$2000 Power amps to drive Maggies

kylevuong19

$2000 Power amps to drive Maggies
« on: 3 Sep 2015, 12:54 pm »
Hi guys,
I know it's an old topic but I want you guys to help me to list our that amps works well with Maggies. I read a lot of reviews/topics and people always recommend Pass Labs, Audio Research, Bryston, Sander Magtech, Conrad Johnson amps. For poor audiophile like me, I'm struggling to find a good amp that suits my budget but still deliver good sound quality.
Here's some of the names that I have read good reviews about them driving Maggies:

Parasound Halo A21 (used)
Bel Canto Ref1000M / 500M (used)
Emotiva XPA-2
McCormick DNA-225
Moscode
AVA Synergy 450
Odyssey Khartago
Outlaw Audio 2200

[This list has been edited]

PS: Thanks all for your contribution, I have edited the listed above according to your opinions so people like me can easily use as a reference list.

Apparently I’m in Australia and as you know, hifi brands are very limited here. I can’t hardly find a Odyssey, Moscode or AVA for sale.

In Australia I can find the below in a suitable price:
Wyred 4 Sound ST 1000 power amp
Bel Canto Ref 500M
Parasound A21
Emotiva
Among these I would pick either Bel Canto or Wyred 4 Sound due to their high input impedance (80-100k Ohm) so they can match well with my Prima Luna preamp.

Anyone have any idea on the Wyred 4 Sound power amp?

« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm by kylevuong19 »

orientalexpress

Re: $2000 Power amps to drive Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2015, 01:10 pm »
here one,u can't beat that.http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136925.0
 :thumb:
lapsan

DTB300

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2015, 01:19 pm »
Another product to consider is: (these are NEW prices too)

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-khartago-mono.html $2k

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-khartago-stereo.html $1k

Odyssey has 30 day return if you do not like them....

McCormic DNA are nice amps too...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2015, 01:22 pm »
I'd also look for a used Moscode 401HR at around $2K

firedog

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2015, 01:27 pm »
Odyssey. Models starting at far less than your price (and some above it), and they will all drive the Maggies with no problem.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2015, 01:35 pm »
In your price range you should be looking for Odyssey power amps for your Maggies.  Lots of good clean power with no harshness.  They will make your system sing.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2015, 03:23 pm »
I'd also look for a used Moscode 401HR at around $2K

Which Maggie model?   My vintage Moscode 300 did a great job on 1.6s, and now powers the mids/highs on my 20.1s.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2015, 03:58 pm »
Odyssey. Models starting at far less than your price (and some above it), and they will all drive the Maggies with no problem.

+1 one on that - big bang for the buck

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2015, 04:17 pm »
I have a Parasound Halo A21 amp and a pair of Maggie 1.6's.  The A21 is a great amp but not a great match for the 1.6's.  Don't get me wrong, the sound is good but there are better matches.  I found that the A21 to be too bright with the Maggies and I was running a tube preamp and tube DAC.  I ended up with a Pass X250 amp that is in a whole other league with better bass, transparency, warmth, musicality and a blacker background.  The A21 does have a little bit of grain to it.  I would also stay away from the Emotiva amps.  They are good for cheap power but there are better amps.

Audio Perfection the local Maggie dealer here in Minnneapolis run Bel Canto with them and they sound great.

I would consider Odyssea amps and this Vincent Audio SP 331MK power amp at 300 wpc.  It is a hybrid tube-SS amp that has a great sound that is transparent and a slightly warmer edge.  I have a friend that has one with its matching preamp.  Maggies love tubes.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISP331MK

Another used amp to consider are these Bryston 7BST Mono blocks-

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-bryston-7bst-mono-amps-excellent-condition-2015-08-29-amplifiers-t5w3c3

Here is a review on the 7BST-

http://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-7b-nrb-thx-st-sst-monoblock-power-amplifier-7b-st-october-1996#3VD7ZWb2CTCLXi0k.97

What preamp will you be using and what model Maggies?

Larry

NIGHTFALL1970

brooklyn

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2015, 06:05 pm »
Hi Kyle, I never owned the OutLaw Audio 2200 mono amps but I remembered someone used
them with Maggies on another forum with great success.. You might want to give them a look..

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4164-outlaw-model-2200-mono-amp-ea.aspx?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=139443168530&gclid=CKnjy9O428cCFUNhfgodIW8Mpg

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/outlaw/m200.html

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2015, 08:36 pm »
See if you can find a Threshold S-500 that has been restored.  The price should be in line with what you are looking to spend, and they can easily drive the Maggies.

Don't be afraid to try a used McIntosh (MC 7270, MC 7300).  Those are excellent matches for the Maggies, and can be had in your price range.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2015, 08:55 pm »
Which Maggie model?   My vintage Moscode 300 did a great job on 1.6s, and now powers the mids/highs on my 20.1s.
Nice examples of the Moscode 300 can be found from $600-800.  Not as refined as the 401, but has most of the power.  I've got one in a local shop now that has a hum issue.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2015, 09:03 pm »
We'd need to know which model, what size room, what do you listen to and how loud do you like it?

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2015, 09:14 pm »
For $2000 either the Odyssey or Van Alstine Synergy 450 would be excellent choices. One advantage with the Synergy 450 is one can be in your house fairly quickly on a 30 day trial.

Back in July 2013 we did a comparison between a Synergy 450 and a Krell Full Power Balanced 200 driving Magnepan 3.7's and this is what I wrote:

"We decided to start the amp comparison with the Van Alstine Synergy 450. My gosh, the sound was so close to what we heard with the Krell that we had to try out a lot of different music to find out if there really were any differences. Bass was a wash because the REL did all the low stuff, turn off the REL and the 3.7's didn't go low enough by themselves to notice any difference.

"After a mash-up of music ending with the Dire Straits "Love over Gold", David and I agreed that even though everything sounded excellent, what was missing was the sharp attack of a note. A politeness maybe. The leading edge was ever so slightly attenuated; not even noticeable unless you heard the Krell first. Putting the FPB 200 back in confirmed our impression, but to my ears that was all that changed. The mids, highs, and low level information seemed identical to the Krell.

"We think the difference in attack is because the Krell, besides weighing 3 times more than the Synergy, runs in Class A. All of the FPB 200's 400 watts/channel (4 ohms) are ready to go instantly. David said the Krell is not kind to poorly recorded music, though never analytical the quickness and clarity can put an edge to the sound which is where the PS Audio PerfectWave filters can make a marginal recording very listenable.

"I think the 3.7's like plenty of power to come alive, even though both amps are over 200 watts per channel the Krell has the braun to back it up, it is one big (and hot) amp. The Van Alstine Fet Valve 600R Hybrid amp would probably be a better match to the 3.7's and give the Krell a run for it's money."

Wayne

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2015, 10:31 pm »
I found it:
vocals, jazz and a bit of classic, my listening room is a living room (4 x 6 metre).
with
Peachtree Audio Nova 125SE with MG12 and planning to buy a power amp (or mono blocks power amps) to add more power to the Peachtree (using Pre out).

and he wants tubes.

A better question for me to ask is where are you located? 
If it's US you've got Rogue, AVA (hybrid amps), maybe older used VTLs or similar.
Retubing monoblocks can get kind of expensive if you go that route.

johzel

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2015, 11:21 pm »
In your price range you should be looking for Odyssey power amps for your Maggies.  Lots of good clean power with no harshness.  They will make your system sing.

+1

Minn Mark

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2015, 11:56 pm »
I'm happy driving my 3.6/R's with AVA -an Insight bi-wired (precedes Synergy) with 225w@8 ohms.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106&Itemid=231

Thirty-day money back guarantee, so you can't go wrong. Silly good.

Mark

S Clark

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2015, 12:25 am »
I've always tried to buy used and look for whatever was the "newest, Best EVER!"... from 3 or 4 years ago.  In my case, I needed power to drive a big line source and I asked some our AC members that tend to trade up every couple of years- those that churn equipment and narrowed my search to three amps.  Then I waited... and waited until a Dodd, Moscode, or McCormack fell into my price range.  I'd search out some of the AC members that have run several amps through their system and have a PM dialogue.  The problem you run into on these threads is everyone recommends what they have.  Personally, some of the amps mentioned are some that I've heard and not been impressed with.
My take is Moscode.... but guess what, I have a Moscode. 

I just saw that there are a pair of NCore amps for sale here at AC way under your budget.  I've never heard them, but I've heard good things from people whose opinions I respect. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136742.0

usp1

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2015, 01:26 am »
Check out older McCormack amps as well. There is a DNA-1 on audiogon right now for $800
app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mccormack-dna-1-solid-state-amplifier-2015-08-23-amplifiers-43206-columbus-oh. 150 watts but it will drive maggies with authority.