Any news/progress?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: "Tempesta Xtreme"
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:27 pm »
Any news/progress?

Great results as expected! The second woofer adds a little more sensitivity as well as extra dynamics and impact. The design was for a customer who builds his own cabinets so I don't have any pictures yet. I can provide quotes for assembled systems or kits.

redskinsfan

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2011, 12:33 am »
Rick, with the increased cabinet volume of the Tempesta Extreme, would you consider using the larger C90 Accuton 5'' midrange driver, or stick with the 3'' driver, or would it be ''optional''?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:35 am »
Rick, with the increased cabinet volume of the Tempesta Extreme, would you consider using the larger C90 Accuton 5'' midrange driver, or stick with the 3'' driver, or would it be ''optional''?

It can easily be done either way.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2011, 03:01 pm »
$4K/pr. is possible!

rbfletch

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2011, 06:59 pm »
$4k.....black(piano/ash/matte?), what would they look like?   Dimensions?  Thx

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2011, 07:46 pm »
$4k.....black(piano/ash/matte?), what would they look like?   Dimensions?  Thx

Two modules stacked with the same cabinet size / style as the Tempesta. The top would look just like the Tempesta and the bottom a single woofer and port. 45-46" tall, 9" wide, 14 3/4" deep. Gloss Black, Maple, and Red Cherry (other finishes available for upcharge).

kip_

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:34 pm »
Is there an advantage to using the dual cabinets instead of something like the Madisound MD-38 cabinet?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm »
Is there an advantage to using the dual cabinets instead of something like the Madisound MD-38 cabinet?

The MD-38 is smaller in volume so it cannot be used with these woofers. I wanted to offer an alternative for customers with a smaller budget. For $4K there's nothing else that can touch it, ID or brick and mortar... :thumb:

rbfletch

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:25 am »
Would it look like 2 cabinets with a a strip of wood holding them together...or  one just stacked on top of the other...or would it look like a single integrated cabinet with 44" smooth sides/backs/fronts?  Would their be 2 identical grills or one continuous one?  Just 2 connection posts necessary?  Sounds very nice!   Thanks.   :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2011, 04:00 pm »
Would it look like 2 cabinets with a a strip of wood holding them together...or  one just stacked on top of the other...or would it look like a single integrated cabinet with 44" smooth sides/backs/fronts?  Would their be 2 identical grills or one continuous one?  Just 2 connection posts necessary?  Sounds very nice!   Thanks.   :D

Stacked with short rubber feet underneath the top cabinet and identical grills. One set of connections for the lower cabinet and a short jumper to the upper cabinet.

rbfletch

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:00 pm »
I may have assumed something not true....would it basically be 2 tempestas with the bottom one not having the tweeter and mid-range?  Or are the cabinets different?  Would the home audition option include Keeping/returning the bottom cabinet and jumper?  Thanks.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2011, 07:30 pm »
I may have assumed something not true....would it basically be 2 tempestas with the bottom one not having the tweeter and mid-range?  Or are the cabinets different?  Would the home audition option include Keeping/returning the bottom cabinet and jumper?  Thanks.

Same cabinets but just with the addition of one woofer. Both sections would integrate together so it's not possible to separate the two cabinets. The addition of the second woofer changes the entire crossover.

redskinsfan

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:02 am »
Rick, would it be possible to have a pair of single-cabinet Tempesta floorstanders (not the extreme version) utilizing the Accuton C90 5'' mid? They would be non-ported, as I would augment them with a pair of TC12 subs, a Magnifico center channel, and a pair of stand-mounted Tempestas as surrounds for an absolute killer home theater/music system in my 12' x 25' x7' basement room. :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:58 pm »
Rick, would it be possible to have a pair of single-cabinet Tempesta floorstanders (not the extreme version) utilizing the Accuton C90 5'' mid? They would be non-ported, as I would augment them with a pair of TC12 subs, a Magnifico center channel, and a pair of stand-mounted Tempestas as surrounds for an absolute killer home theater/music system in my 12' x 25' x7' basement room. :thumb:

Let's do it!  :thumb:

jonbee

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2011, 06:28 pm »
Wow, that system would be an overwhelming HT experience. I'm listening to/watching Avatar now on my Tempestas, and even given the limitations of 2 channels, I think it sounds more immersive than the Imax system I first saw the movie on. Every tiny detail of this massive soundscape is right where it should be, as clear as day, with full dynamics, macro and micro.
If you can swing it, I doubt it could be bettered in any significant way.

redskinsfan

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:21 am »
Yes Jonbee, that's the trick, isn't it? Swinging it, I mean. I've been putting my home theater/multi-channel music system together for about 5 years, one piece at a time. First purchase was a NIB Pioneer Elite 56txi AVR on ebay for 1/3 the retail price to use as a pre/pro. No HDMI so no Blu-ray, but I wanted the Firewire feature for ease of multi-channel connectivity with my next purchase, a demo Denon 5910 CI universal transport that upconverts to near Blu-ray quality, also picked up on ebay at 1\3 retail. Next I picked up a 9/10 Meridian 558 5x200 amp on Audiogon for, you guessed it, 1/3 retail. Latest purchase was a Furman IT Reference 20i power conditioner (weighs 80 lbs!!) for, yep, 1/3 retail, to plug everything into. All these components, still in their boxes years later, on shelves in the basement, waiting . . . Patience is a virtue, but this is killing me! When it comes to speakers however, I think buying new is the way to go, and for the longest time I was on the fence, going back and forth between Salk and Selah. One day I was driving down one of the main thoroughfares in Annandale, Virginia where I live, and I happened to glance to my right where I saw a sign above the door of a local business: Selah Hair Town. It was a beauty salon! Perhaps not the most logical way to come to a decision, but it works for me. Well, that and Rick's stellar designs and customer service made it a pretty easy choice. I have a couple of options financially that would allow me to make this happen now--take it out of an IRA and suffer the ''substantial penalty for early withdrawal'' or borrow it from myself by taking out a loan from my Thrift Savings Plan, either of which will require concerted, creative efforts to obtain the  permission of my No. 1--significant other--old lady, you get the picture. I'm almost 56, my hearing isn't getting any better, and patience is wearing thin. Stay tuned. 8)

jonbee

« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:11 am »
I am also totally committed to buying quality cheap. These days you can buy tons of big name high end gear for well over half off.
However, in the search that led me to the Tempestas, I looked at dozens of used candidates, and came to the conclusion that I couldn't do better with any used speaker for the $4k I put into the Ts. As far as I'm concerned, you need to go well north of $10k at retail to even have a shot at better sound in the range they cover. Also, by working wih Rick I could get the finish I wanted and get advice on some some minor customizations done per my tastes after I took delivery, which doesn't happen with used gear.
After 43 years at this I've found these are the types of things that make for real long term satisfaction.
I nearly pulled the trigger on Salk H2TLs, but I wanted the quality of the Soundscapes, which were too large and pricey. The Ts give me that quality of sound, minus the very bottom. I use a James EMB1000 sub when I want the bottom, and it works very well for its' size.
If I felt I could find a good pair of Tempestas used I would have waited, but since Rick is not a mass producer, I think it could be a very long time before such a thing turns up used. If a good used pair does turn up, I just might buy them for one of my other systems anyway, but I'm not counting on it.
I met a very wealthy woman many years ago who drove an older Rolls Royce. She told me it was one of the least costly cars she'd ever had, because it was so satisfying to her that she had kept it for a very long time rather than trading around.
If you can't do it all at once, start with the mains and build it in pieces.
I noted that you wanted to go with the larger Accuton mid. I find the smaller one to be very exceptional, and integrates perfectly with the ribbon and Illuminator. I'd be afraid to mess with this design, having heard how well the combination sounds now. I'm sure Rick has an opinion on this.
Have fun!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2011, 05:39 pm »

Working now on a design with dual 7" Illuminators, Accuton C90 mid, and the Illuminator tweeter. This is a customer request (floorstanders plus matching center channel). The RAAL ribbon could easily be integrated into this design.  :thumb:

hikinokie

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2011, 04:36 pm »
Now yer talkin, pardner. :)