Adding a sub?

schmidtmike76

Adding a sub?
« on: 12 Apr 2017, 12:47 pm »
Has anyone integrated a sub into there two channel set up.  I have a set of focal 1027be that I love but hunt for that extra oomph on the bottom.  My listening levels are around 80 db at best and 99% metal head.  BP26, 2.5(3), Pi, BDA3, crystal cables throughout. 

Phil A

Re: Adding a sub?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2017, 01:32 pm »
For music, I use Rel subs.  I have older models though

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2017, 12:24 am »
Has anyone integrated a sub into there two channel set up.  I have a set of focal 1027be that I love but hunt for that extra oomph on the bottom.  My listening levels are around 80 db at best and 99% metal head.  BP26, 2.5(3), Pi, BDA3, crystal cables throughout.

I was using a sub with my Bryston SP2 before getting the BCD-3. The sub amp I believe was shorting out and tripping the breaker to my room, so I unplugged it. I don't really need it as my 4 tower speakers is more than enough bass. The sub was just to take the bass strain off the amps so I could crank the volume more without clipping my 3B SST/2 amps.

That's the beauty of the SP2, on par with the BP26 but more options functionally. However the sub I don't believe would work in 2-channel bypass mode. Bryston needs a pre-amp to fill the gap between stereo and AVR receiver, but I'm content with my SP2.  I believe they are working on such a product. :smoke:

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2017, 12:38 am »
I use two subs with my Hoyt Bedford Type Ones.  An SVS and a Rythmic.  Excellent results to say the least.

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2017, 01:26 am »
I use a pair of subs to augment my VA Haydns.  They really bring cello to life.

I recommend getting Room EQ Wizard and learning how to use it.  If you can afford the time it really pays off.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2017, 01:15 pm »
Well I may add a sub stickly as a thickener.  I love my heavy metal I like to hear it but I like to feel it without blowing my ear drums.