LDRx/LDRxB Passive Preamp Tour 2015 - Impressions

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: LDRx/LDRxB Passive Preamp Tour 2015 - Impressions
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2015, 02:59 pm »
Anymore updates?  Cloudbaseracer?  I know Morten doesn't require feedback but....

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:10 pm »
Why isn't anyone leaving feedback? 

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2015, 03:15 pm »
Why isn't anyone leaving feedback?

The last participant ran out of time due to pressing personal matters and so was unable to do a proper audition before passing the unit on. So it goes. Onward to Chicago!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2015, 04:40 pm »
The last participant ran out of time due to pressing personal matters and so was unable to do a proper audition before passing the unit on. So it goes. Onward to Chicago!

Wow, this post was made five hours in the future! Technology is great, ain't it????

Shakey

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2015, 04:43 pm »
Wow, this post was made five hours in the future! Technology is great, ain't it????

Shakey
What do you mean?

EDIT:  If your time is off you can adjust that.  Profile > Account Settings > Look and Layout. 

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2015, 08:12 pm »
Darn, and there I was think'n we were on to some kind of temporal time warp phenomena. Temporal time - from the department of redundancy department.  :lol:

Randy

« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2015, 08:47 pm »
I may be all wet, but isn't Audio Circle run out of Australia, hence the default time is Aussie time?  At least that was my impression in the early days.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:09 pm »
I guess the tour has stopped permanently? 

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2015, 06:06 pm »
I guess the tour has stopped permanently?

Nope. Slow walked to death, yes. Abandoned, no. Embarrassingly delayed, you bet. It will resume soon.

glory

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2015, 03:42 am »
Had the Lightspeed and sold it so now will try this guy out. JMsound is selling units for $1195.00?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2015, 02:19 pm »
Had the Lightspeed and sold it so now will try this guy out. JMsound is selling units for $1195.00?

We only sell direct through our website and not through dealers. The tradeoff is we can offer better gear at lower prices but we give up marketing channels. Our LDR3.V2 model sells for $1195. You can find out more about that model via the link below. The tour unit is our bigger balanced model, the LDRxB.

We have a buy-try-decide 30 day audition policy so you don't have to worry about getting stuck buying something "unheard" should it not work out for you. We rarely get audition returns.

http://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/ldr3-v2-passive-preamp/

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2015, 02:22 pm »
After an extended hiatus, the LDRxB 2015 tour resumes this week.

I'm going to refrain from offering an explanation for the delay because it's too lame to explain. In the interim nothing has changed in either the hardware or firmware. Onwards!

Cheers,
Morten

steve f

« Reply #32 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:06 pm »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2015, 05:15 pm by steve f »

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
« Reply #33 on: 1 Jul 2015, 11:04 pm »
After an extended hiatus, the LDRxB 2015 tour resumes this week.

I'm going to refrain from offering an explanation for the delay because it's too lame to explain. In the interim nothing has changed in either the hardware or firmware. Onwards!

Cheers,
Morten

Is there an opportunity to participate in this tour? How do I sign up?

Also, what is the bandwidth of your LDRxB and how does it vary with attenuation setting (this is not specified on your website)? Given it's a passive design, I expect the BW is also a function of the load impedance, so to be more precise, what is the BW into 20kΩ load?

Thanks! Joe

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2015, 03:14 pm »
Is there an opportunity to participate in this tour? How do I sign up?

Also, what is the bandwidth of your LDRxB and how does it vary with attenuation setting (this is not specified on your website)? Given it's a passive design, I expect the BW is also a function of the load impedance, so to be more precise, what is the BW into 20kΩ load?

Thanks! Joe

The LDRxB tour is full up currently but if that changes I'll try to remember to let you know.

I'm not sure what you mean by bandwidth in this context. The frequency response of passives are usually flat as it gets. If you mean input impedance then that is something that can be adjusted by the user to optimize performance.

An overview of adjustable impedance can be found on our website here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-7

An overview of how output impedance varies with attenuation can be found here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-10

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
« Reply #35 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:37 pm »
The LDRxB tour is full up currently but if that changes I'll try to remember to let you know.

I'm not sure what you mean by bandwidth in this context. The frequency response of passives are usually flat as it gets. If you mean input impedance then that is something that can be adjusted by the user to optimize performance.

I mean bandwidth as in frequency response. I can't find any info on your website as to the technology used in the LDRs but I assume they are semiconductor based (i.e. they are not thin film resistors which would have very high BW) so I'm wondering what is the BW of the system? Also, given the variable (and high) output impedance, the capacitive load of the cables and amplifier input will impact the frequency response of the system when driven by your preamp so not sure how to account for that in a standalone measurement of frequency response of the preamp. In other words, this component now becomes part of a system comprised of the source impedance into the preamp, the interconnects to the amps, and the amplifier complex input impedance - and the volume setting!

I'm thinking the frequency response should be quite good and this is something you should promote as a benefit of this approach but I simply don't have enough information to make an informed judgment.

Please do keep me in mind if a spot opens up on the tour. I know someone using your LDRXB and he raves about it but I would want to hear one in my system to evaluate how it performs in my specific scenario.

Thanks, Joe

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #36 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:48 pm »
I mean bandwidth as in frequency response. I can't find any info on your website as to the technology used in the LDRs but I assume they are semiconductor based (i.e. they are not thin film resistors which would have very high BW) so I'm wondering what is the BW of the system?
There's no info on frequency response because it's a purely resistive device. Much like a resistor or a pot there's no capacitance or inductance to speak of in the audio band. I believe the photoresistor material is considered a type of thin-film semiconductor.

Also, given the variable (and high) output impedance, the capacitive load of the cables and amplifier input will impact the frequency response of the system when driven by your preamp so not sure how to account for that in a standalone measurement of frequency response of the preamp. In other words, this component now becomes part of a system comprised of the source impedance into the preamp, the interconnects to the amps, and the amplifier complex input impedance - and the volume setting!

This is all true but quite easy to avoid becoming an issue. I've run calculations on this and as long as you use decent quality (i.e. low capacitance) interconnects between the preamp and amp and limit the cable length to say 6-8 feet or less you're not going to experience any roll-off of the high end. I had one reviewer who had 25 foot ICs and I warned him this could be an issue and he went ahead anyway and swore he couldn't discern any problem. I don't recommend doing that but there you are.

I'm thinking the frequency response should be quite good and this is something you should promote as a benefit of this approach but I simply don't have enough information to make an informed judgment.

It doesn't get any better than flat. I think I'm too much of an engineer to promote a resistive attenuator with a flat frequency response. I need to talk to the marketing department.  :D

I know someone using your LDRXB and he raves about it but I would want to hear one in my system to evaluate how it performs in my specific scenario.

Sounds like it's time to just go ahead and buy one and get on with evaluating it. You have 30 days to try it at home and find out if you made a mistake at which point you ship it back and get a 100% refund less your cost to ship it back. Not much downside other than your time and a $35 UPS bill.