DAC10 - excellent with one minor quibble..

Genez

DAC10 - excellent with one minor quibble..
« on: 6 Aug 2017, 06:34 pm »
This DAC 10 is interesting to listen with.

This is a minor quibble I am having.  The front lights only show the type of connection and sample rate.... such as... 44.1.

Is there a setting to keep the volume level illuminated at all times?

The volume level is not visible until you activate the volume control to change it.  That is causing me some jumping a round because I have no idea where the volume was set last time I listened. Streaming is one level and different from listening with my media player. Add to that, one video can be set at a different volume from the last one listened and I have no idea what my starting volume is. 

If the volume level could be made visible at all times I would be able to know what to anticipate when beginning a new audio session.
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2017, 02:07 am by Genez »

Genez

Re: DAC10 - excellent with one minor quibble..
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:35 pm »

Now that the DAC10 is burning in a few days.....   That minor quibble I had became even more so a minor quibble. 

For the excellent quality sound it is now motivating me to be willing to adapt to new ways to deal with the need for volume changes before switching to another source.  But, I still wish the volume level could be seen at all times.  After all,  its a preamp, not just a DAC.  Maybe the next version can have this feature?   ...

in1unison

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2017, 10:29 am »
Good idea! DAC only mode should display sampling rate, pre-amp mode volume level.

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:47 pm »
Those LEDs running at all time cause extra noise. Sure, it might be too small to matter.

Genez

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:05 pm »
Got it... Thanks Jason.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2017, 08:16 pm »
Not sure I understand your response Jason: those LEDs are already always on, but they show frequency instead of volume.  What extra noise would it cause to have it show the volume instead of the sampling rate?

Thanks for the clarification,
Rafa

srb

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2017, 08:22 pm »
What extra noise would it cause to have it show the volume instead of the sampling rate?

I would imagine less - 2 digits instead of 3 or 4.

Genez

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2017, 10:10 pm »
I would imagine less - 2 digits instead of 3 or 4.

Chances are... a different kind of circuit would be needed. 

For volume level it seems it would require a constant variable potential in the circuit.   For the sample rate?  Its simply locked in, and set.    But,  that's only a guess.