Sota Comet w/S 303 tonearm

Scoville

Sota Comet w/S 303 tonearm
« on: 3 Sep 2015, 11:27 pm »
Anyone have any experience with the Sota Comet especially with  with the S303 tonearm?  I believe the S303 is a version of the Rega RB303.  Impressions of Sota turntables generally also appreciated.
Thanks

Minn Mark

Re: Sota Comet w/S 303 tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2015, 11:50 pm »
I've got a piano black Comet with an early arm (not sure what) that's probably 20+ years old by now. Works, and had always worked flawlessly.  It's a pretty competitive price point, but I have no complaints.

Mark

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2015, 12:30 am »
While not a SOTA Comet, I have a conrad johnson Sonographe SG-3, which is the table the Comet is based on.  SOTA bought the Sonographe rights from CJ, and released the Comet.  In fact, Lew Johnson still uses a SG-3 in one of his systems!

My SG-3 has it's stock LMT arm, with a Grado Signature 8MZ cartridge.  It's a very nice sounding table, that gets out of the way of the music.  Playback is very open and relaxed, with good timbre and low level detail.  Very good realism too.  Also, the table floats a nice soundstage, with any LP surface noise very detached from the music, allowing tics and pops, to be easily ignored!

Not mine, but this looks like it!

I even used my Sonographe to transcribe a client's LP.  It's the only table I had set up at the time of the project.  Once captured into my DAW, I mastered it, and sent a CD-R proof to my client.  Then never heard back!  While I knew my client only wanted a CD copy, of his band's 1st LP release, I thought he would have at least let me know whether or not he liked my work!?!  Well, some months later, I finally received a follow-up email from my client.  It turned out that he liked the CD-R master so much, he used it for a new CD run of the then LP only release!  Plus, he included a link to a formal review of the CD reissue, stating how good it sounded; how much better it was than the old, original LP release!  I found that review to be pretty funny!  Ironically.

So, as you can tell, I like my SG-3.  And I would think that the Comet, and higher level SOTA tables, would sound even better. A highly recommended line of tables!  IMHO.    :D

Scoville

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2015, 09:42 pm »
Thanks for the comments, folks.  I ordered a Comet earlier in the week.  Look forward to getting it plugged in to my system.

orientalexpress

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2015, 10:03 pm »

[/img]