait for some other projects to materialize I contacted Tom and Ze've over at PAP.  They gave some good information on their Trio 15, as I already had some full range 8 inch drivers in my hands. So this will be a home grown play by play of an inexpensive built with limited tools and parts.   Feel free to ask any questions as it progresses.  I started first with a basic mock up out of plywood so I could set all my points correctly.

jparkhur

Re: Pure Audio Project Trio 15
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2017, 08:30 pm »
Here are the test cut parts with some trial stains and other oddities.

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2017, 08:36 pm »
Here are the final parts I am using. I chose to use cut offs and scraps to see what I could come up with. Most it will be cut away anyways.

Stan.Sinn

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2017, 04:14 am »
Hello,

I am seriously seeking the build/assembly details of the XO for the PAP Open Baffle Trio15 with TangBand fullrange.

Would you kindly share the FULL details of the XO you plan to build, I will follow yr footsteps.

Where should I buy the parts and base circuit board??

Thanks and awaiting your kind reply.

If u want to email me personally, pls use st.sinned@gmail.com.

BRgds,

Stan

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2017, 04:37 pm »
Finished cutting holes and painting legs.  I am using a clear coat for the panels.

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2017, 04:40 pm »
Hello,

I am seriously seeking the build/assembly details of the XO for the PAP Open Baffle Trio15 with TangBand fullrange.

Would you kindly share the FULL details of the XO you plan to build, I will follow yr footsteps.

Where should I buy the parts and base circuit board??

Thanks and awaiting your kind reply.

If u want to email me personally, pls use st.sinned@gmail.com.

BRgds,

Stan

Pm sent.  Proprietary  to PAP sorry I can't be of help.

WC

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:39 pm »
So which full ranges are you going to try out?

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:52 pm »
Both the Dayton P220 and TB 1808

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:29 pm »
I really like that baffle!  It's cool visually, and should set off nicely with the balance of the material that holds that all together.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:57 pm »
Does the Minwax Antique Oil Finish change the color of the wood?  Does it yellow with age? I have used Osmo Hardwax Oil in the past and it turned maple slightly yellow/orange as it aged.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2017, 11:17 pm »
Some woodworkers use Boiled Linseed Oil as a finish.  After the oil cures, they apply a paste wax on top to give an added layer of protection.  Of course, there are other oil products that you can use as well.  I cannot speak to the product that you are asking about in regards to yellowing with age.  However, I can speak to using oil as a finish in general.

This finish will look beautiful in it’s first year, but it allows the wood to oxidize and is not very protective.  A finish like this must be continuously maintained by de-waxing and re-oiling every 2 years.  For me, this isn’t a practical finish for most people.

My go to combination is boiled linseed oil which I let dry for 5-7 days.  After the BLO has completely dried I apply 5 coats of Waterlox with the last coat being gently handrubbed with 0000 steel wool which has been soaked in mineral oil (not mineral spirits!).

BTW, the work that is shown above is outstanding!  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

jparkhur

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:43 am »
Does the Minwax Antique Oil Finish change the color of the wood?  Does it yellow with age? I have used Osmo Hardwax Oil in the past and it turned maple slightly yellow/orange as it aged.

I do not know.  We will find out together

jparkhur

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:44 am »
Thoughts.  As the 15 s are mounted from back do I paint the inner edges black??   Thoughts from all welcomed.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:46 am »
Thoughts.  As the 15 s are mounted from back do I paint the inner edges black??   Thoughts from all welcomed.

I think it would be easiest by far to leave the edges unpainted. How would you make a clear line between the inside edge and the face of the baffle?  I also think not painting the inner edges would look best. Show a little end grain but sand the heck out of it. PureAudioProject does not paint the inside edges.

jparkhur

« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:02 am »
Some more work.  Stands are up, third coat on the boards.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:56 am »

I did my inner ring black, but it was a no brainer with the two blackened vertical grooves.
Your work is amazing.... :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2017, 05:25 pm »
Jon/Perry, two good looking projects, thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Best,
Ed

jparkhur

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2017, 05:39 pm »
I'll touch them up today and wire them.

jparkhur

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2017, 08:55 pm »
Up and breaking in.  Pretty good.

jparkhur

« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2017, 09:02 pm »
My calc says baffle step is around 1250 hz.  So I can adjust as needed if that is case.