BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

Asimov

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #120 on: 6 Dec 2010, 07:41 pm »
Hi - I have not tried ape or wv

james

But I need to know the answer ...... got lots of music in ape and wv format.
I can't take a decision without knowing the answer, James could you please have a try.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #121 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:12 pm »
I can't take a decision without knowing the answer, James could you please have a try.

Ok - I will ask engneering to have a try. Any particular reason you choose ape and wv over FLAC?

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #122 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:22 pm »
good input, Asimov! seems that ape and wv are not too popular?

al.

StigO

« Reply #123 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:27 pm »

Or just convert... http://www.audio-transcoder.com/how-to-convert-ape-files-to-flac/

Currently using squeezecenter on linux and it was not supported...

nikon

« Reply #124 on: 7 Dec 2010, 10:15 am »
James

What are current wait times for BDA-1 and BDP-1 from placing order to shipping

drsoji

« Reply #125 on: 7 Dec 2010, 11:56 am »
Hi James,

Received my BDP-1 yest :D and sounds fantastic listening to the Chesky HiRez files, particularly like the Jen Chapin track.

My setup is BDP-1>BDA-1>McIntosh MX136>7BSST2 x2>Revel Salon2 & a Velodyne DD15

I've had to reformat my WD Passport 750G drive to FAT32 and am still in the process of reloading 10,0000 + songs so still waiting to listen to those.

I had hoped the drive would work in its existing format Mac OS Extended but no joy there.

I would like to put my vote in for the development of the use of a NAS device as this would make regularly updating my music library much more convenient.

I have one question regarding the Bryston web app. On the start page there is a link to "Settings", when I click on this I'm asked for a u/n and password. I might have missed it but I cant find this documented anywhere. What is the u/n and pw that needs to be entered?

Well done on creating a great product, I'm looking forward to re-exploring my music again over the next few weeks.

Scott

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #126 on: 7 Dec 2010, 12:47 pm »
Hi Scott

Great to hear they finally got to Australia :D Glad your enjoying the sound - that was my major goal with the BDP.

The default password and username is bryston. As we go along it will allow for different features to be added.

I would recommend two smaller drives rather than one large one as the load times and flexibility are better. I have a new SSD 240G and the load time is much faster than the rotary drives.

ENJOY :thumb:

James

werd

« Reply #127 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:31 pm »
Hi Scott

Great to hear they finally got to Australia :D Glad your enjoying the sound - that was my major goal with the BDP. The default password and username is bryston. As we go along it will allow for different features to be added.

I would recommend two smaller drives rather than one large one as the load times and flexibility are better. I have a new SSD 240G and the load time is much faster than the rotary drives.

ENJOY :thumb:

James

I thought the major goal was to get me one for xmas Santa James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:35 pm »

Hi werd,

OOPs - sorry I forgot :duh:

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #129 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:43 pm »
Butbutbut... What about me? :(
I even am kinda responsible for one of the features: the display... Without me I kinda doubt it would have been there...

SFOX

« Reply #130 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:48 pm »
I ordered one in October and hope to see it under the tree on Christmas morning !  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #131 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:14 pm »
Hi werd,

OOPs - sorry I forgot :duh:

james

for free !!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

I downloaded the new Diana Krall Christmas 96/24 CD from HD Tracks yesterday - boy it sounded good.

Then I saw a dynamic range graph measurement of the CD version vs the HD download version and the CD version was seriously compressed and clipping on the peaks.  :icon_surprised:

I am thinking that one of the main benefits going forward with downloadable digital files (even 44.1/16bit versions) off the master tape will be at least the full dynamic range of the Master will be maintained. :thumb:

james
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2010, 08:34 pm by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #133 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:38 pm »
What a coincidence,and Visa just increased my credit limit,how can I sneak this one in.

Welly123

« Reply #134 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:38 am »
I picked-up my BDP-1 on Monday... and had a few issues because it had "old" firmware installed. But, a few e-mails back and forth with James has fixed all of the issues. Spent a few hours last night with the intension of doing some comparisons with my other sources, but got lost in the music :D

The only conclusion that I have come to so far, is that it blows away my aging Tag McLaren DVD32R in terms of pure music quality. As James has already mentioned, the Diana Krall 24/96 album is magical... another from HDTracks is Carla Lother - 100 Lovers, highly recommended.

Maybe I'll get around to doing the comparison with my other sources... but it could take a while.

Regards

Russell

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #135 on: 8 Dec 2010, 12:49 pm »
Hi Russell,

Thanks for the feedback - at this point I believe you have the ONLY BDP-1 in the UK :thumb:

james

PS - I will check out the Carla Lother.

werd

« Reply #136 on: 8 Dec 2010, 02:47 pm »
Hi Folks,

I downloaded the new Diana Krall Christmas 96/24 CD from HD Tracks yesterday - boy it sounded good.

Then I saw a dynamic range graph measurement of the CD version vs the HD download version and the CD version was seriously compressed and clipping on the peaks.  :icon_surprised:

I am thinking that one of the main benefits going forward with downloadable digital files (even 44.1/16bit versions) off the master tape will be at least the full dynamic range of the Master will be maintained. :thumb:

james

Hi Santa James

Why don't you include this recording on your usb stick through xmas?

werd (head elf)

Asimov

« Reply #137 on: 8 Dec 2010, 03:42 pm »
Ok - I will ask engneering to have a try. Any particular reason you choose ape and wv over FLAC?

james

Not really, I've some collection in ape and wv format and don't want to convert to flac for quality issue.
How to browse song list/music library stored in external HD of BDP-1 through BR2 remote, it has no display !!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #138 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:04 pm »
Not really, I've some collection in ape and wv format and don't want to convert to flac for quality issue.
How to browse song list/music library stored in external HD of BDP-1 through BR2 remote, it has no display !!

Hi,

Sorry - tried ape and wv - does not work.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:07 pm »
I have been asked so here are the graphs of the Diana Krall Jingle Bells cut on the CD vs the HD 96/24 download.  CD is the top two traces (left and right channel) and HD 96/24 the bottom two traces.

james