dac uDSD

giordy60

dac uDSD
« on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:53 pm »
Hello Jason, it is conceivable a uDSD release with volume control on RCA outputs?
Many users would like to use it to control a stereo final, or drive a pair of active speakers.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: dac uDSD
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2016, 07:29 pm »
I actually use the headphone jack from my uDSD to drive my power amp. I started originally from the rca outputs and a preamp in between, but there was no appreciable difference so I simplified my life using the headphone jack instead.

giordy60

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2016, 09:09 pm »
is a remedy, if it were possible to use the volume control section also on RCA would be a permanent solution.
a bit like going to the u-DAC3  Wink2
the maximum would be to provide the analog outputs uDSD mini-XLR......these

to connect the small dac directly to powered monitors

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm »
The rca outputs are probably still going through an output buffer (it might be directly off the chip? Jason will have to chime in on that). A headphone output is really just a buffer with more current capacity that comes after the pot. If you're driving into a high impedance load (such as the input of an amp or powered speaker), then the current capacity isn't used and the differences from the rca output would be marginal. We're not talking about equipment in the kilobuck range here; do you really think it's going to make a difference?

Mini-xlr connectors would be a terrible design choice because almost nobody uses those, and then you would need a specialized cable. Furthermore the uDSD doesn't have balanced outputs, so even if they slapped the mini-xlr jacks onto the case, you'd be bootstrapping with single-ended output anyways.

giordy60

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:54 am »
I know that the u-DSD does not have balanced outputs, I have spoken of analog outputs on XLR connectors.
terrible solution to equip a dac of XLR outputs? could be... Wink2

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2016, 08:21 pm »
The other DAC-* products have volume control on the RCA outputs because we expect people to use it with power amp.
But many people who use uDSD want to connect it to a preamp or active speaker with volume control and they don't want to have the volume control on the RCA output (because if they set the volume control too high, and then they forget to turn it down for the earphones, it will be terribly loud).
So either way we can't please everyone :)

Eisener Bart

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2016, 02:35 pm »

Randy Myers

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2016, 08:13 pm »
Well they offer tremendous pre-amplifiers with DACs... DAC-9/ DAC-10/DAC-10H for example...

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2016, 06:23 pm »
We published an article to explain what goes into a high-end DAC:
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/guides/what-is-high-end-dac.html

High-end audio is no longer expensive due to technology advances in the past few years and we have written extensively about this.