Outboard firewire disc drive or SSD

Vic

Outboard firewire disc drive or SSD
« on: 26 Aug 2013, 05:20 pm »
I'm starting over with my digital front end dumping the wifi to the DAC. I just purchased a 2009 Mac Mini and I'm questioning whether to use the disc drive or replace it with a large SSD or use an outboard disc drive via firewire to the Mini?

My current file collection says its 248 GB in size. Its growing very slowly since I still prefer vinyl whenever possible.

audioengr

Re: Outboard firewire disc drive or SSD
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2013, 05:52 pm »
I'm starting over with my digital front end dumping the wifi to the DAC. I just purchased a 2009 Mac Mini and I'm questioning whether to use the disc drive or replace it with a large SSD or use an outboard disc drive via firewire to the Mini?

My current file collection says its 248 GB in size. Its growing very slowly since I still prefer vinyl whenever possible.

Vic - It is important to put the OS on SSD.  The music can be on an external firewire drive.  If you can fit everything on the SSD, this is probably best.  The largest SSD's are maybe not the most reliable.  I would get a medium size SSD.

Steve N.

Vic

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:15 pm »
Wow, quick response, thanks.

I was considering the OWC 480GB. Would you consider that a medium size SSD. It would certainly be a convenient size for my collection.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm »
Wow, quick response, thanks.

I was considering the OWC 480GB. Would you consider that a medium size SSD. It would certainly be a convenient size for my collection.

That is a big one.  Don't have much experience with this size, but go for it.

Also, the 6gbyte/sec versions are not necessary for a 2009, in fact, they may actually be slower than the 3Gig versions.  The last one that I did used a 3 gig version.

Steve N.

Vic

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2013, 01:29 pm »
I forgot to ask about the cable quality between the storage (hard drive or SSD) and the Mac Mini. Is this a different form of data transmission from, say, the USB cable between the computer and the DAC?

I honestly don't care about any audible difference my old ears can hear but if there is a measured difference then I do care regardless.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2013, 08:15 pm »
I forgot to ask about the cable quality between the storage (hard drive or SSD) and the Mac Mini. Is this a different form of data transmission from, say, the USB cable between the computer and the DAC?

I honestly don't care about any audible difference my old ears can hear but if there is a measured difference then I do care regardless.

Anything decent will work, no need to spend a lot.  I don't believe it will have any effect.

Steve N.

dnd

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm »
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but my question is on topic.

From the recommendation above, I too will likely get an external firewire drive, but does it need to be a SSD or can it be traditional and still not compromise SQ?

FWIW, My 2009 Mac Mini (8g Ram and internal SSD) will not be in a room adjacent to my listening room.

Steve - Thank you very much for your continued explanations on setup and equipment.  I have spent a great deal of time reading up on this and am finally putting it together.  I would never have traveled this path if not for your consistent contributions in various forums.

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2014, 03:53 am »
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but my question is on topic.

From the recommendation above, I too will likely get an external firewire drive, but does it need to be a SSD or can it be traditional and still not compromise SQ?

For storing your music files, it can be traditional disk.  Only the disk in the Mini for the OS should preferably be SSD.

Steve N.

dnd

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2014, 02:51 pm »
Ahh, ok, the music storage disc spec hasn't been clear to me. 

So instead of an external FireWire drive, would an even better solution be:

1) your recommended 120 Gig SSD for the operating system

with

2) a second internal tradition HDD (say 1T)

And

3) all music backed up on a completely separate drive (or two)

?

Lastly, Steve, are you selling Mac mini power supplies?  I know you recommend the Hynes, but his site is not the clearest if you want a PS for a 2009 mini.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:55 pm »
Ahh, ok, the music storage disc spec hasn't been clear to me. 

So instead of an external FireWire drive, would an even better solution be:

1) your recommended 120 Gig SSD for the operating system

with

2) a second internal tradition HDD (say 1T)

And

3) all music backed up on a completely separate drive (or two)

?

I think the firewire drive would be better.  It gets the power for the disk outside of the computer.

Lastly, Steve, are you selling Mac mini power supplies?  I know you recommend the Hynes, but his site is not the clearest if you want a PS for a 2009 mini.

I took orders for a few because I could build the umbilical.  I cannot get the umbilical anymore.  The supplies also take 4-6 months to get.  I would rather not mess with it.  I may have one extra since a customer realized that he had a 2011 Mini and it would not work and therefore cancelled the order.  I redirected this supply to me, but I don't have it yet.

Steve N.

dnd

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2014, 07:58 pm »
Got it on the firewire drive

Should I leave the optical drive empty then, or doesn't it matter?

I emailed you too on the PS.

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2014, 08:59 pm »
Got it on the firewire drive

Should I leave the optical drive empty then, or doesn't it matter?

I emailed you too on the PS.

Leave the optical drive in there.  Hurts nothing and its convenient for loading S/W and drivers etc.

Steve N.

dnd

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2014, 12:37 am »
Excellent!

So to recap, here's my solution based upon reading your recommendations:

1) Late 2009 Mac Mini 2.26 GHz (ideally - better suited than the 2.53 GHz according to Steve N)
2) Minimum of 4 Gig Ram (I'm maxing it to 8 Gig)
3) 120G OSW SSD (3G since 6G isn't necessary for the 2009)
4) Keep the optical drive in stock location (makes it easy for SW, and no detriment to music playback)
5) Firewire external drive for music files (Std HDD drive not SSD, with any good Firewire cable)
6) Hynes SR5 Power Supply
7) Test different USBs for performance, likely the one next to the center port, and eliminate all other USB devices. (use a high quality USB cable)

Time to get busy...and then simply enjoy (I hope).

Thank you very much for the guidance Steve!
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2014, 05:59 pm by dnd »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2014, 01:52 am »
You will not regret this move.. I use this setup with the Hynes, and it is sublime.

The correct Mini is the MC238 (2.26 ghz) late 2009.

dnd

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2014, 02:33 am »
Thanks Paul.

Why the 2.26 over the 2.53? 

I have a 2.53...should I change it out?

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2014, 03:42 am »
Better defer to Steve on this one... The version you have has dual hard drive capability, correct? It may be just fine, but IDK. The most important thing is that it has external power supply, most likely.

Back when I was asking Steve about which Mini to buy, he said to get the late 2009 2.26.

eRaS

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2014, 09:51 am »
Better defer to Steve on this one... The version you have has dual hard drive capability, correct? It may be just fine, but IDK. The most important thing is that it has external power supply, most likely.

Back when I was asking Steve about which Mini to buy, he said to get the late 2009 2.26.

Sorry not to hijack the thread, but these come up periodically for sale in my country and I may have an opportunity to get the early 2009 2.0ghz model? Does anyone know if this still perform as well or is the CPU too slow? There is also a 2.53ghz model and I'm not sure if I should hold out for that one.

Thanks for any help.

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:27 pm »

Sorry not to hijack the thread, but these come up periodically for sale in my country and I may have an opportunity to get the early 2009 2.0ghz model? Does anyone know if this still perform as well or is the CPU too slow? There is also a 2.53ghz model and I'm not sure if I should hold out for that one.

Thanks for any help.

I would opt for the 2.26GHz version.  There is more than just the CPU upgrade in this one.  You should be sure its capable of 8 gigs DRAM.

Steve N.

eRaS

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:53 am »
Thanks Steve! I'll keep vigilant and on the watch for that specific model then.

dnd

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2014, 06:03 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.  I have edited my "recap" post. 

Now it should represent the referred Empirical Audio Mac Mini foundation...as far as I understand it at this moment.