After 21 years--Powered Subs and Powered Bass Systems

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
We have finally found an amp for our woofers!

500W rms/8 Ohms
1000Wrms/4 Ohms
Elec. xover 30Hz-200Hz at 12dB
single band parametric EQ 20 to 80Hz, adj. Q from .1 to 1.0
Encapsulated and damped with Dynamat for in-cabinet installation
Class AB output stage with high efficiency downconverting power supply
excellent sound quality

Best part: price is $400! (add $17 shipping)

This amp is also available for the same price from Part Express, but we add a 13ft heavy-duty RCA interconnect and Dynamat on the capsule.

The amp can be bolted to the back baffle of any VMPS sub or installed inside (10" sq cutout required).  

If you're ordering any sub we'll cut the hole for the amp and install at no extra charge, and with free shipping.

Hope this pleases a lot of folks.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2006, 08:11 pm by John Casler »

John Casler

After 21 years--Powered Subs!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:35 am »
Looks like someone has been reading my mind. :mrgreen:

I was just talking to someone about this very subject last night.

Below is more information on the unit: Great stuff B :wink:

One of the most technologically advanced subwoofer amplifiers on the market!

This new subwoofer amplifier is based on state-of-the-art Class G circuit topology that combines the proven high power, high fidelity characteristics of a Class AB amplifier with a patented tracking down converter power supply to achieve an operating efficiency up to 86%.

You get the efficiency of a Class D amplifier without compromising audio quality and reliability. The class AB output stage provides the clean and low-distortion sound that audiophiles demand, without any instability problems of other high-efficiency amplifier designs.

This American designed and engineered amplifier uses patented circuitry that continuously tracks the input signal to modulate or control the voltage available to the output stage. This "tracking" capability delivers the exact amount of power based on demand instead of constantly keeping it in reserve, so the output stage only draws the amount of power that is required at any given time. This means less energy is wasted as heat, and more power is available for the subwoofer driver.  

High power Class AB output stage

Patented tracking downconverter power supply

Full parametric bass EQ

Phase reversal switch

Auto On/Off

Advanced soft clip circuitry

Toroidal power supply transformer

Power output: 512 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 1024 watts RMS @ 4 ohms

S/N ratio: 98 dB (A-weighted)

Low-pass crossover: 30 - 200 Hz, 24 dB/octave

Auto On/Off

Dimensions: 11-15/16" W x 11-15/16" H x 5-1/4" D  

And pics:

As you can see, it is basically fully enclosed to reduce vibration to key parts.

DID SOMEONE SAY 1024 WATTS @ 4 ohms???? :o  :o

tkp

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:46 am »
If this is the amp you are talking about which available from Parts Express

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=300-808

then I have a few comments on it.

Some one I trusted use the 500 Watts version of this amp with great success (driving dual 12" Peerless XL woofers) so I would say that the 1000 Watts version should be even better.  However, there are a few things people need to be aware of before getting this amp and they are:

a)  There is no speaker level input.
b)  The RCA input impedance is 12 Kohms.  This is a tough load for passive and/or plate couple output tube preamp.  Using a single RCA output from preamp to drive both this amp and the main amp could result in a load below 10 Kohms.

Other than the above, this is a real good unit for the money.

gongos

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:12 am »
I have one of these powering my VMPS 215 and can't imagine improving on its performance. The only problem it trying to figure out where to put it since I bought mine before this deal came about.

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:02 pm »
I purchased 2 of the 500watt models to save rack space from the Crown K1 and a DBX DriveRack PA.

The EQ takes some work to get right compared to the DBX but once you have the EQ right the amps sound great.

I sold the K1 and DBX and have not looked back.

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:03 pm »
Is the eq level boost and cut or only boost?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2005, 01:33 pm »
Is it 2nd (per BC) or 4th (per JC) order  lowpass? Can a larger sub play upto 300Hz?

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2005, 01:47 pm »
The data from Parts Express states the following:

The "EQ Level" permits the application of up to 6dB of boost or 14.5dB of cut at the selected frequency and
bandwidth.

It allows you to enter both frequency and bandwidth.  (Only one peak or trough can be corrected, though.)  It also says, "24 dB/octave".

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2005, 02:05 pm »
Thanks, Bob.

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2005, 02:23 pm »
No problem -- I was seriously considering this amp, so I downloaded the specs for it.  I would've bought it, except that I couldn't figure out where to put it.  Adding it right to the sub is a great idea.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:06 pm »
i'd still get a qsc stereo amp before i'd buy two of these...  at street prices, $800 will get ya mondo qsc plx amp...

doug s.

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:44 pm »
Do you have a link or suggested place to get the QSC?  I don't know much about that kind of gear (Pro) and I'm planning to get some subs soon.  Isn't QSC a Monster subsidiary?  :D

Thanks!

J

PS-are they available at audioadvisor.com?  Just kidding!

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:53 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Isn't QSC a Monster subsidiary?  :D

Not yet...they're working on it.  Give 'em some time will ya!? Actually I think "The QSC" was a Japanese movie monster wasn't it?  Better sue them just in case.  :P

The amp sounds like a good idea.  Now all it needs is a "putty knob".  Maybe with hash mark graphics of ever-increasing white peas. :wink:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
amp
« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:55 pm »
Parts Express sells the QSC amps at a good discount.

Apart from the power, the plate amp has the electronic crossover and equalizer.  You can get these things on the QSC but the minimum tab would be higher, and since their xover uses plug-in modules instead of continuously variable control, QSC is less flexible.

QSC and Monster are not related.

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:08 pm »
And the fan on the QSC I have is pretty loud, so loud that I took the QSC out of my rack and put it behind my system (where it's even louder, unfortunately).  I'm going to replace the fan, as the QSC seems to drive the Largers very well.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:28 pm »
i have had good dealings w/joel at fullcompass.com (x1116).  
http://fullcompass.com/
if ya did a websearch, ya may be able to beat fullcompass' prices on any given item; it waries...

qsc's home page:
http://www.qscaudio.com/

here's a link to some qsc plx amps on ebay:
http://search-desc.ebay.com/qsc-plx_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQsojsZ1QQfromZR10QQcatrefZC6QQftsZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfposZ20892QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

brian is right - ya can get x-over modules for the qsc amps, but i'd yust spring for an outboard x-over.  for <$200 (again - pro-audio pricing), you could get a behringer, dbx, art, etc., x-over.  tho likely not as transparent as something like a db-systems or marchand x-over, it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be at least as good, if not better than something built in to a plate amp...

re: qsc fan noise, there were several posts here in the past, that dealt w/folks finding a much quieter than stock fan for these amps - an easy swap, iirc...

ymmv,

doug s.

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:30 pm »
Parts Express sells the QSC amps at a good discount.

Apart from the power, the plate amp has the electronic crossover and equalizer. You can get these things on the QSC but the minimum tab would be higher, and since their xover uses plug-in modules instead of continuously variable control, QSC is less flexible.

QSC and Monster are not related.

Thanks for the information.  I almost pulled the trigger on a simliar but lower powered PE amp when it was on sale around $200 over Christmas.  The amp you have selected seems like a much better choice because it's more powerful and the VMPS upgrades make it a very good value.

Looking at the amp, I don't understand how you could bolt it to the sub.  Do they have screw tabs on the inside edge?  Not having to cut holes in the boxes would be a great feature for your customers.  I've heard VMPS subs and found them to be very powerful and articulate.  These amps look like a good combo.  

I was just jerking Doug's chain on the Monster reference.   :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

Jack

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:43 pm »
I'm definitely looking into the fan situation, as the amp seems great for the subs.  The amp doesn't even blink at high outputs.

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:44 pm »
QSC Audio has a DSP that can be added on the back of certain of their amplifiers. The DSP-4 (which I have and use in all shows I have attended) offers multiple parametric EQ and crossover frequencies and slopes. It does a whole lot more, as well.

It can be used with other amps. It will just need a small power supply to plug into it.

It will interface with almost any laptop and you can use a calibrated mike and RTA software to fully dial in your room's responce.

It retails for $685 but it gives you a whole lot of processing power

Here are some of it's features:

Multiple Parametric Filters, assignable anywhere in the signal chain:
Variable Frequency
Variable Gain
Variable Q
Bypass (one EQ Band)
Bypass all EQs
Add EQ
Delete EQ
Show Response

High and Low-Pass Crossover Filters, assignable anywhere in the signal chain:
Butterworth 6, 12, 18, 24 dB per octave slope
Bessel 6, 12, 18, 24 dB per octave slope
Linkwitz-Riley 12 and 24 dB per octave slope
Bypass (one EQ Band)
Bypass all EQs
Add EQ
Delete EQ
Show Response

# Built-in Noise Generator (Pink & White)
# Built-in Variable Frequency Tone Generator
# Signal Polarity Reversal
# RMS and Peak Metering with Clip Indication
# Add or delete up to 7 additional bands of "EQ" per filter block
# Visual editing of composite filter response, using cursor controls in graphical display
# Individual or group bypass of EQ bands per filter block

QSC Audio DSP-4

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:51 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
...It retails for $685 but it gives you a whole lot of processing power ...

it is worth pointing out that pro-audio dealers typically discount this "retail" pricing by at least 30%, & sometimes quite a bit more...

doug s.