DIY Controlled-Directivity OB speaker

A2snider

DIY Controlled-Directivity OB speaker
« on: 24 May 2014, 01:09 am »
After long break from the hobby I have gotten bit again by the DIY audio hobby.

For the last few years I have been using Magnepan MMGs for my primary listening but have lately become intrigued with the idea of controlled directivity and high dynamic speakers.  I would however like to keep the open sound of the MMGs.  However I find myself missing the dynamics of traditional speakers at times.

This has led me to the idea of a controlled directivity horn matted to an open baffle woofer.  After some digging I have found that indeed my idea was not as original as I thought and that the Emerald Physics cs2 has existed for years.   While in the spirit of DIY I hope to improve on this design.  My project therefore is a kind of colane of the cs2 I suppose with some unique changes, at least I think.

First of all I will be using a MiniDSP for all eq and crossovers as I already have one in use in my system, Secondly after a lot of looking around I am pretty set on using a SEOS 12 waveguide mated to the Denovo Audio DNA-360.

The mid/woofer is where I am having trouble making a selection.  My goal is to crossover the DNA-360 at about 1k hz, this requires a 12 to 15 in woofer to match directivity at the crossover.  There seems to be endless choices of driver of this size and am looking for recommendations.  My main goals for the project are high sensitivity and controlled directivity.  Ideally I would like to find a driver for less than $100 available in the US that would be better performing then the Eminence Alpha 15s.

Some of the drivers I am considering include.

Eminence Beta 15a – These are reported to have better sound then the Alphas

Dayton Audio PA380-8 15 - lower QTS but should be able to compensate with EQ

MCM 55-2983 15 – Have heard that MCM drivers can be hit or miss but this one seems well reviewed

Ideally I would like the woofers to operate in the range of about 80 hz to 1k hz.  Below 80 hz I am planning to use multiple EQed sealed subs for the bottom end.

Any recommendations or further information to read would be greatly appreciated. 
Also if I am barking up the wrong tree and there is a better way of reaching my primary goals please let me know thanks.

AMS