Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Krutsch

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1000 on: 17 Jul 2015, 03:22 pm »
Chris,

Downloaded Build: S2.17 2015-07-06 ... nice work and does address some of the things I've noticed with the Bryston DB updates.

I'll skip the little things I'm seeing, and have mostly already reported here and the Bryston support forum.

One issue I am seeing: album sorting within an Artist grouping in the Artists View.

Artists I've recently visited seem to retain the same, random sorting from before this update. Artists I click on that I haven't recently viewed now seem to sort correctly (i.e. by album title, alphabetically).

Is it possible that something is cached somewhere that is retaining the previous, incorrect sort ordering? I *did* Update the MPD database, clicked on "Rebuild DB", restarted the BDP-1 and then navigated into the Media Player / Artists View (which triggered a rebuild).

Manic Moose keeps getting better with each new BETA build, so keep up the great work!

-- Ken

I just want to bump this. I installed: S2.17 2015-07-15 this morning, rebuilt everything (MPD and Bryston DB) and I am still seeing this odd sorting behavior.

Maybe I don't understand the sorting methodology, but many of the Artists seems to have random album sorting in the Artists View.

-- Ken

Samurai7595

« Reply #1001 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:24 pm »
I've upgraded my unit to S2.12 and also replaced the old sound card with the new IAD.

All is working great however, I noticed that in MPoD (iPhone 6 Plus), I've lost some of the Album Art (Album Covers).  I took a second look on my USB memory stick and the Folder.jpg files are still there.  I did an Update Database and Refresh Local Cache but it did not fix my issue.

Any idea?

Krutsch

« Reply #1002 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:29 pm »
Yes... Folder.jpg and folder.jpg are not the same. MPD, et al. are case sensitive with the cover art names.

This tripped me up with MPaD for a while.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1003 on: 18 Jul 2015, 12:08 am »
I just want to bump this. I installed: S2.17 2015-07-15 this morning, rebuilt everything (MPD and Bryston DB) and I am still seeing this odd sorting behavior.

Maybe I don't understand the sorting methodology, but many of the Artists seems to have random album sorting in the Artists View.

-- Ken

We are aware, infact it was acknowledged but not shown in the most recent manic moose intro video we posted earlier this week.  Simply, havn't gotten around to fixing it yet, but will before we release S2.18.  The revamping of the Bryston db was a last minute decision.

Marius

« Reply #1004 on: 18 Jul 2015, 01:39 pm »
HI Chris,

Lately my BDP with MM has difficulty updating the DB with newly added songs/albums. Clicking the plus sign in the red entries seems to have no effect. ( i must admit it is a 2tb drive with only 7 or so GB left.)

Ive tried updating the drive in Settings/Disk information, but that doesn't do anything either.

Before i click the general update button again id like to aks you if we can update though ssh, and if yes, how...

if it would be possible to update a whole folder, with deleted files also, that would be very nice to know and use.

More than once i stumble on a typo in the file naming, and up to now, we can only correct that with a full db update, which still seems overkill to me. Having a ssh command for that would be marvelous.

Thanks,
Marius

Samurai7595

« Reply #1005 on: 18 Jul 2015, 03:51 pm »
Yes... Folder.jpg and folder.jpg are not the same. MPD, et al. are case sensitive with the cover art names.

This tripped me up with MPaD for a while.

All my album art/covers are named Folder.jpg yet most of them are visible except for a handful which don't come up ever since the upgrade.

Before the upgrade (S1.60), all were visible.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2015, 05:29 pm by Samurai7595 »

Krutsch

« Reply #1006 on: 18 Jul 2015, 07:10 pm »
We are aware, infact it was acknowledged but not shown in the most recent manic moose intro video we posted earlier this week.  Simply, havn't gotten around to fixing it yet, but will before we release S2.18.  The revamping of the Bryston db was a last minute decision.

Thanks and my apologies... I missed the acknowledgement part.

Krutsch

« Reply #1007 on: 18 Jul 2015, 07:14 pm »
All my album art/covers are named Folder.jpg yet most of them are visible except for a handful which don't come up ever since the upgrade.

Before the upgrade (S1.60), all were visible.

Oh, I just realized you are on an older version. Do any of your albums missing artwork have special characters in the physical path name? Like '[', ']', '#' or '$'?

Seriously - I uncovered this sometime back and found that renaming the path/folder name to exclude the above characters, art work reappeared. I am not talking about the meta data (album tags), I am referring to the actual folder name containing the tracks and album art.

This may have been fixed in a later BETA version, but I went through my collection and renamed folders to remove special characters.

Samurai7595

« Reply #1008 on: 19 Jul 2015, 01:45 pm »
Oh, I just realized you are on an older version. Do any of your albums missing artwork have special characters in the physical path name? Like '[', ']', '#' or '$'?

Seriously - I uncovered this sometime back and found that renaming the path/folder name to exclude the above characters, art work reappeared. I am not talking about the meta data (album tags), I am referring to the actual folder name containing the tracks and album art.

This may have been fixed in a later BETA version, but I went through my collection and renamed folders to remove special characters.

To clarify, I was on S1.60 and now I'm on S2.12.

With S1.60 all album art was visible but with S2.12 some album art disappeared.

I'll take a look to see if I have any special characters but I highly doubt it.

mv

« Reply #1009 on: 23 Jul 2015, 02:00 am »

-- Ken

Has S2.17 been released officially?

I just tried to update the firmware of my BDP-2, and am getting that S2.16 is the latest version.

MoPac

« Reply #1010 on: 23 Jul 2015, 07:50 pm »
BDP-2  S2.16 2015-06-19

Will be demoing a DSD DAC, so to be sure what to do I hooked up USB to my present DAC.  This forced me to pay closer attention to the Settings / Audio Devices screen.  I had taken a cursory glance at that screen in the first few days of ownership, but never really paid close attention.
 Looking at Audio Devices section in the MM manual I see one listing of the ESI Juli@ card as well as the Bryston and Ayre DACs.  On my Audio Devices screen there are two listings of Juli@ ( see photo ).  Is this normal?

Also a couple questions about the buttons: Enable   Disable
1.  When using USB would it be advisable to "Disable" the Juli@ card?
2.  When activating a new device what order of execution... Enable-Restart-Apply  or  Restart-Enable-Apply

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1011 on: 23 Jul 2015, 11:57 pm »
To clarify, I was on S1.60 and now I'm on S2.12.

With S1.60 all album art was visible but with S2.12 some album art disappeared.

I'll take a look to see if I have any special characters but I highly doubt it.

Is it picture are embedded in the file or a seperate picture file?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1012 on: 23 Jul 2015, 11:59 pm »
Has S2.17 been released officially?

I just tried to update the firmware of my BDP-2, and am getting that S2.16 is the latest version.

You have to tell the BDP you want the beta/testing version.  S2.17 all be released as S2.18 once it's ready.", we are still working our some issues with the new Bryston db software.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=134

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1013 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:06 am »
BDP-2  S2.16 2015-06-19

Will be demoing a DSD DAC, so to be sure what to do I hooked up USB to my present DAC.  This forced me to pay closer attention to the Settings / Audio Devices screen.  I had taken a cursory glance at that screen in the first few days of ownership, but never really paid close attention.
 Looking at Audio Devices section in the MM manual I see one listing of the ESI Juli@ card as well as the Bryston and Ayre DACs.  On my Audio Devices screen there are two listings of Juli@ ( see photo ).  Is this normal?

Also a couple questions about the buttons: Enable   Disable
1.  When using USB would it be advisable to "Disable" the Juli@ card?
2.  When activating a new device what order of execution... Enable-Restart-Apply  or  Restart-Enable-Apply

The Juli@ card has two output deves, a digital and an analog, so it's listed twice.

The disable/enable buttons are needed for certain third party Dac's.  During the release of the BDP-1USB a customer reported that his USB dac didn't function with the BDP.  It had turned out that the USB DAC was reporting two output devices, but could only use one at a time.

There should be no need to use enable unless you have disabled eye interface in the first place.  You only use apply if your changing a Dac's DSD enabled state.  Restart is used if one of your interfaces is high lighted in red.  A restart command is also issued automatically with the apply function. 

This is all covered in the BDP intro video posted last week.

MoPac

« Reply #1014 on: 24 Jul 2015, 02:44 am »

This is all covered in the BDP intro video posted last week.
Chris:
 Thanks for the information.  The latest "Instructional Videos" are from 2013.  Where is the one you are referring to?

Thanks, Rich

Samurai7595

« Reply #1015 on: 24 Jul 2015, 11:54 am »
Is it picture are embedded in the file or a seperate picture file?

All album art (picture) is called Folder.jpg and for each album, the Folder.jpg file is in the same location (folder) as the list of songs.

This is true for all my albums.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1016 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:26 pm »
Chris:
 Thanks for the information.  The latest "Instructional Videos" are from 2013.  Where is the one you are referring to?

Thanks, Rich

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110296.1100

Krutsch

« Reply #1017 on: 28 Jul 2015, 06:13 am »

To make use of my exported iTunes playlists with the BDP-1, I switched from my FLAC library to my Apple Lossless library. These files haven't had special characters removed from the enclosing folder name, unlike my FLAC library. So, albums like 'Round Midnight by Miles David show no album art (the single quote). Similarly, Ke$ha is absent album art work (the dollar sign), as well as Beethoven_ Piano Sonatas #28 & 29 by Mitsuko Uchida (the hashtag).

Just bumping this issue with the hope a fix for this makes it into a future release. Sorry to be a pain... I really am trying to be helpful.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1018 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:41 am »
To make use of my exported iTunes playlists with the BDP-1, I switched from my FLAC library to my Apple Lossless library. These files haven't had special characters removed from the enclosing folder name, unlike my FLAC library. So, albums like 'Round Midnight by Miles David show no album art (the single quote). Similarly, Ke$ha is absent album art work (the dollar sign), as well as Beethoven_ Piano Sonatas #28 & 29 by Mitsuko Uchida (the hashtag).

Just bumping this issue with the hope a fix for this makes it into a future release. Sorry to be a pain... I really am trying to be helpful.

Hi Krutsch

All input is welcome - it helps us make our products better.  :thumb:

james

Krutsch

« Reply #1019 on: 11 Aug 2015, 05:09 am »
Hi Krutsch

All input is welcome - it helps us make our products better.  :thumb:

james

Excellent. Here's some additional input. I am running the latest BETA (S2.17 2015-08-06) and now all of my tracks within an album sort like this:

1, 10, 11, ... 19, 2, 3, ... N

If you have more than 20 tracks in an album, it looks like:

1, 10, ... 19, 2, 20, 21... 29, 3, ... M

The tracks display this way and actually play back in this order. This is a new issue from this build.

No changes to the album art missing from folders named with spacial characters (I assume this is still in-progress).