Using Smart Strip + PSU a Bad Idea?

megabigeye

Using Smart Strip + PSU a Bad Idea?
« on: 22 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm »
Hi all,
So technically this isn't really about power conditioning, but I really can't think of another more appropriate circle to put this.  If I've done something wrong, I apologize in advance.

Okay, here's what I want to do: use a Smart Strip surge protector on my system, using a KingRex PSU (powering a NuForce HDP) as the master switch.  The problem is that I'm not certain the KingRex is safe for that application.  I currently leave the PSU on constantly because when I use it to power on/off, there is an audible "thud" through the speakers if my amp is on, but even if the HDP is off.  I'm no expert on the subject, but I'd guess this means there is a sudden current going from the PSU, through the HDP, through the amp, and into my speakers.
The thud is pretty quiet, so I'm not terribly worried about speakers or amp, but I can't imagine that this would be good for the HDP.

The setup I'm wondering about would look something like this:
Master outlet -- KingRex PSU >> NuForce HDP
Always-on 1 -- modem
Always-on 2 -- wireless router
Always-on 3 -- Mac Mini
Slave 1 -- amp
Slave 2 -- turntable
Slave 3 -- phono preamp
Slave 4 -- BluRay player
Slave 5 -- subwoofer
Slave 6 -- TV

What I'm wondering is whether I'm right about this being unsafe?  Is there another (inexpensive) PSU that won't cause that sudden current spike on turn on?  Is it even a good idea to completely power down/up audio equipment on a regular basis?

Anecdotally, I should also mention that I used to use the same PSU on a KingRex T-amp until that amp stopped powering on at all.  I've kind of assumed that it died because of the PSU thump, but I have no way to actually confirm that.

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Waker

Re: Using Smart Strip + PSU a Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:34 am »
Try to avoid that power strip altogether and just put your DAC on the PSU.  Always turn off your amp and sub when done listening, and turn them on last when about t to listen--this will avoid amplifying your other power-ups into your speakers.  Try to buy a used Richard Gray 400 or 600, or a small Torus isolation transformer and use only for your front-end pieces, and plug amp and sub into the wall.  You have spent some money and enjoy a number of sources--your best money now will be on one of the better devices to provide surge suppression and clean power-on-demand for your DAC, Mac, blu-ray, phono amp, turntable. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2015, 01:28 pm »
Not an answer to your question, but in the pro-audio world the turn-on/turn-off time sequence is:

Turn-on:
1] Music sources.
2] Controllers like pre-amps, consoles, EQ's and active crossovers.
3] High power consumption components like power amps, active speakers, sub-woofers and TV's.

Turn-off:
1] High power consumption components like power amps, active speakers, sub-woofers and TV's.
2] Controllers like pre-amps, consoles, EQ's and active crossovers.
3] Music sources.

megabigeye

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2015, 02:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

Speedskater,
I thought I remembered reading that the preamp should be the last to be turned on/off?  I'm probably mis-remembering.  I'll try your way in the future.  Now the challenge is getting my girlfriend to remember it, too. :wink:

Waker,
Yeah, the HDP is directly connected to the PSU and would remain connected in that way with the Smart Strip.  Like I said, I leave the PSU switched on all the time because I don't like the power surge/thud (to be fair, it's really more of a "pop") when I turn it on/off.  I always turn off the power amp (a Virtue One.3) and the sub has an automatic standby feature.
I'm not currently in the market for proper power conditioning (too poor/cheap!(plus uncertain I'd hear a difference)), but I'll keep Richard Gray in mind for future reference.

Let me clarify a bit:
HDP power switch = off position (standby)
power amp switch = on (yes, I realize now that this isn't what I should be doing; I'm just using this as an example)
PSU = off >> on
In this scenario, I hear a soft pop through the speakers.  To me this means there is a sudden power surge going through the HDP, whether or not the power amp is on, and that it is unsafe for the HDP.  Am I wrong about this?  I'm assuming it's not safer to have the HDP in the on position?

The reason I want to use the Smart Strip is to be cheap and green.  I don't like the thought of all those components using energy all day while I'm away.  I assume the power quality will be similar to the surge protectors I'm currently using.
Maybe I'll ask what they think over in the NuPrime circle, too.

Thanks again for your input.  People here are always very helpful.  :thumb:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2015, 12:10 am »
As for turn-on/turn-off, the only things in a hi-fi system that really matter are the:

High power consumption components like power amps, active speakers, sub-woofers and TV's.