Bryston BDP-Pi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #140 on: 5 Mar 2017, 02:09 am »
James I messed up by deleting a radio station.  I added it to my playlist then I deleted it fron the playlist but now it's missing from the pop menu all together.  It was 181.1 under pop no sub menu how do I get it back?

If its not listed under POP then it is no longer available.  I will try here and see.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #141 on: 5 Mar 2017, 02:14 am »
Thanks James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #142 on: 5 Mar 2017, 02:29 am »
Was it under POP Oldies?

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #143 on: 5 Mar 2017, 02:38 am »
No just under pop then typically about 5-7-8 down from the top.  No sub headers just pop

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #144 on: 5 Mar 2017, 06:10 am »
OK this is the 4th one down on my setup:

181.FM - POWER 181 -=[: The Hitz Channel :]=- www.181.fm

schmidtmike76

« Reply #145 on: 5 Mar 2017, 01:53 pm »
Yes this is the one and my stations are back to 5000 last night it was 4490?  I really love my megadeath and Metallica but this station has a really good mix.

I forgot to mention my Pi was finally able to update yesterday afternoon it took a few attempts.

James your amazing with your service and products thank you

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #146 on: 11 May 2017, 09:06 pm »
I just ordered a BDP-Pi from Audio Advisor and will receive it in a few days. I've poured over the instruction manual on the Bryston website and I am confused about the type of storage drive that is acceptable to feed music files to the player. The manual seems to be a little contradictory:

*The BDP-Pi also requires that you store and organize your music library on a connected USB drive and/or via network attached storage. Thus, the minimum hookup requirements include attaching a music storage device like a *portable* hard drive (emphasis mine)

*Your BDP-Pi can accept most USB storage media including thumb drives, buss-powered hard drives, and self-powered hard drives. Available current to power buss-powered drives depends on load from the BDP-Pi processor. Therefore, Bryston recommends connecting only one USB buss powered drive. Please check the literature that came with your hard drive to determine its power requirements if you have trouble with your drive. Self-powered drives and thumb drives draw very little current so several can be connected at once.

*When using USB storage, note that the available total output power from the power supply is limited. Buss powered storage such as *portable* hard drives consume available current. Self powered hard drives and powered USB DACs will have little impact on total current.

So, it is not clear to me what all my options are.  Portable hard drives don't typically publish their power requirements. On the one hand, the manual seems to say using one bus-powered drive is ok (bus-powered meaning that the drive gets its power through its USB connection to the computer, the case with portable hard drives and flash drives). On the other, it warns that this consumes power from the BDP-Pi. It sounds like a powered drive is the better choice. I purchased a Western Digital My Book 3TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive for $77 at Best Buy. That's pretty cheap, and it runs under its own power via an AC adapter that plugs into an outlet. However I didn't know about these so-called "personal cloud"  hard drives like the WD My Cloud. This would seem to be a better choice as apparently I could easily upload new music files. With the My Book, I'll have to detach it from the BDP, unplug it from its power source, carry it over to my computer, attach it, upload the files, then reinstall it to the BDP. Not an enormous hassle, and considering I got the thing for 77 bucks, perhaps a bargain. But I think I should have gotten the My Cloud, but I didn't know anything about such devices. 

Does using a bus powered drive of any kind compromise performance? What do you know about these personal cloud things?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #147 on: 12 May 2017, 03:58 am »
A BDP-Pi should be able to power one bus powered drive, I'm not aware of any drives that do not work with the BDP-Pi.  If you try to draw to much current from the USB ports they will simply power down.  The benefit of using a USB drive is there is far less that can go wrong and you can still access it over the network as the BDP will create network shares for each drive attached to it.  The benefit of using NAS is the additional administration features that come with most nas's.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #148 on: 12 May 2017, 04:51 am »
If I understand you correctly, with the BDP attached to my router via Ethernet, I will be able to upload files to the storage drive attached to the usb input without it being a network storage device, just an ordinary external hard drive. That would make me happy. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #149 on: 12 May 2017, 11:00 am »
^ A 1-TB USB drive from G-Tech is rated at a max current demand of 900-mA. It works on BDP-1/2, and should work on a BDP-Pi (I haven't tried one). If that fails, try using lower-current USB thumb drives at 32-128 GB or so.

Seagate is also a good mfr, and their drives can be bought cheaper from Amazon resellers. Great for backing up files as well as playback.

http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/consumer/backup/backup-plus-mac/
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-usb

zoom25

« Reply #150 on: 12 May 2017, 12:43 pm »
^ A 1-TB USB drive from G-Tech is rated at a max current demand of 900-mA. It works on BDP-1/2, and should work on a BDP-Pi (I haven't tried one). If that fails, try using lower-current USB thumb drives at 32-128 GB or so.

Seagate is also a good mfr, and their drives can be bought cheaper from Amazon resellers. Great for backing up files as well as playback.

http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/consumer/backup/backup-plus-mac/
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-usb

I have ran my Western Digital portable 2TB's from the front USB ports previously which are designed for thumb drives. Those will definitely work.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #151 on: 12 May 2017, 12:52 pm »
I have ran my Western Digital portable 2TB's from the front USB ports previously which are designed for thumb drives. Those will definitely work.

This on the Pi?

zoom25

« Reply #152 on: 12 May 2017, 12:58 pm »
This on the Pi?

No. BDP-1. I figure if it can run on the front low-powered ports than it should be easy on the Pi. I do remember their power consumption was lower than 500mA. I looked into it specifically before I got dedicated drives for the BDP-1. It may have been even been as low as 350mA.

Grant Hill

« Reply #153 on: 12 May 2017, 01:07 pm »
Hi,

I have a simple question.

In case you connect an external HD (1 or 2TB) to a BDP like you just said, what happens when the HD is disconnected to add new files and connected again to BDP? Does the bdp have to screen again the whole drive before being able to play or will it just screen the new files?

I hope I was clear enough...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #154 on: 12 May 2017, 01:09 pm »
Hi,

In case you connect an external HD (1 or 2TB) to a BDP like you just said, what happens when the HD is disconnected to add new files and connected again to BDP? Does the bdp have to screen again the whole drive before being able to play or will it just screen the new files?

I grasp your Q completely.

With BDP-1, I power down before detaching and updating. Reattch drive and THEN power up. It's SLOW to update -- likely reads the entire drive again.

With BDP-2, no problem -- super-fast on power-up and updating is faster. Also, can detach drive without powering down.

Hope that helps.

p.s. I don't care about cover art and the frills. Just the musik.   :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #155 on: 12 May 2017, 01:13 pm »
Hi,

It has to rescan everything if you want to see the new files or folders. On Manic Moose, you have to hit the 'Update' button. Building it again is actually good IMO. I have had other systems and database fail when the computer has to figure out what has added or when a pre-existing file or folder has their name changed. Or that I added cover art. It's much better to build from start.

I'm currently at 1TB, so as the library gets bigger and bigger, the time increases. Still, not a big deal as it's a few minutes. I usually schedule folder transfers once a week or two where I'll put in a bunch of albums at the same time rather than doing one at a time. I'm in no rush to do every album ASAP considering that I have a TB to last me.  :green:

zoom25

« Reply #156 on: 12 May 2017, 01:17 pm »

With BDP-1, I power down before detaching and updating. Reattch drive and THEN power up.

I used to do the same when I didn't know of the "update" button on Manic Moose. Not anymore. You don't lose data by unplugging according to Bryston and no need to wait longer for the unit to boot. Am I missing something?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #157 on: 12 May 2017, 01:26 pm »
I used to do the same when I didn't know of the "update" button on Manic Moose. Not anymore. You don't lose data by unplugging according to Bryston and no need to wait longer for the unit to boot. Am I missing something?

No, you're missing nothing.

My BDP-1 was on Loony Loon, not Moose.

Grant Hill

« Reply #158 on: 12 May 2017, 01:29 pm »
I grasp your Q completely.

With BDP-1, I power down before detaching and updating. Reattch drive and THEN power up. It's SLOW to update -- likely reads the entire drive again.

With BDP-2, no problem -- super-fast on power-up and updating is faster. Also, can detach drive without powering down.

Hope that helps.

p.s. I don't care about cover art and the frills. Just the musik.   :thumb:

thank you very much for your quick answer
I do agree with you  :thumb: just music

Grant Hill

« Reply #159 on: 12 May 2017, 01:32 pm »
Thanks!

maybe with new BDP3 the process will be faster... but it might be an issue if someone adds files frequently without having a NAS and he also cares about album art and metadata

It has to rescan everything if you want to see the new files or folders. On Manic Moose, you have to hit the 'Update' button. Building it again is actually good IMO. I have had other systems and database fail when the computer has to figure out what has added or when a pre-existing file or folder has their name changed. Or that I added cover art. It's much better to build from start.

I'm currently at 1TB, so as the library gets bigger and bigger, the time increases. Still, not a big deal as it's a few minutes. I usually schedule folder transfers once a week or two where I'll put in a bunch of albums at the same time rather than doing one at a time. I'm in no rush to do every album ASAP considering that I have a TB to last me.  :green: