What DAC have you replaced with the Lio DAC?

ebag4

« on: 28 Dec 2016, 04:55 am »

I am currently running an Auralic Vega, could I be happy with the DAC built into the Lio? 

What type of differences between the two?

Best,
Ed

yardbird4

Re: What DAC have you replaced with the Lio DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2016, 05:24 pm »

I am currently running an Auralic Vega, could I be happy with the DAC built into the Lio? 

What type of differences between the two?

Best,
Ed

I switched from a Bryston BDP 1, which is an excellent neutral sounding DAC.  The LIO DAC was not a step down in any way.  The DACs are close in quality and performance.  I think the LIO is probably a tad more organic in its presentation with all frequencies given equal attention.  The LIO has a slightly more analog presentation than the Bryston.

CSI

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2016, 05:51 pm »
My other DAC is a Decware ZDSD (modified Teac). I am keeping it because of the alternative flavor (a bit more mid bass forward than the LIO) and because I can use it to record music onto SD Cards. The LIO is now my primary DAC for most listening. I can't imagine anyone being less than delighted with it.

Sense63

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2016, 06:27 pm »
I had the PS audio Direct Stream DAC and was very happy with it.....until I heard the LIO DAC.  Although the PS Audio did many excellent things, the LIO was more organic and analog sounding.  The LIO DAC allowed me to pull a significant amount of money out of my system.  I hear that Vinnie may be working on an upgraded DAC that will take the performance to another level.   :thumb:  This is another reason the LIO continues to shine by giving the option to upgrade in the future.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2016, 09:36 pm »
I compared the AURALiC Vega to the LIO DAC. They're on the same level but integrating the DAC into the LIO eliminates one interconnect, one conventional power supply that's affected by AC purity and a power cord. It's a definite plus to integrate and sonically you'd lose nothing but, as others have said, might actually gain a bit of 'organic' qualities  :green:

jpm

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2016, 01:58 am »
Devialet Expert 120. I found myself with the opportunity to spend comparable amounts of money on a Lio solution or take advantage of Devialet's upgrade program. Now I get to compare the two for myself.

My initial impression was of a slightly brighter and more forward treble with Lio, but as I become accustomed to it, the Lio is sounding more natural than my recollection of the Devialet.  I've yet to do a side by side comparison and I typically use the Devialet with SAM at around 70%. 

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm »
Thanks to all that have responded.  I have had my eye on the LIO since it came out, I certainly believe in "off the grid" power.  If I go this route It would be to ultimately get down to a single box ( not including my microRendu, Sonic Transporter, NAS, Servo Amps, etc. :lol:). 

Best,
Ed

Vinnie R.

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:23 pm »
Thanks to all that have responded.  I have had my eye on the LIO since it came out, I certainly believe in "off the grid" power.  If I go this route It would be to ultimately get down to a single box ( not including my microRendu, Sonic Transporter, NAS, Servo Amps, etc. :lol:). 

Best,
Ed

All,

Thanks for your responses!

Hi Ed,

Sometime next month I'll be announcing even more enticing LIO module options that will hopefully seal the deal.  :wink:

Best regards,

Vinnie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:31 pm »
I compared the AURALiC Vega to the LIO DAC. They're on the same level but integrating the DAC into the LIO eliminates one interconnect, one conventional power supply that's affected by AC purity and a power cord. It's a definite plus to integrate and sonically you'd lose nothing but, as others have said, might actually gain a bit of 'organic' qualities  :green:

Well said Srajan.

My LIO replaced the Auralic Vega and I have never looked back.

George

mirekti

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:34 pm »
I have had my eye on the LIO since it came out, I certainly believe in "off the grid" power.  If I go this route It would be to ultimately get down to a single box.

Same here, I've been following this circle for a long before I pulled the trigger.
Having everything in a single box, clean power and a constant development of new modules is nowhere else to be found and so compelling.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it is worth repeating it. Bringing microrendu kind of network streamer into the one of the modules (I'd gladly remove analog-in from the game) would really make this an ultimate all in one device using its clean power. ...I am drooling. :)

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2016, 12:17 am »
Thanks guys.  George, I was wondering which DAC you were using now, I thought you were running the Vega.

Vinnie, you have my attention.  BTW, I currently run Elrog 300Bs in my amp, have you tried a set of those in the LIO yet?

Best,
Ed

SteveKi

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:15 pm »
Sometime next month I'll be announcing even more enticing LIO module options that will hopefully seal the deal.  :wink:
Vinnie

"Sometime"  :cry:  I was hoping that January 1st would be the day we find out how much we need to spend in 2017.
Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2017, 04:46 pm »
Thanks guys.  George, I was wondering which DAC you were using now, I thought you were running the Vega.

Vinnie, you have my attention.  BTW, I currently run Elrog 300Bs in my amp, have you tried a set of those in the LIO yet?

Best,
Ed

Hi Ed,

I have not tried the Elrog 300B in the LIO DHT PRE yet...

And I just got this email from a LIO DHT PRE customer:

The LIO with Takatsuki 300B sounds significantly better than the EH 2A3. Wider, more extended, sweeter and more organic. Worth the investment. Problem is that it's a one way street. Once you walk this path you cant go back.

Expensive tubes, but sooner or later I will need to try them  :drool:

Hi SteveKi,

Lol - I hear ya.  But I don't want to make any announcements until I have a more clear idea on timing and pricing
of the new goodies for LIO...

Vinnie

nfnc

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2017, 09:43 am »
I had the PS audio Direct Stream DAC and was very happy with it.....until I heard the LIO DAC.  Although the PS Audio did many excellent things, the LIO was more organic and analog sounding.  The LIO DAC allowed me to pull a significant amount of money out of my system.  I hear that Vinnie may be working on an upgraded DAC that will take the performance to another level.   :thumb:  This is another reason the LIO continues to shine by giving the option to upgrade in the future.

Apologies for reviving an old thread.  Have you had the chance to compare the PS Audio (with the Huron firmware) with the LIO DAC? 

I am looking for a DAC with built-in preamp to drive active speakers. Besides the PS Audio, the Chord DAVE is also on the shortlist.

On the other hand, the tube linestage + better analog volume control (RVC or AVC) is quite compelling.

Thanks.

Sense63

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2017, 10:06 am »
Since I don't have the PS audio anymore, I have not heard the new firmware update.

nfnc

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2017, 03:00 pm »
Thanks. Besides being more organic and analog sounding, was the LIO DAC as good as the PS Audio in the other aspects that the PS Audio excelled at?

Sense63

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2017, 03:39 pm »
Yes

nfnc

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2017, 04:07 pm »
Great. High hopes for the LIO DAC 2.0 then.

Sense63

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2017, 09:44 pm »
I hope so!