Wiring for the Cornet2 'Mono' switch?

andyr

Wiring for the Cornet2 'Mono' switch?
« on: 23 Jul 2014, 11:46 am »
I'd be grateful if someone could confirm whether my wiring scheme for the Mono switch on the Cornet2 is correct or not.  (I'm just about to start wiring up the I/O connections ... so it's not fired up, yet.)

There are 3 hole-connections on the PCB; I am not using a PCB-mounted switch so I will be running wires to a SPDT miniature toggle switch I am using for Stereo/Mono.

2 of the holes at the Cornet2 PCB 'Mono' switch location are connected (the R channel) ... and the L channel is separate.  So I'm thinking I can simply take a twisted pair from the 2 'outside' holes on the PCB and run them to the outside tags on my SPDT switch:

*  in one switch position, the L channel wire will still be separate (the 'stereo' position)

* in the other switch position, the L channel wire will be connected to the pair of R PCB holes - so 'mono'.

Am I correct, here?

Thanks,

Andy

poty

Re: Wiring for the Cornet2 'Mono' switch?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2014, 07:14 am »
According to the doc: http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/MtogglesAnglePC.pdf on page A68 in the table POLES & CIRCUITS in the line M2012 we can see that connections are: 2=common, 3=normally closed, 1=normally opened. At the bottom of the page A70 (TERMINALS) on the picture marked as "30" first from the left picture (Single Pole) we can see the pin assignments which are entirely in the 3-pin in a row. So you should wire not the 2 on holes on the bottom (they are just for mechanical mounting), but two of the three on the top. I think you can look at your PCB and find what of the three pins are connected by traces and use them to wire to your switch.
Another question: the signal at the point is very faint. Is it worth meddling with them at the level?

andyr

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2014, 10:12 am »

According to the doc: http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/MtogglesAnglePC.pdf on page A68 in the table POLES & CIRCUITS in the line M2012 we can see that connections are: 2=common, 3=normally closed, 1=normally opened. At the bottom of the page A70 (TERMINALS) on the picture marked as "30" first from the left picture (Single Pole) we can see the pin assignments which are entirely in the 3-pin in a row. So you should wire not the 2 on holes on the bottom (they are just for mechanical mounting), but two of the three on the top. I think you can look at your PCB and find what of the three pins are connected by traces and use them to wire to your switch.

Another question: the signal at the point is very faint. Is it worth meddling with them at the level?

Thanks, poty - perhaps you have been looking at a different switch?  I should been clearer in my post; I am not using the PCB-mount one specified in the Cornet2 BoM - mine will be mounted on the front panel, with wires going to the PCB.  Hence my Qu in my original post.

But good question re. whether a mono switch at the input is worthwhile (due to the low signal level)?  I assumed that as Jim had specified it ... it must be OK!  :)

Regards,

Andy

poty

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2014, 01:12 pm »
Sorry I referred to this sentences.
There are 3 hole-connections on the PCB; I am not using a PCB-mounted switch so I will be running wires to a SPDT miniature toggle switch I am using for Stereo/Mono.

2 of the holes at the Cornet2 PCB 'Mono' switch location are connected (the R channel) ... and the L channel is separate.  So I'm thinking I can simply take a twisted pair from the 2 'outside' holes on the PCB and run them to the outside tags on my SPDT switch:
I understood <"outside" holes> either as those that closer the edge of the PCB or outer holes from the three. Neither is right to me to connect a switch. It should be the center pin from the three pin in the row and one of the outer pin.
Regarding the mono switch at the input: in Jim's design all connections are minimized and the switch is with gold plated contacts and so on. Even so I don't catch the need to use both channels of Cornet to amplify the mono signal. The switch could be added at any point further without such complications in shielding, contact's specifications ...