Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones - $199

chip

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones - $199
« on: 21 Jul 2017, 03:47 pm »
Update 7/20: MassDrop recently put a limited supply of these back on sale, if you missed out last month.

Sennheiser’s HD 650 open back headphones are widely considered some of the best-sounding cans you can buy for under $1000, and the best chance to get them is when MassDrop drops a new shipment of the legendary HD 6XX.
The 6XX is basically exactly the same as the 650, but with a 6' cable rather than the original’s 10', which is actually a better length, in my opinion. The 650s are currently listed for $316 on Amazon, and have never been cheaper than $287, but MassDrop has a limited number units of the 6XX available for $250 $200, while supplies last.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?irgwc

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones - $199
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2017, 11:28 pm »
I will waiting the HD8xx, the 600/650 are obsolete sound quality, unless one are vintage fan.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2017, 12:45 am »
I'd like answers... Yes or no:
  • Do you own a pair?
  • Have you ever owned a pair?
  • Have you ever even listened to a pair?

I'm not saying they are perfect, or the best headphones on the market at any price, but these headphones have been in production for over 13 years, quite an achievement for any tech product, especially in the "wonderful today, trash tomorrow" fickle world of audiophilia. They must be doing something right. They are still competitive at their price point in my opinion (which is based on extensive listening experience). It's still only an opinion, but I do have actual experience with this and competing products.

What is the basis for this blanket, categorical pronouncement?

There are some cosmetic differences along with the different cable, but I agree with the OP: These are competitive at their market price and a flat-out steal at $199. If the 'veil' bothers you (it seems to be 'voiced' for digitally mastered studio recordings, which sound 'sizzly' on many cans- to me), a little EQ makes that disappear, and you gotta spend quite a bit more to definitively beat the smooth high end the 650's deliver.

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2017, 02:46 am »
I own the 650s and other cans, and the 650s are my favorites. I had them reterminated to run balanced, nice upgrade. YMMV...it's about the music...happy listening

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2017, 03:12 am »
I'd like answers... Yes or no:
  • Do you own a pair?
  • Have you ever owned a pair?
  • Have you ever even listened to a pair?

I'm not saying they are perfect, or the best headphones on the market at any price, but these headphones have been in production for over 13 years, quite an achievement for any tech product, especially in the "wonderful today, trash tomorrow" fickle world of audiophilia. They must be doing something right. They are still competitive at their price point in my opinion (which is based on extensive listening experience). It's still only an opinion, but I do have actual experience with this and competing products.

What is the basis for this blanket, categorical pronouncement?

There are some cosmetic differences along with the different cable, but I agree with the OP: These are competitive at their market price and a flat-out steal at $199. If the 'veil' bothers you (it seems to be 'voiced' for digitally mastered studio recordings, which sound 'sizzly' on many cans- to me), a little EQ makes that disappear, and you gotta spend quite a bit more to definitively beat the smooth high end the 650's deliver.

+1. Well said. The HD650's helped me survive professional school.

Best,
Anand.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2017, 01:51 pm »
I probably run my Shure SE535 IEMs more, especially in the summer when I have a window A/C running and need isolation; but the 650's still give a good account of themselves to this day, especially in an era of $2-6K 'flagships'. I add a little EQ where it's needed, as I sometimes do with other cans and/or recordings. They were quite a bit ahead of their time and that is why they're not (IMO) an "obsolete" or "vintage" sound. Their success and longevity make them the cans everybody loves to hate. I really don't see how you can knock them for $199.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2017, 06:34 pm »
The 600/650 are know for its small soundstage happen I dont like small soudstsge HPs, soundstage is all is a HP imo.
If it had a great SQ by today standards Sennheiser would allow Massdrop to clone?
Of course nothing personal to 650 fans.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2017, 07:25 pm »
I would say the Sennheiser HD600/650/6xx are still one of the better deals in the headphone world right now. Years ago they were part of the "top three" along with the Beyerdynamic DT880-600 and the AKG K600 (supplanted now by the K7##). All three however did require some good amping behind them, without which they would sound wimpy and veiled.

Unfortunately, while headphones have made huge strides into mainstream acceptance, their technical developments have not flourished quite as much. The performance of the Sennheisers from a distortion and frequency response standpoint are still very very good by today's standards at that price point. I have gone through perhaps more headphones here than anyone else with the exception of Dale Thorne, and I keep coming back to the HD650 as a reference.

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2017, 08:51 pm »
I am picking up one of these.  Will be for casual listening in my main Decware system, CSP3+ preamp.  Can't beat the price and these will be my first non IEM headphones in a long time. 

NB

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2017, 08:53 pm »
I would say the Sennheiser HD600/650/6xx are still one of the better deals in the headphone world right now. Years ago they were part of the "top three" along with the Beyerdynamic DT880-600 and the AKG K600 (supplanted now by the K7##). All three however did require some good amping behind them, without which they would sound wimpy and veiled.

Unfortunately, while headphones have made huge strides into mainstream acceptance, their technical developments have not flourished quite as much. The performance of the Sennheisers from a distortion and frequency response standpoint are still very very good by today's standards at that price point. I have gone through perhaps more headphones here than anyone else with the exception of Dale Thorne, and I keep coming back to the HD650 as a reference.

I'll take your comments to heart. Besides you are the only I know of here on AC who has heard Christiansen's HP-1 so obviously you have discriminating taste  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2017, 05:56 am »
I'll take your comments to heart. Besides you are the only I know of here on AC who has heard Christiansen's HP-1 so obviously you have discriminating taste  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

It's a great amp. I would build one for myself except I hate smd soldering.  8)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2017, 10:49 am »
The HD600 was 1997 released, maybe Massdrop not need any license, seems patent is 15 years.