Swarm Invasion

JakeJ

Swarm Invasion
« on: 19 Jun 2008, 01:40 pm »
Hi All,

I received a Swarm from Duke to try with my Quad 988's. Woo Hoo! :D I will post my experience as it develops. First impression is there is great potential fill the missing low bass in my system.

Thanks for the opportunity, Duke!  :thumb:

Jake

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Swarm Invasion
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2008, 02:53 pm »
we want pics.... :D :D :D

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2008, 03:42 pm »
Ask and ye shall receive! Please forgive my forum faux pas.  :duh:

Please excuse the mess. During normal listening the door would be shut and there would be another bass trap column in that corner. Picture was taken at 3 AM.

Anyone who has played with the Swarm please let me know what your findings on placement were/are.

Regards,
Jake

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2008, 04:58 pm »
A couple of questions...

Is it four small subs or are there more?

Are all the subs powered?  If so, is it by a single amp or multiple amps?

How is the crossover implemented or is it passive?

What is the range to use the Swarm in?

Thanks for either your response or Duke's.

George

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2008, 06:56 pm »
Thats looking subaliscious. Can you hear anything but bass now? hehe.
Mike

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2008, 07:00 pm »
A couple of questions...

Is it four small subs or are there more?

Are all the subs powered?  If so, is it by a single amp or multiple amps?

How is the crossover implemented or is it passive?

What is the range to use the Swarm in?

Thanks for either your response or Duke's.

George

The Swarm consists of five boxes, four sub cabinets and a box with a single stereo plate amp mounted in it. All are MDF veneered in Oak. The amp box also has two terminal cups for the two channels of output. Each sub cabinet has a 6"(?) driver of mysterious make mounted on one of the long, narrow faces with the port and terminal cup. I am using the line level inputs so the low pass is active(?) in there and the Quads run full-range. I may pick up a Behringer DCX1496 so I can actively cut-off the signal to the Quads at ~80Hz or slightly above. Then pass off everything below that point to the Swarm. The amp has a 40 - 180Hz crossover control and of course a gain control to match it to the main amp(s), a phase reversal switch, off/auto/on switch, IEC power connector, and speaker level I/O.

Hope that answers your questions so far, zybar. I'm sure you'll have more and hopefully I can answer them as get more experience.

So far I like what I hear and am working to get them integrated into the system and room.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards,
Jake

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2008, 07:08 pm »
Very cool!   aa

Lee

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2008, 07:09 pm »
I use an Ashly 3.24 CL for sub to panel intergration on my stuff.  I used the Behringer with great results but found the Ashly far superior.  With the quality of your components I'm sure you will find the same.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2008, 07:36 pm »
I use an Ashly 3.24 CL for sub to panel integration on my stuff.  I used the Behringer with great results but found the Ashly far superior.  With the quality of your components I'm sure you will find the same.

Hi jtwrace,

Thanks for the tip, I'll research it. Had also been considering Marchand but thought that might be cost prohibitive. What panels and sub are integrating?

Thanks,
Jake

brj

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2008, 07:36 pm »
With 4 subwoofers fed via a single channel, you may want to look at this Harmon International whitepaper, which specifically looks at the optimal placement when using multiple subwoofers.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:16 pm »
They are stereo subs, but will read any info I can get my hands on.

Thank you, brj

Jake

youngho

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:28 pm »
Jake, the Swarm system is based on a white paper by Earl Geddes, which you can read here:
http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/sub%20study%20.pdf

Basically, you will want to scatter the subwoofers almost randomly, so it would be better if the setup were asymmetric with at least one subwoofer off the ground. I'm sure Duke can comment more.

Young-Ho

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:38 pm »
I use an Ashly 3.24 CL for sub to panel integration on my stuff.  I used the Behringer with great results but found the Ashly far superior.  With the quality of your components I'm sure you will find the same.

Hi jtwrace,

Thanks for the tip, I'll research it. Had also been considering Marchand but thought that might be cost prohibitive. What panels and sub are integrating?

Thanks,
Jake

Jake,

I am using the Final Sound 1000i to my own sub that is based on the Rythmik Audio kit (12" servo).

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2008, 09:41 pm »
Jake, the Swarm system is based on a white paper by Earl Geddes, which you can read here:

Basically, you will want to scatter the subwoofers almost randomly, so it would be better if the setup were asymmetric with at least one subwoofer off the ground. I'm sure Duke can comment more.

Young-Ho

Do all the subs have to be of exactly the same construction, size and type?

-Roy

ohenry

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2008, 10:38 pm »
I'm interested in learning more about the stereo plate amp as well.  Hey Duke, will you be offering that amp for sale?

JakeJ

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2008, 12:34 am »

Hi jtwrace,

Thanks,
Jake

Jake,

I am using the Final Sound 1000i to my own sub that is based on the Rythmik Audio kit (12" servo).

jtwrace-

Rythmik has my attention and that Ashley unit looks much more like what I want not just for this project but others as well. Very pricey, though! Very versatile, thanks for the tip.

Young-Ho

Do all the subs have to be of exactly the same construction, size and type?

-Roy

Well, all four drivers are the same so it makes sense that all the cabs are same size and shape. Easier to pack and ship as a commercial product.

I'm interested in learning more about the stereo plate amp as well.  Hey Duke, will you be offering that amp for sale?

Here is the amp Duke supplied with this particular Swarm.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-804
The future plan is to use a higher powered model. But this unit has plenty of power for my space.

Jake

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2008, 05:16 am »
Gosh, sorry I'm so late to the party.  I just now found this thread.  Jake had told me he was going to post, but I didn't expect it so soon.

Okay, the Swarm that Jake has is probably the last set that will use a plate amp.  By the time that little wooden amp enclosure is added in, it's not very cost-effective.  I have since found a rack-mount amp that is more powerful than I need, but it has the nice added feature of a single band of parametric EQ.  This is to address any remaining areas of over-emphasis, because as Young Ho noted the ideal setup would have one of the subs raised up near the ceiling to help smooth the floor-to-ceiling mode but in practice that's not really practical. 

That isn't really a stereo plate amp - I just set it up to have two sets of outputs.  It's actually a mono signal that's driving the four subs.  However, my understanding is that very, very few recordings have stereo information below 80 Hz.  I am friends with a researcher who once was tasked with finding out how many CDs have stereo bass, so he had all his co-workers bring in their CD collections and he went through them.  He told me that he did not find a single one with stereo information below 80 Hz.  Now that's not to say it never exists, but evidently it is rare.  For those who want stereo bass, the regular production Swarm can be set up that way just by adding a second rack-mount amp.

The holdup on the rack-mount amp version is that it doesn't have speaker-level inputs.  I'm investigating several possible solutions to that, but until I get it resolved it really isn't a "complete" product.

For those of you with DIY in your blood, if you're gonna do a SwarmClone you need to get a plate amp or rack-mount amp that has a 4th order low-pass filter, so that if you scatter them widely they don't betray their location.

The theoretically preferred arrangement is with subs widely scattered, as youngho says.  Since vertical scattering is impractical, I set them up so that two of the subs have the woofer high and the port low on the "business" side, and the other two have the woofer low and port high.  I'm not sure this makes a significant difference, but it makes me feel like at least I tried.

My source for the asymmetrical scattered multisub concept is indeed Earl Geddes.  He and I were riding in my car and he described it, and a lightbulb went off in my head.  For years I had been dinking around off and on with various "Maggie-friendly" subwoofer concepts.  I tried dipole, transmission line, lowQ sealed box, but never really got a good blend.

Todd Welti, author of that Harmon paper, is probably the leading researcher on the subject of multiple subwoofers.  His paper looks at symmetrical rather than asymmetrical placement.  Rather than get into a shoot-out with his followers over which is best, I'll just harp on the main point that more is better in either case, and you can buy my product (or do your own version) and try it both ways and make up your own mind.

Now nobody asked yet, so I'll ask it:  Why a ported box?  "Everybody knows" ported boxes are boomy, sealed boxes are better, transmission lines are better still, etc.

Well for one thing, to get anywhere near comparable output and extension from a sealed or transmission line box, the costs would have gone way, way up.  We'd be looking at close to three grand, intead of $1700 (less 10% from my ongoing sale).   

Second, the ideal shape for a subwoofer's frequency response curve is very difficult to realize with a sealed or transmission line system without equalization, but it's not that hard with a vented box.  And what is that ideal frequency response curve?  Well, let's look at a "typical room gain" curve and see what it tells us.  Here's one:

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1020/rge.gif

Okay, what you are seeing is a roughly 3 dB per octave rise below 100 Hz.  Now this won't be the case in every room, and might not be the exact case in any room, but since this is approximately what will happen to the subwoofer's output we might as well take it into account.  Failure to take room gain into account results in too much energy at the bottom end of the spectrum, making the system sounds heavy and slow.

So, the Swarm modules have a response that falls by approximately 3 dB per octave below 100 Hz, down to about 25 Hz, below which the response falls off fairly rapidly. 

Now in the prototype stage I did a shootout with a Qtc = .5 sealed box that I built, one-on-one, subo a subo.  The sealed box had a bit more impact on kick-drum, but the tone of other bass instruments was more natural-sounding with the vented box.  So, it's a bit of a tradeoff.  Except, to have equal out level capability (and still inferior extension), the sealed box requires a woofer that costs over four times as much.  Guess who that cost would get passed on to? 

So the Ultimate Swarm would probably use equalized sealed boxes, but it would probably be so expensive that you might as well go see if you JL Audio or REL dealer will give you a sweetheart deal if you buy four of them.

Well I kinda got to rambling there a bit.  Okay, back to your questions:

Rajacat asked, "Do all the subs have to be of exactly the same construction, size and type?"

The answer is no, and in fact Geddes says that it's best if they're all somewhat different.  I experimented with tuning each of the four differently vs tuning them all the same (as low as is practical), and I preferred them all the same by a small margin - in this case, they sounded a little bit tighter to me with the low tuning.  But if you already have one or two subs and don't feel like selling them and starting over, you can add others subs that are smaller and cheaper and probably end up in about the same place (and maybe even a bit better).  Only thing is, remember that if you're going to scatter them, whether a la Geddes or a la Welti, you want a 4th order low-pass filter rolling off the subs on top, so that you can't hear their locations.  I suppose the two near the main speakers could have a 2nd order filter, but any that will be placed far away from the main speakers should have a 4th order filter.

The anticipated maximum output level of the Swarm system is roughly equal to a pair of Maggies driven by a 400 watt per channel amp, assuming the regular production big amp (which is actually powerful enough to cook the little woofers, so a little bit of sanity is called for).  With the smaller amp that Jake has, the Swarm can keep up with about 200 watts per channel on a pair of Maggies.

Feel free to fire away with any questions or challenges or whatever.  I'll post about unorthodox polarity options another time.

Thank you all for participating here.  Thanks for starting this thread Jake, and youngho it's good to see you again.

Duke

Michael Anderson

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2008, 05:57 am »
Hello Duke, This distributed sub thing is really interesting and has considerable credibility given the people who support it. I am interested in your comments that you need at least  4 th order / 80 Hz rolloff on the subs to prevent localisation with this configuration. I'm sure you would know Dr Geddes uses at least some of his subs as high as 150 Hz to smooth bass throughout the room mode frequency region. I dont want to put you in conflict with Dr Geddes but would it be fair to say that you would expect multiple randomly placed subs to be able to be localised or discerned as seperate sources used at this high a frequency. Thanks Mike

ooheadsoo

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2008, 06:05 am »
Hi Duke.  What would you suggest for a speaker system that already extends to 30hz -3db down from reference - which is fine in an anechoic chamber, but in a bad room just doesn't respond very well to room treatment?  It's nearly impossible to get a subwoofer that crosses below 30hz, and yet, the bass/room interaction problem extends much higher in frequency - and still yet, you don't want to high pass the main speakers, because then, you might as well have bought higher quality satellite speakers or small bookshelves.  I was considering buying a couple more subwoofers crossed over at 40hz (the lowest that seems readily available) and living with the compromise in the overlapping region, but it's an expensive experiment.

youngho

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:53 am »
Michael, Jake is using Quads, which present a dipolar soundfield, thus the modal bass issues will differ from a conventional box speaker's. For some folks who use a home theater setup, the presence of at least five channels may reduce some of the modal issues in this part of the frequency spectrum. Empirical measurements should be an essential part of the setup process, since theory can sometimes be one thing but practice another.

Ooheadsoo, have you already invested a few thousand dollars in non-foam acoustic products, like the largest diameter Tube Traps or the rather more cost-effective GiK Monster Bass Traps or RealTraps MondoTraps? Perhaps you might also post your query, with specifics about your room and system and frequency problems, to the Acoustics forum. If you're committed to a subwoofer, you might contact Mark Seaton about a custom version of the Submersive.

I should add that Welti's paper is simply not relevant to Jake's L-shaped room, since the effects depend on room symmetry (for mode cancellation), among other things.