Has anyone modded the Spatial M3 crossover?

Magnaryder

Has anyone modded the Spatial M3 crossover?
« on: 23 Oct 2017, 06:50 pm »
I'd like to know what changes were made, why and did you keep them in place? I hope to increase the soundstage depth.

ray

Wind Chaser

Re: Has anyone modded the Spatial M3 crossover?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2017, 07:02 pm »
I hope to increase the soundstage depth.

Ray,

I don't think there's any modification to the speaker or crossover that will do this. I'm getting plenty depth. Perhaps you need to look at room placement and ancillaries?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2017, 09:30 pm »
Placement in the room, and room treatments will be the best thing to do to get more depth.  OB speakers already do depth better than box speakers (just due to the nature of the design).  If you're not getting good depth, I'd look to the room.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2017, 10:31 pm »
As Tyson and Wind chaser have already said, work with room placement. If you can get them 48" or more from the front wall, you should get plenty of depth to the soundstage.....provided your gear gave you decent depth in the past with other speakers. I wouldn't be touching the xover. You'll end up with more problems than just soundstage depth.

TimS

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2017, 12:18 am »
There's seems to be much written about room treatments but are open baffle designs unique in the type of treatments usually required? 
I've read that with open baffle  that (generally) diffusers on the front wall are better than having absorption placed there - is this true? 
Anyone know any links available discussing open baffle designs and room treatments?

Thanks

As Tyson and Wind chaser have already said, work with room placement. If you can get them 48" or more from the front wall, you should get plenty of depth to the soundstage.....provided your gear gave you decent depth in the past with other speakers. I wouldn't be touching the xover. You'll end up with more problems than just soundstage depth.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2017, 01:24 am »
Absorption on the side walls and then mainly just space from the front wall, is best IME.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2017, 01:58 am »
Room treatments will make a significant difference with speakers that have a wide dispersion pattern and or generate bass in box. However room treatments will not make nearly as much difference with speakers that have controlled directivity and boxless bass.