Massive Intel Chip Flaw

richidoo

Re: Massive Intel Chip Flaw
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jan 2018, 02:08 pm »
There are two different but related problems. One is called Meltdown, that is the big Intel problem that will require software patch shutting off speculative execution which will slow down processor by up to 30%. The other is called Spectre and it is less of a threat, but it affects all processors and requires replacement of the CPU. It is much harder to exploit.

They knew about this for months, were scheduled to release it next week, but British "The Register" released it yesterday, before the tech companies had finished preparing the patch.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2018, 12:19 pm »
Tyler Durden?

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2018, 12:28 pm »
Oh. Spectre affects ARM processors as well. That seems to mean pretty much everything.

But your watch is safe.

bacobits1

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jan 2018, 03:16 pm »
I did install  Microsloth's patch yesterday. I don't see a slow down but I didn't measure it.
We'll be reading about it............ :o

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jan 2018, 05:34 pm »
This is a torture issue for businesses that have to run older windows. They cannot update...

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jan 2018, 05:22 am »
They'll need to get off of the Win98/Win2000/XP/Vista software that they're running.   I hope no one is still running DOS or Windows NT.

They're at a lot of risk being on those old platforms if they're connected to the internet.

In fact, the last automated car wash that I went to uses Windows CE.  What a piece of crap and it's handling credit and debit card transactions.  I won't be going back to that one.

HsvHeelFan

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jan 2018, 06:34 am »
Not an option for many businesses.