Odyssey vs Naim

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Odyssey vs Naim
« on: 28 Feb 2017, 07:12 pm »
Has anyone compared Odyssey amps to Naim amps? Is so, is the sound similar or dissimilar?
I have Khartagos with my Vapors and know the sound but someone suggested Naims for my Spendors.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lester

Zero

Re: Odyssey vs Naim
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2017, 04:41 am »
I gotta say, these two brands are quite different when it comes to their approach to sound reproduction.   :icon_lol: :icon_lol:   Assuming we're comparing similar priced sub-5k Odyssey gear to sub-5k Naim gear, this is how the two brands stack up (in my experience):

Naim posesses a grungier sound.  The treble will be more accentuated.  The presentation will sound more 'in your face'.    The midrange will take on a slightly warmer color, and the bass will have this masculine, almost over-driven yet still controlled nature to it.   Naim, in short, has a very distinct signature.  Whether or not it works for you hinges on personal taste and associated gear.

A Naim amp paired to a Classic Spendor is a very safe match.  However, Naim and the current array of Spendor gear is less of a foregone bet.   Spendors non-classic line is quite a bit different from the distinctly warm and 'safe' sounding products of yore.  They ain't your dads speaker - that's for sure. 

Odyssey Audio gear, on the other hand, is going to sound more refined, balanced, cleaner, and more dynamic than Naim gear at the same price.  While it won't have quite the same "pizazz" as the Naim gear, I think Odyssey equipment forms a better match with a wider variety of speakers and thus makes for an easier recommendation most of the times.  Which brings me to Odyssey Audio and Spendor. 

If you have a pair of classics, then I'd actually encourage you to try the Naim first.

However, if you have non-classic Spendors, then I think you'll be better off with Odyssey equipment.  Especially given the drivers that Spendor currently uses and has been using for the past 5 or so years.

Anyhoo - that's just my long-winded take on the situation. 
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2017, 05:49 am by Zero »

JackD

Re: Odyssey vs Naim
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2017, 05:09 am »
I'm with Zero, if your Spendors are BBC based Classic's then try Naim but if not try Odyssey or something else that is not forward in character. I've owned Odyssey amps since 1999 and have yet to find a speaker they didn't play nice with.