Need help wiring Lambda power supply

santacore

Need help wiring Lambda power supply
« on: 16 Sep 2014, 03:09 am »
I just picked up a Lambda 12V linear power supply to replace the cheap switching power supply that came with my Neve Portico microphone preamp. I've never worked with this type of supply before so I was hoping a fellow AC'er could help me with the wiring. Below is a picture of the unit. I assume a 2 or 3 prong AC cable going in and then a tip/sleeve going to the Neve(like the original).

Folsom

Re: Need help wiring Lambda power supply
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2014, 04:46 am »
What's written below the S and V on both sides?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2014, 12:12 pm »
a] What's the Lambda model number?
b] Wow, AC Input on exposed screw terminals!
c] The 'S' connections are for remote sensing.

santacore

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2014, 12:32 pm »
Yeah, these are the only in/outs on the whole unit including power. Below the labels are just numbers 1-7 (left-right). I believe the model number is: LXS-C-12-R

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2014, 01:20 pm »
So someone already shorted the sense inputs to the voltage outputs, so you don't need to worry about the sense lines unless you want to remove the shorts and use the sense lines.  You will get better regulation of you connect the sense lines up to the load of the power supply, but you might want to get things working first.

For the ac inputs, neutral is the wider blade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

The ps doesn't appear to care, so I would connect neutral to the left ac input, hot to the right one.
If you use a 3 prong plug, ground wire goes to the ground symbol.

And output is V- and V+.

I would hook up the ac, and check the voltage output with a meter before connecting it to anything.

BTW, we have power supplies at work with screw terminals on the back like this.

EDIT:  After thinking about it, I would recommend using a three prong plug and connect ground for safety

Randy
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 03:59 pm by randytsuch »

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2014, 04:08 pm »
You can connect safety ground under a screw holding the terminal strip to the plate I'd think.