A few jaw dropping features of Omnia

bmichels

Re: A few jaw dropping features of Omnia
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jan 2017, 09:15 pm »
availability soon ?   ;-)

witchdoctor

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2017, 09:47 pm »
My compliments on your teams innovation. I would love to have the "one device" that binds them all together. It is a PIA having to build a system piece meal (and expensive). Looking forward to the release. I hope you make the Omnia MQA friendly.

rustydoglim

« Reply #42 on: 8 Feb 2017, 07:20 pm »
Still a lot of software bugs. I think by the time we can get through fixing the bugs, and go into production, the shipping date should be around mid May.

bmichels

« Reply #43 on: 17 Feb 2017, 09:17 pm »
Take advantage of this extra-time to make a "Plus" version with 256 or 512 Gb internal for those ready to pay for the extra storage  :wink:

GBouillon

« Reply #44 on: 28 Feb 2017, 10:05 pm »
I am currently testing the DAC-10H, ST-10, DAC-9, HPA-9 and STA-9 monoblocks at home. I am doing all sorts of combinations and for now, I am torn between DAC-9/HPA-9/STA-9 monoblocks and DAC-10H/monoblocks.

The streaming part of this system is an Auralic Aries Mini which I don't like and I will return. I am still looking for a good streamer to act as a source for Tidal, Deezer and my NAS via iPad and iPhone.

Would the Omnia (S2 or SHDP1) be a good solution in this case?

Omnia -> DAC-9 -> HPA-9 -> STA-9's

Thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #45 on: 2 Mar 2017, 06:52 pm »
Yes. We have made more progress with Omnia testing (I am not ready to announce the "all clear" status yet).

Here's the performance stacks with Omnia and I think on the market this is as good as you can get:

1. Tidal (or other stream app running on Omnia) - digital music goes through Android audio layer and then decoded by Omnia's DAC and headphone amp (or line out through the dock) to external preamp and amp. This will sound very good.

2. The BEST performance is this: Bubble uPnP app (Omnia Player app will also be released but you can choose to use either one,  we decided to bundle Bubble because it is very popular) reads high resolution music from Omnia Server (running on the same device), then "stream" to Omnia Renderer (running on the same device or remotely on another Omnia).  When music is streamed to Omnia renderer, the renderer uses additional custom API and hardware (re-clocking, extended buffering, sampling rate converter etc) on the Omnia DAC board for maximum performance. 
This is where we are able to "re-architect" the standard digital music decoding from computer USB audio to DAC to preamp/amp.
By taking control of the software layer, we are able to create custom hardware architecture but yet still offer an open platform for streaming app.

I am pretty sure all the Player or Server out there don't go this far.  Most of the Players run on Linux (a few with Android) with a good DAC and headphone amp, but not going as far as redesigning the audio API and audio path.  Omnia takes too much work, but we think it is a good approach to build a platform for the next generation of devices.

bmichels

« Reply #46 on: 5 Apr 2017, 10:31 am »
Any update ?  still shooting for May ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #47 on: 7 Apr 2017, 09:31 pm »
Probably shipping in late June, or even July. 
Because we put server, renderer and player on the same device, the software gets a bit more complicated.
For example, if you don't use NuPrime Player app, but prefer to use Bubble uPnP, what happen when there is no WiFi? How is the player find the DLNA server and renderer? In this case, turn on HotSpot on Omnia SP1.  Ok, just got this to work this week.
If you are using NuPrime Player, then it will know where to look for its own DLNA server and renderer when WiFi is off, so no need to turn on Hot Spot.
Anyway, we are making progress but it is not done yet.  We should be able to ship samples to distributor in May 2017. That will be our final field trial and QC before production release.  The good thing with getting all these software layer to work is that they can work on future generation of server and player hardware.

bmichels

« Reply #48 on: 28 Apr 2017, 11:02 am »
Still on line for MUNICH's working demos ?  I am looking forward looking/listening to this new DAP  :P

Mr.tangco

« Reply #49 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:38 pm »
Just realised that Omnia may be the solution to my problem of finding a standalone headless player for playing ripped SACD ISOs - especially if in the sta-9 chassis. If running android, it might be possible to open the HibyMusic app, output native DSD to the uDSD inside - and voila! Or perhaps even hdmi i2s output is possible to standalone DACs?  Please tell me if that's the case? Can't wait to see what's in store!

rustydoglim

« Reply #50 on: 5 May 2017, 06:38 pm »
These two working products will be showing at HIGH END Show, Hall 1 C05 in Munich, Germany from May 18 to 22.
Note that Omnia is sold together with the dock. MSRP has not been decided.
The Omnia media server and renderer are automatically started when the device is powered up. They are part of the system integrated with low level device API and firmware.  In order to prevent users from "breaking" the device, we won't open up the Play store. If you want to use any Apps, we have to certify the app and then make it available for Omnia to download. Popular music services like Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, etc will be available on the device by default.

bmichels

« Reply #51 on: 17 May 2017, 08:34 pm »
One question regarding TIDAL streaming:  will OMNIA also offer TIDAL off-line mode ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #52 on: 22 May 2017, 07:04 am »
Tidal and other streaming apps will be running directly on Omnia so the off line mode will work.
It doesn't work for other devices because they are running the native app.

DanM66

« Reply #53 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:07 am »
Rustydoglim,
I just purchased a IDA-8.  I have a portable hard drive with about 400 high res albums on it.  Is the Omnia able to simply take the hard drive and plug into the amp?
Sounds easy.....  haha
Appreciate any info!
Dan

rustydoglim

« Reply #54 on: 23 Jun 2017, 05:28 pm »
Yes, exactly.  Plus more:
- It functions as your NAS
- You can just run your streaming apps (Tidal, Spotify, whatever) on it and play the offline downloaded music
- And when you leave home just take it with you.

It is going through weekly bug fixes and getting very close.

Oh there is already an Omnia S1 (server version, no screen, no headphone amp, no built-in DAC, in the 9-series case) being ready for release 2 months after Omnia SP1.

Tom Davis

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jun 2017, 06:12 pm »
Two questions:

Do you have a release date and MSRP for the CDP-9?

And will the S1 version of the Omni interface with my IDA-16?

Thanks much in advance.

Tom

These two working products will be showing at HIGH END Show, Hall 1 C05 in Munich, Germany from May 18 to 22.
Note that Omnia is sold together with the dock. MSRP has not been decided.
The Omnia media server and renderer are automatically started when the device is powered up. They are part of the system integrated with low level device API and firmware.  In order to prevent users from "breaking" the device, we won't open up the Play store. If you want to use any Apps, we have to certify the app and then make it available for Omnia to download. Popular music services like Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, etc will be available on the device by default.

rustydoglim

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jul 2017, 07:43 pm »
CDP-9 MSRP is $1595.
Omnia S1 is expected to retail for $649 (unlike Omnia SP1, it has no DAC inside) and output to coaxial, HDMI (for i2S).
RJ45, USB ports (for hard disk) are expected. It might have a decent DAC for analog output. We have not finalise the features yet.

slash71

« Reply #57 on: 7 Jul 2017, 08:07 am »
Hi, CDP-x without DAC stage is also on your production forecast?

enrico
(Italy)

Tom Davis

« Reply #58 on: 7 Jul 2017, 03:22 pm »
Thanks so much for the information.

Are you planning on a fall release date?

Tom

CDP-9 MSRP is $1595.
Omnia S1 is expected to retail for $649 (unlike Omnia SP1, it has no DAC inside) and output to coaxial, HDMI (for i2S).
RJ45, USB ports (for hard disk) are expected. It might have a decent DAC for analog output. We have not finalise the features yet.

rustydoglim

« Reply #59 on: 12 Jul 2017, 10:42 pm »
CDP-9 is in production and expected to ship early September.
Same for Omnia SP1.