A bad tube??? Question

Rusty Jefferson

Re: A bad tube??? Question
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2018, 03:17 am »
Very likely
Agreed.  Sorry to hear that.  Hope you can turn that unit over easily.  Were you using a passive previously?  Solid state?

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2018, 05:29 am »
Were you using a passive previously?  Solid state?

I'm thinking of heading back to solid state. I like tubes, but you gotta treat them like...well...I better not say it. They're fragile, fussy, noisy, needy, will fire off on you without warning, and will damn near kill you if you're not careful. Plus, they make you spend all of your hard earned money.

JackD

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2018, 05:50 am »
Early B.

A preamp that I have had in my stable for a while that sounds as close to tubes as anything I have heard is the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE.  Will give you a multitude on Input and Output choices and eliminate your gain issue.  Even at new price a bargain and used even better. There was one in the Trading Post for a great price.

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2018, 05:37 pm »
If you want to stick with tubes, a lower gain unit such as the Transcendent Grounded Grid Preamp (12dB) (not 'high end' enough for some, but there are others) may help.
A 'giveaway' to having too much gain would be limited useful volume control range. If going past 9 o'clock causes your ears to bleed or the police to be summoned, that could be the smoking gun.

I like tubes but am unwilling to put up with all the drama they involve.