SP3 - any way to increase source output?

Grit

• - Garrett
SP3 - any way to increase source output?
« on: 13 Sep 2014, 05:13 am »
I have my BHA-1 headphone amp hooked up to my SP3 via the tape out unbalanced connections (there's no other way, right?). I've noticed that my sources are all lower volume than they were with my old Rotel receiver. The side effect is that when watching TV via my Tivo, I now have to max out the volume on the headphone amp with the gain in high to get the level of volume I used to get. Previously, I used to have the volume at about 3/4 max on the low gain setting.

Is there some way to increase the volume of just the cable/sat HDMI input, as opposed to all HDMI inputs? Or any other solutions to increase output to the BHA inputs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP3 - any way to increase source output?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2014, 04:42 am »
I would suggest trying 2 solutions.  (1) You could try using the Aux-L & R unbalanced or balanced output.  It is downmixed stereo 2 channel replica of whatever is being played.  It is similar to DVR-OUT or TAPE-OUT monitoring outputs.

- When you play SPDIF or HDMI sources, TAPE & DVR-OUT play that(**) as the downmixed 2ch digital through internal DAC (which is the same as to what AUX does).

- When the source is analog, TAPE & DVR-OUT play internally bypassed L and R channels, with a gain of about 1/3(*) (which AUX will also reproduce, with a gain of ~1, through an internal DAC)

- When the source is analog in bypass mode, TAPE & DVR-OUT play also the same internally bypassed L and R channels with a gain of 1
 (which AUX will also reproduce, but only if you set SUBWOOFER in-Bypass=ON)

AUX L,R functions basically the same way except it passes through the main volume controller in the SP3 (while DVR and TAPE-OUT have a fixed gain).  In addition, gain of the AUX L,R can be also offset (trimmed) in the MISC or OTHER submenu.  In addition AUX has a balanced output which would work well with the BHA-1

You could also (2) use the Headphone Output on the SP3 front panel, but you would need to make a cable to connect a 1/4" headphone jack to an unbalanced or a balanced input of BHA-1.

Regards,
Stan Bleszynski
Bryston

Notes
  (*) The lower DVR & TAPE OUT gain in the analog versus bypass modes, results from the default multichannel speaker output configuration of the former. It is needed to prevent an internal signal clipping at max amplitude)
  (**) TAPE and DVR OUT are the monitoring outputs which play all currently played sources except themselves!   DVR-OUT is muted when you select DVR source to play, and TAPE-OUT is muted when you play TAPE source!
       This behavior enforced by the common standard when, for example one either plays from the TAPE device or records onto the TAPE device but plays and records to the same device at the same time.

ragg987

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2014, 10:13 am »
(which AUX will also reproduce, but only if you set SUBWOOFER in-Bypass=ON)
I've learnt something new here - I did not realise that sub to Aux L+R is possible in by-pass mode. I had been using Stereo mode for my turntable as this was the only way (or so I thought) to get bass to Aux L+R. Now to try it and compare bypass to stereo...

Rajive

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2014, 11:33 am »
If I use the Aux L/R outputs though, the main speakers would still be playing, correct? Thus, if I turn the SP3 volume up to increase headphone output, I'd increase the volume on the main L/R speakers?

If I were to use the headphone out jack, that disables output to the speakers. Would I then leave the volume on the BHA-1 at max, and use the SP3 to control the volume?

Currently, the firmware is able to adjust the level (+/- db) all the HDMI inputs levels under one setting. Is there any chance future firmware would be able to add a setting to adjust levels of each individual input (1-8)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:27 pm »
If I use the Aux L/R outputs though, the main speakers would still be playing, correct? Thus, if I turn the SP3 volume up to increase headphone output, I'd increase the volume on the main L/R speakers?

If I were to use the headphone out jack, that disables output to the speakers. Would I then leave the volume on the BHA-1 at max, and use the SP3 to control the volume?

Currently, the firmware is able to adjust the level (+/- db) all the HDMI inputs levels under one setting. Is there any chance future firmware would be able to add a setting to adjust levels of each individual input (1-8)?
Yes using AUX does not affect the main outputs.  You can trim AUX level (gains) by MISCELLANEOUS-->LRAUX TRIM parameter (+22/-40dB), it will not affect main outputs.  Using Headphone jack will mute the main channel outputs.  Headphones gain can also be adjusted in the MISCELLANEOUS-->
HEADPH by +6 down to -12dB, with respect to the main outputs.     

Re: Would I then leave the volume on the BHA-1 at max, and use the SP3 to control the volume?

Yes, you can then use SP3 volume control, after adjusting the MISC-->HEADPH parametr to suit your gain.

Regards,
Stan Bleszynski
Bryston

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2014, 07:02 am »
Excellent. I think I'll use the L/R Aux and write a macro for my remote to to shut off the main amp when I use "headphones".

I know RS232 can add parameters, such as setting a specific volume. It'd be great to use that because I could program the remote to have the volume turn down before I power the amp back up. However, I'm stuck with IR for now.

Is there an IR code to set the volume to ANY level, such as the minimum level (-80 db I believe) or the volume level that the amp uses each time it's turned on? Either would be very helpful.

- Garrett