SACD ripping using a PS3

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #320 on: 2 Feb 2015, 07:30 pm »
Very nice. Me and a friend were talking about the possibilities of a similar project.

You'd need his keys and code, though.

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #321 on: 2 Feb 2015, 07:44 pm »
My PS3 has risen, woohooo !!!

After about 3 hours of head scratching, video watching, trial and error and a few expletives, I finally fixed my PS3. The first video I watched showed how to remove a disc from a YLOD PS3, so I mistakenly assumed the optical drive's mechanics would work after simple reassembly, but they didn't. It's only when I watched another video showing how to un-jam a jammed optical drive I discovered a big white cog has to be removed and reinserted that I got it going again and I've since ripped another disc, so it definitely works and fwiw, I was always confident the issue was mechanical because through all my attemps to get it going, the PS3 booted up and could launch the SACD ripper every time .

If nothing else, I now know how to access and un-jam my PS3s optical (which I can do and reassemble in under 10 minutes, believe I had a lot of practice!), so maybe that's the silver lining :)

nsxelent

« Reply #322 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:03 am »
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but have really appreciated reading through all of the background on how to backup SACDs!  I have 100 or so SACDs that I would love to backup and load into JRiver to stream DSFs to my DAC.

I have a PS3 model CECHA01 that I've had since new but it's now running firmware 4.50.  From what I've gathered there's not an easy way to return it to 3.55 - is that correct?  If not, any recommendations on where I can buy a good condition unit running 3.55 (I would prefer one that's loaded and ready to go)?  I live in Orange County CA and can pay local or through PayPal.

Best regards,

Tony

strat95

« Reply #323 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:34 am »
It is possible now to roll back the firmware.  You may be able to find someone in your area that provides this service.  I would say try that first as the cost should be about $50-100.  No need to find another unit if you go that route.

A quick google search led me to this.  I have no idea as to their reliability but just showing you some options.

http://www.orangecountysuperads.com/electronics_For_Sale/C513A825249P1/Xbox_360_PS3_Repairs_and_Mods___JTAG___CFW_PS3.aspx

nsxelent

« Reply #324 on: 21 Mar 2015, 02:43 am »
It is possible now to roll back the firmware.  You may be able to find someone in your area that provides this service.  I would say try that first as the cost should be about $50-100.  No need to find another unit if you go that route.

A quick google search led me to this.  I have no idea as to their reliability but just showing you some options.

http://www.orangecountysuperads.com/electronics_For_Sale/C513A825249P1/Xbox_360_PS3_Repairs_and_Mods___JTAG___CFW_PS3.aspx

Oh, that's a great idea. Okay, I'll look into this local service option.  Thanks for the lead!

strat95

« Reply #325 on: 21 Mar 2015, 05:10 am »
Oh, that's a great idea. Okay, I'll look into this local service option.  Thanks for the lead!

You're welcome and I hope it works out for you.  Please let us know how it works out.

nsxelent

« Reply #326 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:34 am »
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but have really appreciated reading through all of the background on how to backup SACDs!  I have 100 or so SACDs that I would love to backup and load into JRiver to stream DSFs to my DAC.

I have a PS3 model CECHA01 that I've had since new but it's now running firmware 4.50.  From what I've gathered there's not an easy way to return it to 3.55 - is that correct?  If not, any recommendations on where I can buy a good condition unit running 3.55 (I would prefer one that's loaded and ready to go)?  I live in Orange County CA and can pay local or through PayPal.

Best regards,

Tony

I was able to find a local person who rolled my PS3 firmware back to 3.55 (he charged $70) and I just backed up my first SACD. Thanks Ted_B and all on this forum for the direction!

Here's Mike's info if others in the SoCal area are in need of PS3 work. He is very helpful and was done in a few hours - highly recommended!

leftside

« Reply #327 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:43 pm »
That's great that they've now found a way to do a rollback.

jacobacci

« Reply #328 on: 6 May 2015, 09:38 am »
Hi all
I rip PS3 to PC over the network using sacd extract 0.37
First thing I do is start the PS3, launch the ripper app in server mode  and load the SACD. When I try to launch the extraction process from the PC, sacd_extract on the PC aborts.
After several rounds of exiting the ripper app and ejecting and reloading the SACD, the sacd_extract on the PC then usually finds the PS3 and from there on flawlessly transfers the rips from the PS3.
Is this a knows phenomenon and has someone found a sure fire way to make the extraction via network work at the first try?
Thanks a lot

west20

« Reply #329 on: 28 May 2015, 10:27 am »
Hello from a newbie,
My ps3 is not showing "install pkg file". I have installed OtherOs, and it appeared to install without problems. System shows 3.55.
Don't know if this is the proper place for my question.
Regards

west20

« Reply #330 on: 29 May 2015, 12:06 pm »
Solved! Found the 'what to do if you are already on stock version. Install OtherOs in safe mode.

streamerbill

« Reply #331 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:21 am »
Newbie here. Noticed lack of posts since May. Hope I'm not too late. Can't seem to find downloads. Link to Ted's public drop box doesn't work. Can someone PM me the info I need to get started?

htom

« Reply #332 on: 23 Jul 2015, 07:47 pm »
Another newbie here going through the guide, and I did have to ask, what happened to section 4a (ripping using server mode)?

yates7592

« Reply #333 on: 15 Oct 2015, 12:27 pm »
Yet another newbie question - if my machine is already on 3.55 do I need to do anything other than install the ps3 keys and sacd_ripper program? i.e. I go straight to Section 3 of Ted's guide, or do I need to do the safe mode install?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #334 on: 15 Oct 2015, 01:36 pm »
Yet another newbie question - if my machine is already on 3.55 do I need to do anything other than install the ps3 keys and sacd_ripper program? i.e. I go straight to Section 3 of Ted's guide, or do I need to do the safe mode install?
You still need to get to OtherOS 3.55.  Try the standard steps below, and if it doesn't work go to recovery menu mode as documented.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/master/readme

jacobacci

« Reply #335 on: 29 Oct 2015, 07:28 pm »
UPDATE:
It was a case of RTFM. In the recovery menu I tried to move the cursor with the left joystick and that does not seem to work. When I used the four arrows to the left of the joystick, I was able to select system update and install OTHEROS++.

****************************** Problem solved ***********************************************
hi guys,
My PS3 was killed in an attempt to replace the CPU thermal paste. Now I have a found a replacement CECHC04 OFW3.55. So far so good.
However when I try to install CFW355-OTHEROS++ the PS3 will not accept the new OS. It does two things:
- If I upgrade via system update on the main PS3 screen, the new OS is recognized and copied to the harddrive. The machine reboots and then tells me that no update is needed
- If I go into recovery mode, all options except system restart are grayed out and I cannot go to system update
I have done a factory reset and run through the inital setup.
Does anybody have a clue what the issue could be.
Thanks a lot
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2015, 08:40 am by jacobacci »

Hikmer

« Reply #336 on: 29 Dec 2015, 04:15 am »
I was able to find a local person who rolled my PS3 firmware back to 3.55 (he charged $70) and I just backed up my first SACD. Thanks Ted_B and all on this forum for the direction!

Here's Mike's info if others in the SoCal area are in need of PS3 work. He is very helpful and was done in a few hours - highly recommended!

Mike just setup a PS3 for backing up my SACD...way worth paying to have it done (he also got me the PS3 too, apparently there is a hardware way to roll back the firmware.)

strafer

« Reply #337 on: 13 Feb 2016, 11:03 pm »
Hello:
Noob here also--- I was able to install Other OS and the SACD Ripper pkg (v.37), but when I try to start the SACD Ripper program from the Games menu, it keeps asking for the PS3 keys, and to make sure they are in the root directory of the install USB stick (which they are).

Can anyone give me a clue what I might be doing wrong?

TIA,
gregor

strafer

« Reply #338 on: 13 Feb 2016, 11:27 pm »
OK, I found the problem. I had the PS3 keys in the folder they came in with the download [ps3free-ps3keys]. On a hunch, I dragged all those individual files out of that folder and into the root directory of the USB drive, it it worked.  I don't know if the primer was unclear, or I'm just dumb. 

Anyway, got it to work.

gregor

strafer

« Reply #339 on: 15 Feb 2016, 10:35 pm »
OK, I'm officially stumped.  My PS3 is not able to jump on the network (a bad bluetooth/wireless card, I think). 

So, I ran SACD Ripper V.37) in the non-host mode.  Once the SACD is done ripping, I removed the USB Flash drive, and the only contents on the drive is the SACD log.  No ISO file to be found.  Is it necessary to tell SACD Ripper where to direct the output for the resulting ISO file??

Any suggestions/insights are most welcome!

gregor