what do you think?

rcag_ils

what do you think?
« on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:33 am »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2014, 09:31 am »
Real nice, that's what I think.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2014, 09:34 am »
Noice!!

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2014, 10:39 am »
Hi rcag_ils.
Think what you want,
but they sure don't make them like that anymore.
I love that unit.
Is that yours?
If it is, lucky you.
Look as if it was made yesterday.

Guy 13

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2014, 10:41 am »
Lot's of knobs!

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2014, 10:57 am »
Hi.
Yes, lots of knobs, but all nice and shiny knobs.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2014, 10:57 am »
Hi rcag_ils.
Think what you want,
but they sure don't make them like that anymore.
I love that unit.
Is that yours?
If it is, lucky you.
Look as if it was made yesterday.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2014, 11:00 am »
Hi (Again)
...and a nice illuminated glass window with two nice little green meters.
Did I say: They don't make them like that anymore?
Yes I did, well I will say it once more;
They sure don't make them like that anymore...

Guy 13

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2014, 01:41 pm »
Hi Guy, and all. Thanks for the nice kind comment, I am very excited to have this unit. Not only it sounds nice, the unit is very complete and working nicely. Also, it's something that I can tinker with at my spare time.

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:32 pm »
Hi Guy, and all. Thanks for the nice kind comment, I am very excited to have this unit. Not only it sounds nice, the unit is very complete and working nicely. Also, it's something that I can tinker with at my spare time.

Hi rcag_ils.

Did you get the tube tester free with the McIntosh tuner?
Two for the price of one.
May I ask where you got those two jewels ?
Of course, I won't ask you how much you paid, that would be impolite.
The Channel Separation box, is that what you call a Multiplex unit ?
The tuner is mono and with that box, it becomes stereo, is that right ?
Let me tell you that you are a lucky guy.
One more and last question:
What make - model of amplifier will you use with the super tuner ?
I know, with all those questions, I look like someone (Very) interested and I am.
My middle name is Curious !

Guy 13

rcag_ils

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:33 pm »
It's a MONO AM/FM tuner made or sold from 1960 to 1962.  I added a multiplex adapter to get the stereo sound, but I never knew mono FM would sound so good. Yes Guy, they don't make it like that anymore. The gentleman who had it before me said this tuner basically sat for the last 11 years not used. It was used when new on and off.

The Jackson 648 tube test was from 1956, which I use to maintain my tube gear. I bought it from the original owner and he's a ham operator. He included the document from the Jackson factory and various note from that time. Looking at these things is like going back in time.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:40 pm »
It's a MONO AM/FM tuner made or sold from 1960 to 1962.  I added a multiplex adapter to get the stereo sound, but I never knew mono FM would sound so good. Yes Guy, they don't make it like that anymore. The gentleman who had it before me said this tuner basically sat for the last 11 years not used. It was used when new on and off.

The Jackson 648 tube test was from 1956, which I use to maintain my tube gear. I bought it from the original owner and he's a ham operator. He included the document from the Jackson factory and various note from that time. Looking at these things is like going back in time.

Hi rcag_ils.
(This is a strange name to me...)

Thanks for the additional information, highly appreciated.

Guy 13

rcag_ils

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:44 pm »
No Guy, I didn't get these at the two for one price.  :lol:  I got these from two different persons. My hobby is old tube gear and I used to work in the communication field, so I always keep an eye open for good working units.

These units were made at the dawn of stereo broadcasting, so most tuner companies included a Multiplex output in case the customers wanted stereo when such broadcast was available. Multiplex adapter (the black box with the "channel separation" control on it) was an option, and it detects the 19k signal that the stereo broadcast comes with and extracts the L and R channels off it. But I just discover Mono sounds very nice in these old tuners too.

I currently use all AVA amp and preamp in my system.

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:40 pm »
No Guy, I didn't get these at the two for one price.  :lol:  I got these from two different persons. My hobby is old tube gear and I used to work in the communication field, so I always keep an eye open for good working units.

These units were made at the dawn of stereo broadcasting, so most tuner companies included a Multiplex output in case the customers wanted stereo when such broadcast was available. Multiplex adapter (the black box with the "channel separation" control on it) was an option, and it detects the 19k signal that the stereo broadcast comes with and extracts the L and R channels off it. But I just discover Mono sounds very nice in these old tuners too.

I currently use all AVA amp and preamp in my system.

Hi (Again) rcag_ils.
I am 66 years old, therefore I come from the mono and multiplex era,
so I know what you are talking about.
In other words: What you say, is not Chinese (Or Vietnamese) to me. :lol:
Thanks.

Guy 13

martyo

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:54 pm »
Awesome, especially the McIntosh but the Jackson too. :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2014, 10:48 pm »
I can't tell from the photos so who made the outboard MPX unit?

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2014, 11:07 pm »
I can't tell from the photos so who made the outboard MPX unit?

Hi Steve.
Don't want to answer for rcag_ils, but
by enlarging the picture I think I saw Heatkit ?
I could be wrong !
Wont be the first time and not the last time either... :lol:

Guy 13

rcag_ils

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2014, 04:22 am »
Yes, it is the Heathkit AC-11 MPX adaptor, some call it a decoder. They call the front control  "Stereo Separation" is somewhat misleading, since it adjusts the level of the detected L and R, the higher you turn it, the fuller the output audio, (it's not a output level control either, it has two separate adjustment for that in the back). It's more like a soundstage control.

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2014, 08:22 am »
Yes, it is the Heathkit AC-11 MPX adaptor, some call it a decoder. They call the front control  "Stereo Separation" is somewhat misleading, since it adjusts the level of the detected L and R, the higher you turn it, the fuller the output audio, (it's not a output level control either, it has two separate adjustment for that in the back). It's more like a soundstage control.

Hi Steve and racg_ils.
I'm so good. :thumb: :lol:

Guy 13

DrRick

« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2014, 07:10 pm »
How does the Heathkit mpx adaptor work, performance wise?
I ask because I thought I read somewhere that it was designed for the Crosby mpx system, not the Zenith mpx system that the FCC made the standard for FM Stereo broadcasting in the US in mid-1961.

I have several mpx adapters including the Scott, Fisher, Pilot, H-K, Pioneer and a few others. I also have the same Heathkit you have and a Crosby as well.

I've never tried the Heathkit or the Crosby because of the lack of compatibility with the Zenith mpx system.

The first generation of Fisher fm mpx tuners (FM-100, not the FM-100B, etc.) were also for the Crosby system.