PMC (Active v Passive) or Wilsons?

Roadrunner

« on: 20 Oct 2004, 02:15 pm »
Hi all, I'm presently using a 4BSST running a small pair of Wilson Benesch Arc speakers, plus I have an active REL sub. I'm thinking of upgrading to a large pair of PMC's at some point and maybe ditching the sub. I think a pair of IB2 or MB2's would be ideal.

I'll have to arrange a demo to check out the difference in running them active v passive, (maybe using multiple 4B's or 7B's). How have you found the difference between active & passive? Is it worth the money, or are we talking very minor differences here?

I ask as another cheaper alternitive might be running a pair of highly efficient Wilson Watt/Puppies with a single 14BSST instead - saving on space and money. I know I'll need to listen first, but I'd love to know if anyone has any experience here?.....

Thanks, Paul (newie)

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2004, 11:13 pm »
For two channel you really don't need a sub with the IB1/2, MB2, in my opinion. My SVS ultra sub goes slightly lower than my IB1's  but it ruins the sound of the IB1s.  I just use the sub for movies.  

The 4B-ST and 3B-ST will drive the IB1 (and probably IB2) with no problems unless you like to listen at high levels. I use a channel on the 3B-ST (actually an 8B-ST) for my center IB1 and have never clipped it. I do think the 4B-ST sounds better with the IB1s than the 3B-ST.

The IB1 is a pretty sweet speaker and the IB2 and MB2 are even better.

When you say active, do you mean the MB2-A, or do you mean hanging a Powerpak off the back of the IB2 or MB2 ?

If you can arrange it, I would  demo a BP-25DA, a pair of 7B-SST (or ST)s, a cheap DVD player, and the MB2s.

ec

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2004, 04:20 am »
As Jethro is alluding too - how do you define "active".  The word active usually means that the setup is like this

pre out > x over (HF)> amp > tweeter;
(LF from xover)> amp > woofer

The only PMC speaker that I know of that really meets the above criteria is the AML-1.

The "active" PMC speakers (as per the PMC website) usually mean there is a Bryston PowerPac bolted on the back so the passive crossover is still used.  

Semantics aside, the PMC's are a must hear speaker.  When I first heard the clarity and lack of compression in the midrange of the IB-1's I was hooked.  If you are using this for Home Theatre or multichannel music, I would still keep the sub.  If this is strictly 2 ch then I would ditch the sub.

I have also listened to Watt Puppy 7's and they are also great speakers but IMHO have become over priced in its recent incarnations.  As Jethro mentioned audition / audition / audition.  If this can be done in your listening room - that is the best case scenario.

Roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2004, 07:01 am »
Thanks very much for the replies.

When I say active I meant using my present 4B(SST) running teweeters, another 4B on mids, another 4B running woofers - all on either IB2's or MB2's. Obviously this would entail using an off board x-over, rather than the speakers own passive components. I thought this was supposed to be the holy grail of PMC, and on these particular speakers too. Have I got this all wrong, lol? (I understand about the half way measure of active too, ie using multi amps with the speakers own passive x-over).

Anyway I do listen to music at loud volumes on certain material (not all though) and find my single 4B too quiet in my current set up at times. It clipped a little when running my Wilson Benesch Arcs. Mind you they are only 87w/m sensitivity. I guess the PMC's being around 91 (or the Wilsons at 93!) will be twice as loud as my current set up - using the same amp that I already have.

To summarise I wanted higher fidelity and extra power. So, do you think it's worth the extra money and space for getting multiple amps driving the front IB2's? Maybe they will be clear & loud enough with my single little 4B?

Responses appreciated!.....

(P.S When I mentioned the Wilson's I meant picking up a pair for half price - a used pair of watt/puppy 6's is the same price as a new pair of IB2's in the UK. You can find used Wilsons all the time, but never a used pair of bigger PMC's here! Hence I would save a lot of money and space if I didn't need multiple amps and x-overs driving them).