12v trigger option?

sfox7076

12v trigger option?
« on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:31 am »
I have an uber bus, which is great. But my wife doesn't like having to go turn on the amps.  Is a 12v trigger an option?  Would only need 4 plugs for it, 3 mono blocks and a two channel rear amp.

Shawn

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: 12v trigger option?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2014, 12:59 pm »
A trigger would need to come from a pre amp or source.  The Uber is alway powered on and thus your amps always have power to them.  It's just a matter of sending the 12Vdc signal to trigger them on if they have that capability. 

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2014, 01:11 pm »
I understand that.  What I am saying is can a 12v trigger be added to an UberBuss so that I can have 1 UberBuss plugged in and always on anf then another Buss with a 12v trugger plugged into it. The amps (which don't have a trigger) would be powered when the 12v trigger from my preamp sends a signal to the relay in the second Buss to turn on.  That is what I generally meant.  Sorry if it was confsuing.  Another option is to build my own 12v triggered outlet (or use another brand) and then plug the Buss into that, but I was trying to avoid mxing a non-PI audio item into the mix. 

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2014, 01:51 pm »
I understand that.  What I am saying is can a 12v trigger be added to an UberBuss so that I can have 1 UberBuss plugged in and always on anf then another Buss with a 12v trugger plugged into it. The amps (which don't have a trigger) would be powered when the 12v trigger from my preamp sends a signal to the relay in the second Buss to turn on.  That is what I generally meant.  Sorry if it was confsuing.  Another option is to build my own 12v triggered outlet (or use another brand) and then plug the Buss into that, but I was trying to avoid mxing a non-PI audio item into the mix.
Hi sfox7076.
I'm sure it can be done by PI Audio,
but it will be a special order/custom made unit
and probably a few weeks waiting.
If my memory is not playing me tricks I think Dave (???)
can answer that question.
Why don't you write him a PM?

Guy 13

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:59 pm »
In a word:  No

The Uber is designed to do one thing and do it well. An option like that is not on my to do list.  Even if it were there is not room in an Uber to incorporate all of the parts and pieces to get the job done... silently.

IIRC there are remote switches available to do the job.

Edit:  I did a quick search and found options by Xantech, P anamax and others for power strips that do the job.  There is a smart phone conspiracy that prevents me from posting now.  I'll do some more research when I get home.

sfox7076

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2014, 05:52 pm »
Dave,

If I bought another Buss, could I plug it into the Niles or the Xandtech version without negative issues?  That way I could accomplish what I would like, and get the benefit of the Buss?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:27 am »
Dave,

If I bought another Buss, could I plug it into the Niles or the Xandtech version without negative issues?  That way I could accomplish what I would like, and get the benefit of the Buss?
Nope.  Like jtwrace said - it is designed to be energized at all times.  If not, there is an extensive period of time until the PFC caps come on song.  They are 440VAC rated type 'X' caps and as such you can imagine how robust they are... and slow to warm up and bias.  Plugging the other strip into the Uber will work, though.  I would recommending removing the MOV protection from them just to maintain lowest noise.  In my world surge protection is done globally at the panel with a whole house unit. 

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:37 am »
Not worried about surge suppression.  We have a unit in our panel.  I will work with that concept then.  I am just trying to get the best solution for my wife.  Just much easier to make her happy... 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:40 am »
Not worried about surge suppression.  We have a unit in our panel.  I will work with that concept then.  I am just trying to get the best solution for my wife.  Just much easier to make her happy...
Happy wife, happy life.  47 years with the same lady here.  I get it.  :thumb:

I'll PM you.

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:01 pm »
Sent you an Email.  I have only been with her for about 9 years.  Still need to keep her happy...  Heh.