Overall happy with system….what is the next logical upgrade?

OmahawkSCM

My system is anchored by some Omega 3t's and a Rhythmik F12. I LOVE both of those. Other components include an Oppo 970, Schiit Modi (fed by mac mini), a Yamaha A-s500 integrated amp. Speaker cables are Blue Jeans. Interconnects are Monster. The monitors are about 3 feet from the back wall on Bell O stands. I have been talking to one of the reps at GIK and I think I have figured out what treatments to get.

I think that either my source OR my amp need an upgrade.

I have been eyeing the sony UDA-1/B. It's an integrated Class A amp with a built in USB DAC. So, I could sell the yamaha and the schist and the Sony would cost me $525 net.

Or I could keep the Yamaha, buy an Oppo 103. This would let me sell the Oppo 970 and the Schiit. This would cost me $475 net.

What option would you go with? Are there any other system deficiencies that I am over looking?

Thanks in advance

oledude

Re-evaluate after your GIK treatments?  Sounds like there are no pressing issues and you could see how you like the sound after your room is acoustically treated.

If you are.going to a new Oppo perhaps jump to the 105?  If you use for home theater consider the Darbee version on either.

Best to you.

roscoe65

Your amp is definitely the limiting factor in your system by far.  Your Omega's are pretty efficient and with the sub in place you don't need much power.

You would probably be best served by a upgrading to a low powered tube amp.  You will be shocked at the upgrade to your sound.

jimdgoulding

Love to see your set-up in your room.  That's a component, too.  Yer whole system, anybody's, will benefit from a good set-up and a stage friendly room.  I'm with Roscoe about a tube amp.  Prima Luna and Rogue make some great sounding and affordable integrated ones.  I've heard both in a couple of friend's systems.  Roscoe, how come you only have 6 posts?  Come on, man!

Early B.

Your amp is definitely the limiting factor in your system by far.

Absolutely. You haven't heard your speakers yet. Don't buy a Sony DAC. There are a million other better options in the that price range. Buy used.

BobM

The most important "upgrades" you can do are, surprisingly, the least costly options you can consider. Try these first before you spend money on electronics.

1 - speaker positioning - get out that measuring tape and get this as accurate as possible
2 - seating position - move it around a bit, you may be surprised what you hear moving a little bit back or forward.
3 - room treatments - use inexpensive foam products for absorption to see what benefits they can bring before you spend money on professional products. Try plants or other similar things for diffusion tests. Read up on live end - dead end methodology

Enjoy,
Bob

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
The Sony is class AB... and could be excellent. While far more expensive I have the HAP-Z1ES and it's a great value and an excellent performer. The new Sony gear is very good, I wouldn't discount it. If you can audition one or buy one with a good return policy I think it would be well worth trying it out.

Going with separates the ifi stuff looks like a great value, you could go with their tube buffer, DSD nano or micro DACs, and a SET amp or even a Crown XLS 1500, mine works amazingly well with the Omega speakers.

I'd also try all of BobM's suggestions as well as upgrading electronics as I know it will all make a big difference.

jimdgoulding

The most important "upgrades" you can do are, surprisingly, the least costly options you can consider. Try these first before you spend money on electronics.

1 - speaker positioning - get out that measuring tape and get this as accurate as possible
2 - seating position - move it around a bit, you may be surprised what you hear moving a little bit back or forward.
3 - room treatments - use inexpensive foam products for absorption to see what benefits they can bring before you spend money on professional products. Try plants or other similar things for diffusion tests. Read up on live end - dead end methodology

Enjoy,
Bob
Ah, good advice indeed.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Your amp is definitely the limiting factor in your system by far.  Your Omega's are pretty efficient and with the sub in place you don't need much power.

My take on things too. A nice tube amp could fill the bill nicely (PP EL84?). I just heard a pair of the Nelson Pass ACA (Amp Camp Amp), small SS Class A amps that were very good You'd need to figure in a way to control the volume. Dirt cheap but do involve some diy. The Texas Instriments TDA3116 (and 3110) are bringing a whole new level of refinment to Class D amps, Available as kits or fully assembled (my partner bought a kit, but decided the difference of cost to assembled would push him that way next time) for even less than the ACA.

dave

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
Purifying your power and vibration control can have a bigger positive impact on a system than a component upgrade. In my experience, Shunyata power delivery products (Triton, Typhon, PC's) and Stillpoints have been an incredible revelation. System fundamentals are extremely important!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Overall happy with system….what is the next logical upgrade?
« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2014, 01:34 am »
FWIW
OmahawkSCM has not been back since the night he made the post. 11/29/14

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2014, 01:46 am »
FWIW
OmahawkSCM has not been back since the night he made the post. 11/29/14

If so, his loss. Nonetheless, all good recommendations which might benefit someone else.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2014, 10:21 am »
+1 on the room.  Most overspend on gear in comparison.  Treatments are for needed for bad rooms (too small, poorly shaped, not isolated).  Easiest to deal with the room when building (mine cost next to nothing when we built compared to having a larger basement storage room.  Proper design and attention to detail are the keys.  Recommend Floyd E. Toole's book "Sound Reproduction".

2nd priority: (coming from a "speaker guy") adding more subwoofers (not to add more bass, but to even out in-room bass response).  Again read "Sound Reproduction".  EQ is a band-aid that only works for a single location in the room.

3rd priority: amp  If the room is small and you're not a head banger a SET would be great (suggest Decware).  If you need more juice, I recommend a Prima Luna (the Dialogue Premium Integrated I bought this year is on Stereophile's 2014 Class A list for $3400).

4th priority: DAC (always improving so don't over invest or buy it bundled with amp/etc., but quality cheap ones are everywhere).  Suggest Halide Design DAC ($450 with captive USB/RCA cables, again Stereophile 2014 Class A listed) or iFi Micro iDSD ($500, does all formats, headphones, has battery for portable use).  If you want to spend more and get out of the mainstream look at dB Audio Tranquility (USB/Redbook only, non-oversampling, Eric provides "secret" Mini advice) or the Chordette Qute EX (uses a unique design sans off the shelf chips, great for Redbook).