Kwa 150SE

fred07

Kwa 150SE
« on: 21 Jun 2013, 05:41 am »
Hello,

I am the proud owner of a new Kwa150se, received last week  :green:
I ask a quick question about the temperature, for now, after 120 hours, de temperature is the same in high bias or low bias ?
(+- 109.4 F)
I know also see to consumption, it is also the same in high bias and low bias (+-148W after 1 hour)

I am a little surprised principally made in low bias.

Otherwise, the sound is very nice and should be even better in a few week  :D

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Kinds Regard

Fred

Phil A

Re: Kwa 150SE
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm »
Congrats on the purchase. Love mine. Never measured the temperature. Mine has always been on high bias. Does it get slightly hot, yes. I have Thiel 3.7s, which, although rated at 4 ohms, are between 2.4 and 3 over much of the audio band per the Stereophile review. The Modwright replaced a Bryston 14BSST, which although rated at 900W into 4 ohms got so hot that you would burn your hand touching the heat sinks. I had Thiel 7.2s before the 3.7s and the temperature light would go on and a channel would shut down on the Bryston (and I sent it to be checked a couple of times and nothing was found to be wrong, the 15 amp version of the 14BSST just can't handle low impedance loads well). The point is that the Modwright handles the load well in addition to sounding great.

roadkingraw

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2013, 04:33 pm »
Fred, I asked the same question to Dan.  I took my 150SE down to Modwright to have them look at it.  His staff made a couple of adjustments to the bias as well.  In the original configuration, when I switched to high bias the power consumption was very noticable and the amp got significantly warmer.  After the update, the current draw on the amp was not much different from Low to High bias and the amp only got slightly warmer.  I asked Dan about this and they discovered that they could lower the amount of bias in High Bias a little bit and the amp would run cooler without any degredation to the sound.  The older production runs of the 150SE will run hotter and draw more current.  Hope this helps.  You can also email or call Dan direct and he can explain the technical part of it to you better than I could.
Randy

fred07

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2013, 06:03 pm »
Hi,

Tanks for your answer, very kind  :)
I also thought that it came from the bias adjustment, I understand better the absence of difference between the two mode now.

For the rest, long listening today and happiness and emotion... :)

thank you again

Kinds regard

Fred