Best solid state amp for Super Alnico Monitors?

audiocirclerocks

Best solid state amp for Super Alnico Monitors?
« on: 20 Jul 2016, 08:43 pm »
I love the SET sound best but my system is in the living room and my family uses it a lot when I'm not around.  I read that the First Watt SIT amps were as close as you can get to the SET sound from solid state but I have the SIT-2 here now and I'm rather disappointed.  Maybe there's a lack of synergy between it and the Super Alnico Monitors somehow.  Most of the rest of my gear is Red Wine Audio.

Are there any really good amplifier choices for an SET lover with SAMs who needs to leave his system on all the time?

Edit:  The problem with my First Watt amp was a power cord issue.  It sounds great after switching to the stock power cord.  I'm still very interested to know about amps with Omega synergy though.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2016, 03:48 am by audiocirclerocks »

Bemopti123

Re: Best solid state amp for Super Alnico Monitors?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2016, 10:36 pm »
Try some opchip based amplifiers.  I feel that these type of amplifiers work best with full range driver based speakers with minimalist crossovers or no crossovers at all.  A reputable opchip amp maker without the large price tab seems to be clones audio stuff. 

I personally keep a pair of audiosector Peter Daniels designed Patek SE opchip based amplifiers.  Will never part with them.   :thumb:

audiocirclerocks

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2016, 11:47 pm »
Thanks Bemopti123, is the tpa3116 an opchip?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:13 am »
Hi audiocirclerocks,

Good advice from Bemopti123.  Can't go wrong with anything from Audio Sector. http://www.audiosector.com/

Louis at Omega is playing with a Vista Audio Spark and loves it.  http://www.vista-audio.com/products/Spark/index.htm
He also has a Clones, so it might be a good idea to contact him and get his opinion first hand on both amps.

audiocirclerocks

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:42 am »
How does an opchip amp compare to an SET?

BTW, it looks like my First Watt disappointment may have been a power cord issue.  But I'm still interested in the ultimate amp synergy for a pair of SAMs.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:58 am »
How does an opchip amp compare to an SET?

BTW, it looks like my First Watt disappointment may have been a power cord issue.  But I'm still interested in the ultimate amp synergy for a pair of SAMs.

I have a Dennis Had Inspire SEP amp.  But I've been quite intrigued with the FW SIT-2 as a possible long-term SS alternate amp.  Can you describe anything in particular that was dissatisfying?  I've heard almost all good things about many of his earlier designs, but there hasn't been much chatter about the latest that I've seen.

...Peter

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2016, 03:22 am »
Thanks Bemopti123, is the tpa3116 an opchip?

I am not really aware of which chip, or if I did, I cannot recall.  All I know is that there is massive synergy between opchip or gainclone type of amps and fullrange drivers.  Even better than tubed amps and I have tubed amps (300B, F2A based stuff.)

audiocirclerocks

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2016, 03:45 am »
pstrisik, the SIT-2 is sounding great now.  I didn't try the stock power cord before and used a Pangea cord right away instead.  After switching to the stock cord it sounds great.

Bemopti123, do the Class D digital amps fall into this category?

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2016, 03:51 am »
pstrisik, the SIT-2 is sounding great now.  I didn't try the stock power cord before and used a Pangea cord right away instead.  After switching to the stock cord it sounds great.

Bemopti123, do the Class D digital amps fall into this category?

No.  The Class D amplifiers I have experience with are 2, 1:  A Sharp in all, with Sigma don't remember how many bit conversion and also a Bang Olufsen ICE module based H2o S250 signature by Henry Ho.  The last one I got in order to drive a pair of Infinity Kappa 9s, that are renown to be amp killers, dropping to less than 1 Ohm in some part of the frequency, hardly a good useful comparison with what you are running.  One thing is for sure, I prefer linear traditional power supplies a la  H2o rather than switch mode power supplies.  It makes the amp sound somewhat more analogue.  Same goes with the Opchip amps into my FTA-2000 by Bob Brines.  The sound is quite fast but also sweet...not syrupy. 

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2016, 04:16 pm »
I would also recommend Schiits' Ragnarok as well (it's also a very good headphone amp).
EDIT: It doesn't have the same SET warmth, but it is a very good amp and is completely quiet.

audiocirclerocks

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2016, 05:26 pm »
Has anyone else heard a gainclone with Omegas?

seikosha

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2016, 05:55 pm »
I've had a slew of Solid State amps in my listening room over the years.  None of them give me the magic of SET.  Some of them have been quieter with better bass and more detail, but at the end of the day, they just don't give me what my SET amps do.

Currently I'm playing with a Nuforce STA-9.  For SS it's nice but it's missing that last bit of magic.

I'd really like to try something from First Watt, but haven't yet....one of these days....

audiocirclerocks

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2016, 06:20 pm »
Highly recommended.  This FW is sounding stellar now.

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2016, 06:22 pm »
I've had a slew of Solid State amps in my listening room over the years.  None of them give me the magic of SET.  Some of them have been quieter with better bass and more detail, but at the end of the day, they just don't give me what my SET amps do.

Currently I'm playing with a Nuforce STA-9.  For SS it's nice but it's missing that last bit of magic.

I'd really like to try something from First Watt, but haven't yet....one of these days....

The Wolf Ear Kitoki amp is fantastic. Use it with their power cord.

seikosha

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2016, 06:48 pm »
Hi Ozark Tom,

I spent a lot of time with the Wolf Ear amp and power cord.  Indeed, it is a fine amp.  I posted about my impressions of it, compared to the Decware here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140245.40

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:01 pm »
Hi Ozark Tom,

I spent a lot of time with the Wolf Ear amp and power cord.  Indeed, it is a fine amp.  I posted about my impressions of it, compared to the Decware here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140245.40

My faovvrite SS amp is the Marashinos by D.A.C.

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2016, 09:01 pm »
Hi All,

Great posts and I agree with a lot being posted. I am a big fan of Pass amps and First Watt gear. I think the class D amps are getting better and better all the time. I also like the gainclones.

Hi audiocirclerocks

The synergy between Omega and the Vista Spark is also fantastic. It's a 20 watt class A/B with a linear power supply and I would recommend it highly. It's a great solution for your amp on the time situation and at $349 it's a fantastic value.

Thanks again,
Louis

doggie

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2016, 01:59 am »

I have been running a First Watt SIT2 with my Omega Super 6 Alnico's for about a year and it is indeed a great match.
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2016, 08:52 pm by doggie »

audiocirclerocks

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2016, 02:53 am »
Are you using the stock power cord?

Sense63

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2016, 03:44 pm »
A few days ago I picked up a Sonneteer Campion integrated and have been playing it with my Super Alnico high output 1.5 floor standers ever since......extremely good match.  I can only imagine what the newer model Alabaster would sound like.