IDA-16 Assistance

duppie007

IDA-16 Assistance
« on: 10 Jun 2016, 06:38 am »
Hi All,

I am now a proud owner of an IDA-16 and love it. Couple of questions i have though and would appreciate your assistance:

1) I am using one subwoofer connected to the Analog out. Do i need to use a Y adapter or is there some intelligence in the unit to sent all LFE data if it detects only one Analog connected?
2) With the latest 6.55 windows 7 drivers and latest foobar the setup is not at all as per the documentation. A bit confusing. Is there a later setup guide available?
3) Would you recommend J. River Media Center  for DSD playback over foobar?

Many Thanks

Leon

rustydoglim

Re: IDA-16 Assistance
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm »
Normally subwoofer accept full range stereo inputs so connecting IDA16 line out to sub is fine.
I preferred to use JRiver Media Center as I find it easier to use than Foobar for DSD as well as other formats.
There is a setup guide on the download section.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2016, 01:14 pm »
1) I am using one subwoofer connected to the Analog out. Do i need to use a Y adapter or is there some intelligence in the unit to sent all LFE data if it detects only one Analog connected?

Is what you're saying that unlike many subwoofers that have stereo L/R line inputs, your particular subwoofer has only a single mono LFE input?  In which case using only the L or R analog output of the amplifier would only give you partial bass information from one channel.

If so, I guess your question still stands - is it OK to use a Y-adapter to combine the outputs into a mono signal (as I wouldn't expect the amplifier to "sense" that only one channel is connected and automatically output a mixed mono signal to either channel's output, which I believe was your other related question)?

Steve

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2016, 04:56 am »
is it OK to use a Y-adapter to combine the outputs into a mono signal

No. Never ever do this. A y-cable can not magically sum two signals together, and you run a good chance of damaging your source if you do.

duppie007

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2016, 08:08 am »
Many thanks gents for the replies. It is a SVS sub with L and R low inputs. At the moment only R out from amp is connected to R low input of sub and it seems fine. Just wanted to know if i will be missing data from the L channel for the sub.

Do you find DSD over PCM (DoP) beter than native DSD playback when setup in JRiver?

Br

Leon

srb

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2016, 08:25 am »
It is a SVS sub with L and R low inputs. At the moment only R out from amp is connected to R low input of sub and it seems fine. Just wanted to know if i will be missing data from the L channel for the sub.

Yes, you're only getting bass from the R channel and should also connect the L channel.

Steve

duppie007

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2016, 08:30 am »
Thanks, thought so. Now i must shop for another cable.