My impressions of RMAF

Peter

My impressions of RMAF
« Reply #40 on: 18 Oct 2004, 09:40 pm »
I can only agree than amplifiers using the new ICEpower 500ASP sounds terrible. This is why I have refused to use them in 1,5 years, I HAVE tried to tweak them very much indeed, but those modules are not good. Even when for example the well known Jeff Rowland and for example JJAZ are using them the ASP500 modules can only be used to pro audio and none-audiophile HT systems, IMO. But I am certainly  ready to defend to death that NOT all amplifiers with ICEpower technologysounds terrible, but the opporsite. To get a musical amp using the ICEpower technology it is not enough just to buy some modules from Bang & Olufsen ICEpower with switch mode power supply and then believe this is enough, but FAR MORE must be done. When used RIGHT this technology is the absolutely most musical sounding technology, and far beyond any class A amplifier using solid state or tubes. Just that only a few can find out how to use this technology to MUSIC.

A new way of thinking can get this technology to sound more analog than any amp ever made before, but many just don't know.

With all the best, and have a nice day,
Peter

KeithR

My impressions of RMAF
« Reply #41 on: 20 Oct 2004, 08:26 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
Aren't the other main shows open only to people "in the industry", and not anyone/everyone?

Not at all.  The Stereophile shows are 100% consumer shows.

CES is more for dealers, but ask your dealer to get you a free pass.  Never have heard of anyone having a problem getting in.

JCC

Daedalus Dynamics
« Reply #42 on: 21 Oct 2004, 01:30 pm »
Tyson,

Your observations on the Daedalus DA-1 is actually opposite to these speakers strong point:

You stated “I heard the Daedalus Audio room on Saturday, and I thought it was pleasant, but a bit lacking in drive and dynamics. A little soft sounding, but very nice and easy to listen to.”

These are the most dynamic speakers that I have ever heard. With their 96DB efficiency and the ability to handle 600 watts a side, the produce dynamics almost effortlessly. You might have walked into a quiet passage and left. Those who spend some time with these speakers (including multiple RMAF attendees) have been uniformly impressed with the drive and dynamic capability of the DA-1. They certainly are not soft sounding, but they are very easy to listen to. One RMAF attendee told me that he has not found another speaker that could produce so much sound with so little effort.  That observation matches my experience as a Daedalus owner.

Double Ugly

Re: Daedalus Dynamics
« Reply #43 on: 21 Oct 2004, 03:22 pm »
Quote from: JCC
Tyson,

Your observations on the Daedalus DA-1 is actually opposite to these speakers strong point:

You stated “I heard the Daedalus Audio room on Saturday, and I thought it was pleasant, but a bit lacking in drive and dynamics. A little soft sounding, but very nice and easy to listen to.”

These are the most dynamic speakers that I have ever heard. With their 96DB efficiency and the ability to handle 600 watts a side, the produce dynamics almost effortlessly. You might have walked into a quiet passage and left. Those who spend some time with these speakers (including multiple RMAF attendees) have been uniformly impressed with the drive and dynamic capability of the DA-1. They certainly are not soft sounding, but they are very easy to listen to. One RMAF attendee told me that he has not found another speaker that could produce so much sound with so little effort. That observation matches my experience as a Daedalus owner.

JCC-

I understand where you're coming from, but I will attest to the Daedalus sounding much, MUCH better after our late-night tweaking session on Saturday.  The DA-1s sounded fairly pedestrian when I heard them on Saturday.  I don't know that I'd call them "soft", but they definitely didn't reach out and grab you by the throat.  IMO, dynamics were outstanding Sunday, as was definition and clarity.  

The biggest change to me, though, was in soundstage and imaging; the phrase "night and day" comes to mind.

And I stand by my statement regarding their ability to produce better dynamics at lower volumes than any speakers I've heard.  I also submit they sound more "naturally" dynamic than any speaker I've heard, again probably due to their high efficiency and high power-handling capability.

DU

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #44 on: 21 Oct 2004, 03:31 pm »
Quote from: JCC
Tyson,

That may be true, but I heard what I heard, and simply reported what I heard.  I used my own music, which is certainly not soft or quiet, on almost all the speakers I reported on.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #45 on: 21 Oct 2004, 05:13 pm »
That may be true, but I heard what I heard, and simply reported what I heard. I used my own music, which is certainly not soft or quiet, on almost all the speakers I reported on.

Tyson,

I have to apologize for not getting the system tweeked until late in the show, to be honest I was never totally happy with the sound in that room…. I’ve worked with these speakers for several years and in many situations, I know how they sound and we never really got there.  Live and learn, next show we’ll get there instead of just showing the potential.

Everyone hears differently and has a unique sense of what they want of music and music reproduction. Because of that I don’t view any of this as a ‘competition’. I mean it’s all pretty far removed from live music and we are just looking for something that excites us and we can live with. (I’m talking about stereo not wives, although the choices are just about as subjective…). I will say that in designing these I went for a sound that one can enjoy for a long time rather than focus on grabbing a listener’s attention, so to me “very nice and easy to listen to.” is a good thing.

Anyhow I hope you get to hear these again, and the next time I plan to do a large room with live music as well as recorded to show off the dynamic capabilities of these speakers.

thanks,
Lou

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
My impressions of RMAF
« Reply #46 on: 21 Oct 2004, 05:32 pm »
Lou,
Well said, and I couldn't agree more.  I wish I could have heard the speakers on Sunday, as everyone I talked to said they were sounding much better than they did on Saturday.  

And besides that I hope no one is taking my very brief impressions very seriously in the first place....