Using Oppo BDP-95 DAC's

jayu969

Using Oppo BDP-95 DAC's
« on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:34 am »
I am planning to use the DAC in my Oppo BDP-95 to do the D/A from my music server. Anyone have experience using one?

Thanks,
Jay

krustykat

Re: Using Oppo BDP-95 DAC's
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2015, 10:48 pm »
You won't be able to connect your music server directly to a BDP-95 as it doesn't have an input to the DAC.  If you need to use your player as a DAC you should look at the BDP-105 instead.  But, if your music server supports uPnP then you can stream from the music server to the BDP-95 over ethernet.  Onscreen navigation is horrible and slow, but it works well, sounds quite good and supports most audio formats except DSD.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2015, 12:45 am »
Not true. The BDP-95 has several digital inputs. That's one of the big reasons for buying one, prior to the 105. I'm not certain about its USB capabilities. I'd have to look that up. But, regardless, you can always buy a good USB to Coax converter.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2015, 01:04 am »
Not true. The BDP-95 has several digital inputs. That's one of the big reasons for buying one, prior to the 105. I'm not certain about its USB capabilities. I'd have to look that up. But, regardless, you can always buy a good USB to Coax converter.

?  - https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Support.aspx

Where are the digital inputs?

krustykat

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2015, 02:23 am »
The USB inputs on the BDP-95 do not work as a DAC.  They can only be used with Oppo's wireless ethernet adapter or external USB attached storage. 

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2015, 03:37 am »
My bad. You guys are right. :oops:
I could've sworn the 95 had digital (for DAC use) inputs. I'm probably getting the original 105 mixed up with the 95, since the 95 wasn't on the market for all that long when the 105 was released. Doesn't help going from memory when they look nearly identical, either. Thank goodness it's nearly Friday.

riffer

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2015, 11:15 pm »
I ran the 95 for less than a year using it to play music off my server.  Sound quality was quite good, but I just couldn't get used to the kludgey DLNA interface and switched back to a Squeezebox based system.