BCD1 More Prone to Footfalls Due to Age/Use?

James Edward

BCD1 More Prone to Footfalls Due to Age/Use?
« on: 27 Jan 2015, 10:08 pm »
In the last month or so I've noticed more dropouts when people walk by the player, or get up from the couch that is located near it. Could dust buildup on the lens or some other factor be causing this? My house is 60 years old, and has a suspended wood floor over a basement, so I can't discount the possibility that the floor has gotten bouncier.
Thanks for any thoughts.

BrystonFan

Re: BCD1 More Prone to Footfalls Due to Age/Use?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2015, 11:09 pm »
Could it be static discharge ?
I have noticed an increase, especially during the colder temperatures when the interior humidity levels tend to be lower...
I had one episode where I even touched a metal screw on my system stand before touching the actual components and the whole system shutdown. Both Bryston amps, my SP3 and BCD-1, I even had them all plugged into my BIT-20!

stereoal

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2015, 07:18 am »
My BCD1 is very prone to dropouts when I walk past it in the winter. The reason is weather related. In the winter the humidity in my home plummets, which causes the wood to shrink. When it shrinks, you can feel the carpeted subfloor moving slightly when you walk. The dry air also increases static electricity.  I should also point out the dropouts happen despite the BCD1 sitting on an expensive isolation mat, the kind that uses ball bearings to cut down on vibration. Oh well, at least  it looks cool. I have an Arcam CD player in the same room and it is much less prone to dropouts.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2015, 03:16 pm »
I've had static cause issues on certain components including a transport.  My system now is on tile over concrete and the rack weighs 350 lbs and I have isolation devices as well.  Have not experienced problems in the new place and also the last year in the old place (was more careful).  They also make stuff such as (I've never tried it but if my problems weren't resolved it is cheap enough) - https://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=42

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2015, 07:12 pm »
The thing to keep in mind though is that the BCD-1 was Bryston’s first foray into a electrical/mechanical device and subject to all the pitfalls with first production…nothing is ever perfect, especially the first.
But there is no denying the sonic attributes, which the BCD-1 offers with regards to Red Book playback due to Bryton’s history building excellent amps and power supplies. Unfortunately the laser, motor and lcd assemblies have been out sourced and my poor BCD-1 has suffered from a failure of all 3 and I’m currently waiting on another RMA from Bryston due to constant “disc errors” even though the unit was serviced once again back in August.
So is it age, winter etc causing random problems, maybe but probably and most likely is that it was impossible for Bryston to have foreseen all and every problem that could arise from their 1st CD player.
Mind you… there are thousands of BCD-1 owners out there who’ve experienced zero issues…just excellent sound which is why even with multiple problems I’m willing give her one last chance ……ok maybe more : ).

BrystonFan

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2015, 10:38 pm »
Thanks For the info Guys..

All the more reason to be hopeful in a BCD-2, right James  :rotflmao:
Make the second attempt perfect!

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2015, 12:37 am »
  Yes for sure James..... looking forward to that :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:43 pm »
I think I am starting to win the battle regarding the development of another Bryston CD Player - will let you know. :thumb:

james

Chicago

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:51 pm »
Way to go James   :thumb:

Mike

spinner

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:00 pm »
  Now that's the best news  yet...... : :banana piano: :dance:

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:46 pm »
I think I am starting to win the battle regarding the development of another Bryston CD Player - will let you know. :thumb:

james

Oh happy day!!!

This should be spectacular!! Thank you James!!

Best,
Antun

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2015, 09:59 pm »

james

Huzzah!

Thanks for your persistence, James. This sounds hopeful.   :banghead:

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

sweetspot

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2015, 11:28 pm »
Fingers &toes are crossed!! :D

rmurray

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2015, 01:05 pm »
  Thanks James for your efforts.  :bowdown: . :thumb: If this does happen I hope the da section will have the dual chip dac .

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2015, 06:03 pm »
...indeed exciting news, James! i really would like to know how the new player looks like :D

al.

redbook

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2015, 06:40 pm »
  Yes this would be great . I hope it would have a smoother tray than the BCD1. As for a slot I have no use. :thumb:

rmurray

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2015, 06:56 pm »
  Perhaps a tray could be manual swing like this well known brand.....

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2015, 07:12 pm »
The above certainly has less wear and tear than a motorized drawer.  Many moons ago I had a Rega Planet, and, except for the need to have a drop more space above it was a nice solution - http://www.rega.co.uk/cd-players-dac.html

redbook

« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2015, 07:13 pm »
  Perhaps a tray could be manual swing like this well known brand.....

I've always liked Naim's front loading tray idea, eliminates some mechanical factors :thumb:

redbook

« Reply #19 on: 1 Feb 2015, 07:31 pm »
  This would be nice if it doesn't violate some patent right of Naim's :cry: