Icepower 1200AS2 (Purepower) amp listening impressions.

diver, benzp, genjamon, arthurli and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 30418 times.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Re: Icepower 1200AS2 (Purepower) amp listening impressions.
« Reply #400 on: 12 Feb 2018, 03:48 am »
Ric, I know that the new top of the line Merrill Audio Element 118 Mono Amps are based on a in house design by Merrill. If I recall correctly the new Veritas is a trickle down of the Element 118 but I do know that the new Veritas is also a in house design by Merrill and neither amp is using any outside modules.

I can say that people will be VERY IMPRESSED by how they sound, especially the Element 118. But we are talking about a much higher price range.

Mike’s new amp could be called the bargain of the year (or two) if it does sounds as great as reported. I for one hope it does. I am contemplating buying one and comparing it to my Veritas. Though it might not be a totally fair comparison as the PurePower is a stereo amplifier vs the Veritas being mono blocks. So if the PurePower in stereo configuration can exceed the sound of the Veritas how much of an improvement would one get using it in mono blocks configuration. Inquiring minds want to know!

My conundrum is do I put my limited funds into two PurePower Amps or in upgrading to the new Veritas Amps.
I have heard the new Veritas but not the new PurePower.

Is anyone who has a PurePower living in the NJ/NYC area that is willing to give me an opportunity to hear it?

Well so far a couple clients know how they sound used as monoblocks. Maybe they will chime in about it at some point.

I was ready to start work on an in house proprietary class D design as well. But then I heard the 1200AS......

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #401 on: 12 Feb 2018, 03:54 am »
Mike, do know if you have (or will be in the next few lots) shipped any PurePower to anyone living in the NJ/NYC area? If you can let me know I would appreciate it.
Actually anywhere within a  two to three hour drive from NYC would be fine.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #402 on: 12 Feb 2018, 03:57 am »
Mike, do know if you have (or will be in the next few lots) shipped any PurePower to anyone living in the NJ/NYC area? If you can let me know I would appreciate it.

I have a few going that way. They’re all reading this thread so they could PM you.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #403 on: 12 Feb 2018, 04:19 am »
Yes, the picture shows buffers, but there could be an external and internal buffer (it certainly looks that way from the pics of the boards....what else would those opamps in there be doing?). 

Those opamps are for Vclamping. Something to do with input protection. Not buffers. I think this explains the application.

http://www.electronicdesign.com/analog/op-amps-make-precision-clipper-protect-adc

Ric Schultz

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.tweakaudio.com
« Reply #404 on: 12 Feb 2018, 04:32 am »
Those opamps are for Vclamping. Something to do with input protection. Not buffers. I think this explains the application.

http://www.electronicdesign.com/analog/op-amps-make-precision-clipper-protect-adc

You know this how?  Did you talk to Ice power or see the numbers on the part or are you guessing?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #405 on: 12 Feb 2018, 04:34 am »
You know this how?  Did you talk to Ice power or see the numbers on the part or are you guessing?

Because it shows them right in that 12.1 drawing you were referring to.

Ric Schultz

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.tweakaudio.com
« Reply #406 on: 12 Feb 2018, 04:42 am »
Because it shows them right in that 12.1 drawing you were referring to.

What? The only op amps shown in the schematic are the buffers (U1 and U2).  There are some diodes (D1-D4) going to the rails as protection.   

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #407 on: 12 Feb 2018, 04:43 am »
What? The only op amps shown in the schematic are the buffers (U1 and U2).  There are some diodes (D1-D4) going to the rails as protection.   

Well try swapping them out with some discrete opamps and see what happens :)

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #408 on: 13 Feb 2018, 04:49 am »
So far very positive feedback on the Furutech DPS-4 internal power cable.

ohenry

« Reply #409 on: 13 Feb 2018, 06:01 am »
I love a forum.  People that have no personal interaction with a device spewing truth and knowledge.  I'll just listen and react to something I can actually touch and hear.  Refreshing concept, eh?

The geeks at diy idiocy have built many spaceships that never fly, except in their twisted heads (and mama's basement). :(

Oh, and keeping on topic... the iceamp is exceptional.  Rant over and out.  :D

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #410 on: 13 Feb 2018, 06:29 am »
Yeah was over at Jays listening to his system with that DPS-4 installed tonight. We didn’t do any comparisons to the S55N, but Don and Jay both said it was better. All I know is the sound I was hearing was exceptional. We will do the blind test after the cable has a few hundred hours of burn in.

JackD

« Reply #411 on: 13 Feb 2018, 06:35 am »
A completely accurate assessment of anything I have ever seen on the DIY forum.  I know when Mike referred some of us on AS to the Nord thread the ego's of some of those Audiofools was amazing to behold.  I'm sure the same group is still "holding court" over other people's ideas with no hands on knowledge and many cases no knowledge period.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #412 on: 13 Feb 2018, 06:39 am »
A completely accurate assessment of anything I have ever seen on the DIY forum.  I know when Mike referred some of us on AS to the Nord thread the ego's of some of those Audiofools was amazing to behold.  I'm sure the same group is still "holding court" over other people's ideas with no hands on knowledge and many cases no knowledge period.

Yes they told me I was an idiot over and over, and the rollable discrete opamp input buffer for the NC-500 was a stupid idea. They fear mongered that the opamps would oscillate, and the amps would blow up. But after Colin sold 100’s of amps with nothing but exceptional feedback, they were livid. So they ended up reporting almost every post I made until I was ultimately banned. Some of the objectivists at that forum are in tight with the mods.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #413 on: 13 Feb 2018, 07:01 am »
The great thing about the 1200AS is it both measures great and sounds great. So as long as it’s placed in an exceptional case, with exceptional wiring and connectors, what will these guys attack next? They’ll be grasping at straws. They will need to order amps under different names to hide their shame. Either that or buy from someone else.

JackD

« Reply #414 on: 13 Feb 2018, 07:05 am »
Mike

Through with all of the crap that went on in the end it worked out well for Colin which I think was a good thing.  So him starting that thread was ultimately a benefit as he for the most part stayed out of it and benefited from the free publicity.

That link you posted the other day about the DIY build wasn't that the forum started by you former "buddy" from WBF?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #415 on: 13 Feb 2018, 07:10 am »
Mike

Through with all of the crap that went on in the end it worked out well for Colin which I think was a good thing.  So him starting that thread was ultimately a benefit as he for the most part stayed out of it and benefited from the free publicity.

That link you posted the other day about the DIY build wasn't that the forum started by you former "buddy" from WBF?

He wasn’t my “former buddy”. I just thought at one point that he actually had an interest in finding the real truth behind how what we hear can be measured. But it didn’t take long before I discovered that the motives were far more sinister, and the truth is the furthest thing from what he wants folks to know. And when I started challenging this with data that he couldn’t dispute, things went sour fast. Anyways this is off topic for this thread.

JackD

« Reply #416 on: 13 Feb 2018, 07:30 am »
Agreed, I will make my judgements after I receive mine and it has run in for 10-14 days in the Office system. I still have the Nord's and the Nuprime ST-10 for comparison.

Phil A

« Reply #417 on: 13 Feb 2018, 01:17 pm »
The great thing about the 1200AS is it both measures great and sounds great. So as long as it’s placed in an exceptional case, with exceptional wiring and connectors, what will these guys attack next? They’ll be grasping at straws. They will need to order amps under different names to hide their shame. Either that or buy from someone else.

I think one of them just ordered an amp :green:

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #418 on: 13 Feb 2018, 03:54 pm »
Okay I’m going to offer the Furutech DPS-4 internal power cable as an $100 upgrade option for the SE.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #419 on: 13 Feb 2018, 03:59 pm »
Okay I’m going to offer the Furutech DPS-4 internal power cable as an $100 upgrade option for the SE.

Sweet! I'm in, just sent you an email.