A few jaw dropping features of Omnia

vkohl

• Restricted
Re: A few jaw dropping features of Omnia
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2016, 08:21 am »
All this "digital mumbo-jumbo" has my head spinning ! :scratch: ...i just bought a Nuprime IDA-8 [with bluetooth dongle]...what more do i need to do to stream music from my phone/computer/sirius radio ??? HELP !!!

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 26 Nov 2016, 06:17 pm »
All this "digital mumbo-jumbo" has my head spinning ! :scratch: ...i just bought a Nuprime IDA-8 [with bluetooth dongle]...what more do i need to do to stream music from my phone/computer/sirius radio ??? HELP !!!

With the "bluetooth", dongle you can listen to ANYTHING you can stream from your bluetooth enabled smart phone, tablet, or computer.

If you want better quality/resolution, you should look at the WR-100.

But for just bluetooth streaming, the dongle works fine.

vkohl

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 26 Nov 2016, 11:27 pm »
With the "bluetooth", dongle you can listen to ANYTHING you can stream from your bluetooth enabled smart phone, tablet, or computer.

If you want better quality/resolution, you should look at the WR-100.

But for just bluetooth streaming, the dongle works fine.
The WR-100 would be a necessary add-on to the IDA-8 ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:48 am »
WR-100 provides WiFi receiver feature to IDA-8 or other components.
Starting from IDA-8, we started to provide a special SPDIF port, that looks like USB. It has SPDIF signals, power and gnd pins.
For a single port is used to power WR-100 as well as receiving its SPDIF output. Standard microUSB cable that comes with WR-100 is used to connect to IDA-8 directly, just one cable for power and data.

bmichels

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2016, 05:35 pm »
Congratulation for bringing such innovative technologies to the DAP market.  I have 2 questions :

- Internal storage:  full size SD   :)   or...  MicroSD   :nono:   ?    And what is the on-board installed storage capacity ?

- What is HDMI out for ???   wouldn't USB-Digital out have been more useful ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2016, 07:51 pm »
MicroSD. If you are concerned about performance, as explained in the architecture design, it doesn't matter because the audio processing unit has a buffer before the DAC.  Onboard installed capacity is a lowly 16G.  We expect user to install microSD card, and the capacity has been growing every year.

The HDMI is for display, just in case you want to watch video (720p) or control it from another tablet or phone while it is docked.
Remember that there are Omnia Renderer, Omnia Media Server, and Omnia Player running on this device.

bmichels

« Reply #26 on: 6 Dec 2016, 09:14 pm »
MicroSD. If you are concerned about performance, as explained in the architecture design, it doesn't matter because the audio processing unit has a buffer before the DAC.  Onboard installed capacity is a lowly 16G.  We expect user to install microSD card, and the capacity has been growing every year.

The HDMI is for display, just in case you want to watch video (720p) or control it from another tablet or phone while it is docked.
Remember that there are Omnia Renderer, Omnia Media Server, and Omnia Player running on this device.

No, I was wondering about storage.  With only 16 Gb + max 256 Gb with the microSD, this is really NOT ENOUGH for any serious music library !

It is very inconvenient to have to select which part of our library to take with us each time we go mobile. And I suppose that an external USB-C HD will draw a lot of the Omnia's battery and in addition this will add bulk and a fragile USB-C Cable hangling loos from the device.

So may I suggest that a "high end" version of Omnia is proposed with an internal 512 Gb storage for those ready to pay for this extra ? Or that an optional "storage" module that "click" under the DAP (without any loose cable and with an internal battery) is offered in various capacities (up to 1 To)

This DAP incorporate many very exciting features and technologies, but this limited capacity is in my eyes a very important flaw (may be the only one).  Expecially for a DAP that want to also be also positionned as a server !

but anyway, congratulation for this new entry in the DAP market.

rustydoglim

« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2016, 03:32 pm »
I think microSD card storage capacity will increase over time so for most people, a single card is enough. Ha ha, by the time we ship in volume, 512GB microSD card might be common.
I think a nice feature (for future software release) is to have all the music in the Playlist "cache" in the player.

bmichels

« Reply #28 on: 13 Dec 2016, 10:47 am »
Today I have in my "old" AK100  two uSD with 200 Gb in each : total 432 Gb full of music !  Can't go back to - 300 Gb total !

Why don't you release a "pro" or " HD " version with 512 Gb internal memory. This will be a "First" in the DAP market !  and will differentiate you from the crowd of the other DAPS.

I know it will cost a lot, but some people will be prepared to pay for it, and the others.... will buy the 64 Gb version.  This will be just an added opportunity for NuPrime to make extra money, just like Apple who has several capacity for it's iPad & iPhone.  People choose... everybody win  :icon_lol:

rustydoglim

« Reply #29 on: 13 Dec 2016, 11:11 am »
Hardware development takes time. Worst is when we are doing new hardware and software at the same time.
We have to mitigate the risk. Even the hardware and software have been updated several times.

rustydoglim

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm »

For those of you who are not technical:
Omnia SP1 - a single platform that does everything, supporting up to 32-bit/384kHz and DSD256 decoding including streaming (depending on receiving devices). Incredible desktop level power for 400mW x 2 headphone amp. High-end upgradable DAC daughter board!
  • play or re-stream music from any online streaming services
  • play or stream music from local media files
  • play or stream music from network media files
  • connect by WiFi or ethernet cable
  • connect to two USB 3.0 hard disks for terabytes of storage
  • display port for connecting to monitor screen
  • optical and USB output for connecting to external DAC (but what for when it has a high end upgradable DAC inside)

rustydoglim

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm »
For the technical people, these applications that are running on Omnia SP1:

Omnia Media Server - DLNA server streaming music from local (Micro SD or USB 3.0 connected hard drives). It can also stream to Apple devices through AirPlay.

Omnia Renderer - receives streaming music from another Omnia or other devices

Omnia Player - plays music from Omnia Media Server or other DLNA servers, including Apple devices (through AirPlay)

Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, and other streaming Apps running on Omnia SP1 with high-end hardware for better performance

NuPrime streaming App running on Omnia SP1 supporting Spotify, Qobuz (March 2017) and Tidal (t.b.d.), Omnia Media Server and other DLNA servers.

rustydoglim

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jan 2017, 10:22 pm »
Omnia SP1 replaces the following devices in your system:
* Computer
* High-end DAC
* High-end headphone amp
* Media Server
* Streaming Server
* Re-Streaming device
* Portable Music Player

No kidding! This is crazy.  I just spent the past 3 days working with engineering team to test and debug with multiple media servers (Synology, PC, Mac, two Omnia SP1), smart phones, WR-100 running on a network.

triumph

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jan 2017, 08:00 am »
I have no doubt that Omnia will be great, and for most of the customers who want plug and play, this will be the perfect addition to those sound bars and wireless systems that are becoming popular.

In my case, it can't replace my computer. I need to drive multiple channels and I am using convolution to adjust my speakers to my room. I wouldn't be able to go back to simple EQ sliders.

But like I said, I am an odd case and I'm sure most will be pleased with this new toy on the block!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #34 on: 3 Jan 2017, 06:00 pm »
I believe there is market for it, yes.

But people that go for the more refined sound do tend to want the DAC, the AMP, the SERVER, etc., separated so that it gets easier to upgrade components.  For instance, I could upgrade to 'tomorrows' whatever new format changing my DAC but the analog output will be the same and I don't need to change the Amp.

Also, I could ensure a great CPU resampler and send it to the DAC of my choice.  Or headphone amp.  The fact that the Omnia does everything except the Amp is an interesting gamble.  Lets see how people react to it.

For my tastes and setup, it has no use.  I now have a RaspberryPi doing the bit perfect audio and resampling.  And a DAC+Amp (all in one) that receives the inputs from the TV, a multi-room Airport Express and the RPi3.  So I would move to separate DAC and Amp in the future, not into 'combining' more stuff into a single item and loosing versatility.

Also, I prefer the command on my phone, tablet, computer, or whatever I choose, rather than a touch screen on the item itself.  So, in contrast with most other products in the NuPrime lineup, this is the least appealing to me.

I could be wrong, of course! :)

Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:26 am »
Gee, I wonder why nobody pay attention (even with repeated emphasis) that the DAC on Omnia is upgradable  :thumb:
Omnia is designed to be modular and will appear in multiple forms: server only, server+player.
Someone might be willing to pay for the super expensive ESS9038Pro, while others will be happy with ESS018 or AK4490.
I can run a streaming app on Omnia and stream to multiple WR-100 receivers.
Technically it is incorrect to say that Omnia replaces a computer, because it is a computer with high-end audio hardware.

Oh, the Omnia app will run on iOS, Android, Linux, Windows and Mac. Obviously it doesn't make sense to touch the screen when it is docked.
A server only version of Omnia will be in the 9-series chassis.

And for those people who prefer Windows PC, we are working on streaming DAC that is a fraction of the price of Auralic.
If you like NAS or other cheap PC, we are going to release hardware system for you to plug in Raspberry Pi or embedded Synology NAS.

RoadTripper

« Reply #36 on: 7 Jan 2017, 04:24 pm »
As a guy with no plans to move away from my DAC, would there be any benefit for me to own/use the Omnia? I can't seem to make that out from all the comments on the thread.

mr_bill

« Reply #37 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:07 pm »
Very very cool Jason

If I use the upgraded new 9038 Pro ESS Dac chip in Omnia I don't see why I need anything else for a streamer, Dac for my high end system?! Correct?

Stream Tidal, Pandora, play hard drive attached files, all through top line internal Dac and then analog out to integrated amp - do I have this right?

rustydoglim

« Reply #38 on: 17 Jan 2017, 06:34 pm »
Very very cool Jason

If I use the upgraded new 9038 Pro ESS Dac chip in Omnia I don't see why I need anything else for a streamer, Dac for my high end system?! Correct?

Stream Tidal, Pandora, play hard drive attached files, all through top line internal Dac and then analog out to integrated amp - do I have this right?

Yes. And no. You still need a DAC if you have multiple digital and analog inputs.
We tried 9028 and it doesn't sound any difference than 9018.  We have yet to try 9038Pro.  There might be some, but keep in mind that a good DAC chip's performance is so high that the sound quality of a DAC is now mainly determined by the preamp and switch:
See http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/guides/learning/what-is-high-end-dac.html

But if we come out with Omnia SHDP1 (Server + headphone amp + DAC + preamp) with multiple inputs, then you really do not need anything else except amp.
Or a very cheap version of Omnia S1, higher performance version of S2.  All with upgradable DAC.

rustydoglim

« Reply #39 on: 17 Jan 2017, 06:36 pm »
As a guy with no plans to move away from my DAC, would there be any benefit for me to own/use the Omnia? I can't seem to make that out from all the comments on the thread.

You can use it as a high end headphone amp, player, streamer, media server, wifi audio receiver (also known as renderer)