Best Sounding Single Drivers

doorman

Re: Best Sounding Single Drivers
« Reply #40 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:43 pm »
I'm currently really enjoying a pair of Chr-Ken's, w.(eNA) Chr-70's.
They work very well in this cab. Plenty (for me) of clean bass, and the best soundstaging I've had to date.
They also go louder than I'd ever require.
A fun build too!
Best, Don

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #41 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:27 pm »

Of all of the full range drivers out there that I have been able to get my hands on and measure, I think that the FR-125 is the most accurate and among the best sounding.

I must also agree with Jim. As good as the FR-125 is, it still gets really outperformed by a well designed two way. My little A/V-1 for instance really eats up the FR-125 in every way.

I think statements like these in a "SD, wide bandwidth" circle is what causes the flack.

I suspect that many (myself included) appreciate the tips and suggestions from knowledgeable professionals like Duke and Danny.

Lin  :D

sts9fan

« Reply #42 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:28 pm »
Cool!  Did you build those cabs?  I see you have Enabled drivers.  Did you hear them stock at all?  My pair of Alpair6s are Enabled.  I am dying to finish these Woden double mouthed horns but I am taking it slow...as usual. 

chrisby

« Reply #43 on: 18 Nov 2010, 07:46 pm »
I think statements like these in a "SD, wide bandwidth" circle is what causes the flack.

I suspect that many (myself included) appreciate the tips and suggestions from knowledgeable professionals like Duke and Danny.

as a self described "wide-band enthusiast"  (kinda reminds me of sir mix a lot  :lol: ) but certainly not a purist (for me price alone excludes membership in that club), I certainly add my vote to that motion

there's no question that those of us involved to any degree in a commercial aspect of this hobby always risk the perception of conflict of interest in our posts - for me it would involve quite an intentional stretch to parse anything subversive in Danny's posts in this thread

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #44 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:08 pm »

Ah, point taken. I'll edit my original post. I shouldn't have compaired the FR-125's that I have to a two way that I sell.  :duh:

Funny thing is that I am still using the FR-125's as computer speakers on my desk.  :D

doorman

« Reply #45 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:40 pm »
Cool!  Did you build those cabs?  I see you have Enabled drivers.  Did you hear them stock at all?  My pair of Alpair6s are Enabled.  I am dying to finish these Woden double mouthed horns but I am taking it slow...as usual.

The cabs are (my) DIY, I've not heard the stock drivers, but having had several other pairs of eNA drivers to compare with their stock siblings, I'll take the "eNABled"!
YMMV, of course. I've heard these drivers in the "Maeshowe's" they were killer, just a tad large for my wife, er room!!
Best, Don

sts9fan

« Reply #46 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:41 pm »
I am building the smaller Dunideer. 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #47 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:03 pm »
The cabs are (my) DIY, I've not heard the stock drivers, but having had several other pairs of eNA drivers to compare with their stock siblings, I'll take the "eNABled"!
Best, Don

Somebody added that treatment to some of my drivers and sent them to me to measure, test, and listen to.

chrisby

« Reply #48 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:25 pm »
Somebody added that treatment to some of my drivers and sent them to me to measure, test, and listen to.

your measurement findings vs stock will be very interesting, but might I suggest you listen to them first?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #49 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:30 pm »
your measurement findings vs stock will be very interesting, but might I suggest you listen to them first?

I posted the measured data and listening comparisons here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59575.0

JohnR

« Reply #50 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:48 pm »
Ah, point taken. I'll edit my original post. I shouldn't have compaired the FR-125's that I have to a two way that I sell.  :duh:

You're STILL completely missing the point. This is a circle for people interested in full-range drivers, and you barrel in here and (still) tell everybody that they should be building two-ways. You oughtta know better. If you don't want to support the goals of a circle, then stay out of it.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:04 am »
You're STILL completely missing the point. This is a circle for people interested in full-range drivers, and you barrel in here and (still) tell everybody that they should be building two-ways. You oughtta know better. If you don't want to support the goals of a circle, then stay out of it.

No I didn't barrel in here telling people that they should be building two ways. I was only referring to the FR-125's that I have not full range drivers in general. I am sorry that I even mentioned it. It was only in agreeing with Jim about them. It wasn't the point of my posting. If you read the rest of my initial post you will see that I was contributing to the topic of the original poster and sharing another way of making the full range drivers work well together when using more than one of them.

Mariusz

« Reply #52 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:59 am »
I'm currently really enjoying a pair of Chr-Ken's, w.(eNA) Chr-70's.
They work very well in this cab. Plenty (for me) of clean bass, and the best soundstaging I've had to date.
They also go louder than I'd ever require.
A fun build too!
Best, Don

Back on topic.  :lol:

Nice work.  :wink:
Wonder how these cabs sound?
And would Jordans work in these enclosures?
Speaking of best sounding single drivers.  I am in the process of building a few examples so I can do a comparo jammy.  I have currently built a set using the CHR70 and FE103en.  Now I am working on a pair of double mouthed horns based on the Mark Audio Alpair6.  After that I will build a set of Frugal Horn 4s with the old Fe126.  Then I still have a set of 1st Gen Alpair10 to play with which I think I will but in the MarKen cab. 

Kris

Double mouth horns are one of my favorite designs. Most are also relatively easy to build.
The only downside might be size which beside being intimidating and sometimes impractical is also least favorite between girlfriends and wives. (appearance)     

Mariusz

« Reply #53 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:11 am »
Oh yeah :duh:

And Jordans are my favorite small full range drivers.  :thumb:

PS

Danny
Do not take this personally.
It is just my personal opinion.
There is time and place for everything ........ Inclueding your helpful tips, advice and in depth speaker design philosophies. This thread just might not be the best place for it.
 :thumb:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #54 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:34 am »
Danny
Do not take this personally.
It is just my personal opinion.
There is time and place for everything ........ Inclueding your helpful tips, advice and in depth speaker design philosophies. This thread just might not be the best place for it.
 :thumb:

Mariusz,

Ah, from the original post that started this thread:

I recently read Danny Ritchie's advice about adding a supertweeter to a full range speaker (mount it on the back), and I took that advice.

This guy seemed to appreciate the cap by-pass wiring tip too:

I finally got the parts.  I'm listening now to the speakers wired in series with the 68uF cap across the second drivers.  It makes a huge difference!!  These are a whole nuther animal now.

Then he tried the ribbon tweeter facing the rear trick:

I hooked up the ribbon tweets and you are right.  They add significant air and depth to the top end.  The caps did that for the lower registers balancing them nicely between higher mids and top which were too forward before the change. 

So at least some people appreciated the tips.

But hey, if you want to run me off, fine.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #55 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:52 am »
Wonder how these cabs sound?
And would Jordans work in these enclosures?

Very good, if those that have built them would attest (i'm one of those :))

Jordan won't work (needs a smaller box), but the Alpair 7 does with appropriate changes to the vent spacers (driver hole + holey brace too)

There are family members for FE127e, FE167e, Alpair 10, EL70, CHR70, Alpair 12. And FF85, Alpair 6 in the queue. Twin versions too.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #56 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:58 am »
This guy seemed to appreciate the cap by-pass wiring tip

Me three. Not that the idea was new, but that someone tried it and got good results. There are quite a few Twin Mark Audio projects and many could benefit from similar depending on the room.

dave

doorman

« Reply #57 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:02 am »

Jordan won't work (needs a smaller box), but the Alpair 7 does with appropriate changes to the vent spacers (driver hole + holey brace too)

dave
Those bamboo cabs are tres handsome!
well done, Dave & Chris--
Best, Don

Mariusz

« Reply #58 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:03 am »

dave

Thanks Dave. I guess that I'll stick to PE curved boxes then. :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #59 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:05 am »
Those bamboo cabs are tres handsome!

Not as slick now, after the post office lost the top of the box and skidding them along the floor. Now the possesion of Canada Post in Ottawa. We'll need to build Bud another pair once all is said & done.

And wait till you see mine :)

done