Forced to Update to W10?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Forced to Update to W10?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jul 2016, 05:17 pm »
How do you download W10 and get the key for later?
I upgraded to 10 using the W10 Update Utility provided by Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade.  Then, after the upgrade I used the software ProduKey (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html) to find my newly created W10 key.  Before the upgrade I had my son make an image of the hard drive that I was able use to revert the computer back to 8.1 from after the upgrade.  If you are not familiar, imaging a hard drive creates a "snapshot" of everything on the drive that you can then restore to, letting you revert your computer exactly to the way it was when the image was created.  We used Macrium Reflect Free for that.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2016, 08:39 pm »
Any idea how big the file is?  I have some 1GB flash drives I am not using.  Might be handy to have a copy in case I have to do a clean install later.

The install file on the DVD I made from the .iso is 3.50 GB.

All you need to do a clean install of Windows 10 is a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8 license.

From the July 21st Windows Secrets newsletter:

Microsoft has altered the Win10 licensing/activation process twice! Those changes provide new options....

Now, in addition to the process described in the aforementioned article, you can use a valid product key from a Win7/8 setup when setting up Win10. (See the Microsoft article, "Activation in Windows 10.") This makes the initial must-upgrade step unnecessary. You can clean install and activate Win10 using your current Win7/8 key instead.

Also, Microsoft is now beta-testing a new Digital License tool that will likely replace the current Digital Entitlement mechanism. The new process will tie your Win10 license to your Microsoft Account. Therefore, it's important that, at least initially, you set up Win10 to use your Microsoft Account username/password for signing in. (Later, you can change to a local sign in process. But, again, start by using your Microsoft Account.) For more information, see the Supersite article. "Microsoft takes another step towards minimizing activation issues on Windows 10."

Regarding computer speed, I found everything is faster and snappier with Windows 10. My processor is an Intel i7-2600K 3.4 GHz, 4 core, 8 threads. Maybe Windows 10 is optimized to use more cores.

*Scotty*

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2016, 09:29 pm »
When I changed from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on my MS-2 music server with a dual core Intel Atom CPU N200 @1.86GHz processor, the speed stayed virtually the same, but jRiver 21 now works more smoothly and reliably then it did on Win 8, especially when decoding Flac files and up-sampling 16/44 to 24/176.
I think we have the same old problem that we have always had with Windows, it never installs the same way twice,even if the the hardware is identical.
Scotty

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2016, 12:03 am »
Restart point prob seems its OK now! As the system msg error mention shadow copy in the post#1 I run a new volume shadow copy at WR services.msc what apparently solved the prob.

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2016, 12:51 am »
When I changed from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on my MS-2 music server with a dual core Intel Atom CPU N200 @1.86GHz processor, the speed stayed virtually the same, but jRiver 21 now works more smoothly and reliably then it did on Win 8, especially when decoding Flac files and up-sampling 16/44 to 24/176.
I think we have the same old problem that we have always had with Windows, it never installs the same way twice,even if the the hardware is identical.
Scotty

You're probably right.  I have an HAL MS-2 and an MS-3.  I updated many months back.  I think they look the same now but when I did them the screens were different and I had to do different things to turn each of them off and they both were updated in the same fashion within a day or so.

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:09 am »
The install file on the DVD I made from the .iso is 3.50 GB.

Guess I don't understand the .iso.  I burned a DVD that says 17.9mb.  Think I burned a data disc.

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jul 2016, 01:44 am »
 :scratch:

The Windows 10 64 bit .iso is 3,583,616 KB

Windows sometimes hides it's burn image tool, sometimes you can right click an .iso and the option to burn image shows up in the menu. Sometimes it plays hide-and-seek. Here is the fix:
http://www.intowindows.com/fix-burn-disc-image-option-missing-from-context-menu/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2016, 11:50 pm »
I have updated to W10, it was the longest update I have seen, lasted an entire night after 22:15 by count my slow connection.
Iam satisfied now that the initial problems have been solved, the worst of them was the loss of external video card for 2 monitors, the drive was problematic and W10 stoped this device Code 43. The video card self online update was not working too, so I try auto-detect Nvidia site that also failed, what save me was own W10 Update Drive Sotware option:

twitch54

« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:08 am »
Thanks for this.  I will stay with 7 till 2020 or computer dies...whichever comes first  :lol:

same here.........but since I have it on my work laptop and I'll be retired by then I really don't care .......