Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Prog Rock/metal
« Reply #160 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:34 am »
Been around awhile but Magnitude 9 is a favorite of mine.  I really dig the work Opeth did with Porcupine Tree.

Piffle

« Reply #161 on: 20 Feb 2012, 08:27 am »
There is a ridiculous amount of prog rock/metal out there, and it covers a wide, wide spectrum.  I spend a lot of time exploring this area.  It is a bottomless pit of interesting corners to dig into.

I will give you a couple of favorites of mine from the last couple years.

The first is Leprous - Bilateral.  I think this is the best prog metal album of the last few years.  Very musical, excellent strong songwriting, great performances by everyone especially the vocalist.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=986iAyQpr1U

My second favorite metal album last year after Leprous was Autumn - Cold Comfort.  This isn't "typical" prog metal (whatever that means).  It is a very smooth, mid-range female singer with music that sounds like a metal band playing smooth jazz in an intimate club.  I'm sure I'm doing a terrible job of describing this, so have a listen.  This album is solid and engrossing from the first note to the last.  This is one of those that completely transports you if you listen to it late at night on a high end system.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6awxKdEQ8

Riverside - Anno Domini HD .  This is what Porcupine Tree would sound like if they were a metal band.  Some other Riverside stuff actually sounds very similar to PT, but this album is pretty heavy, and is also by far their best IMO.  (sound quality not so great on Youtube, sorry).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5whn4_-0j0s

I could sit here and do this all night, but it is past my bedtime.  :)  If you like, I can do some more later.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #162 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:28 pm »
Hey Josh,

How is Canada treating you?

I've been listening to the following recently and enjoying them. Not all are strictly metal, but all are prog:

- Anathema - Falling Deeper
- Discipline- To Shatter All Accord
- Phideaux- Snowtorch
- Haken - Visions, Aquarius
- Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon
- Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning
- Mars Hollow - World In Front Of Me, Mars Hollow
- Karmakanic- In a Perfect World
- Riverside - Memories in my Head
- 3 - Ghost You Gave to Me
- Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
- Subsignal - Touchstones
- Tangent - Comm
- Beardfish - Mammoth
- Pineapple Thief - Someone Here is Missing
- Moth Vellum - Moth Vellum
- RPWL - The RPWL Experience
- Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard, Far Skies Deep Time
- Parzivals Eye - Fragments

Enjoy,
Bob

JoshK

« Reply #163 on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:29 am »
Thanks guys! 

I've heard of many of those mentioned.  Quite a few I wouldn't think of as prog, but that is a controversial tag anyway.  Like I said, i am picky.

I took a listen on Grooveshark at work today, to some of them:
Anathema --  really not digging the vocals, music was ok, but vocals not sure I can get past.
Phideaux --  not really my style...
Mars Volta -- ok, but the vocals are irritating to me
Tool -- one of my favorites
APC -- Maynard, enough said
Trivium -- hated the vocals the one time I heard them
Messugah -- ditto
The Ocean -- need another listen
RPWL - was kinda bored listening to it
Mastodon - just don't really like them.... it comes down the vocals I guess

alphaiii

« Reply #164 on: 22 Feb 2012, 04:37 am »
A few that come to mind:
Green Carnation
Evergrey - alot of good albums
Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast is a good one... prog/power metal

Another to check out, although I wouldn't really call them prog metal:
Mercenary - Hours that Remain, Architect of Lies... other albums have more growl/scream vocals

On a side note - I definitely like some of the bands mentioned here - Amorphis, Katatonia, Trivium (although definitely not prog), Porcupine Tree...

And if someone wants to try out something new - check out Eluvietie for some Swiss folk metal...  I'm really digging this band.  Of course, not everyone will like the male vocals.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2012, 06:15 pm by alphaiii »

Rclark

« Reply #165 on: 22 Feb 2012, 05:35 am »
Don't overlook Isis.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #166 on: 22 Feb 2012, 03:50 pm »
If you are looking for better vocals then definitely check out:

- Moth Vellum
- Discipline
- Parzivals Eye
- Izz (a local Brooklyn group)
- Big Big Train
- Brother Ape

Ericus Rex

« Reply #167 on: 22 Feb 2012, 05:04 pm »
Trivium -- hated the vocals the one time I heard them

I hear ya!  That style of growl (monotone and arhythmic) gets on my nerves.  Why I can't listen to Atreyu either!  Thats the fatal flaw of so many metal bands these days.

alphaiii

« Reply #168 on: 22 Feb 2012, 06:06 pm »
I hear ya!  That style of growl (monotone and arhythmic) gets on my nerves.  Why I can't listen to Atreyu either!  Thats the fatal flaw of so many metal bands these days.

Except at this point, I'd call Atreyu a "screamo" band... and I find all of their vocals just awful, the singing included.  I think Trivium is much more talented, musically and vocally.

In any case, while I listen to alot of bands that use growl/scream vocals, I can certainly understand why people don't like it. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #169 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:52 pm »
Have you heard Intronaut?  I hesitantly recommend them as their music is way cool but they do have cookie monster vocals.  Give it a listen and see if you can tolerate.  Saw them live a couple of years ago opening for Mastodon and was way impressed.

Rclark

« Reply #170 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:15 pm »
I can't believe I forgot Intronaut, I have all their CD's. Imo VOID is the best.

They have one of the finest drummers in any genre, he is fully poly-dextrous, he can play different patterns with each limb. Very complex music.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #171 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:43 pm »
+11 on Tool & Porcupine Tree. They are Progressive Metal, which is not the same thing as Progressive Rock. For Prog Rock, King Crimson has pretty much taken things to there (il)logical conclusion(s), some of which includes rubbing up along side Prog Metal.

So, for some more Geezer Perspective...

Prog Rock that has yet to be mentioned: Can, Gong (and spin-offs), Hawkwind (and spin-offs), Soft Machine.

Prog Metal that has yet to be mentioned: Fates Warning.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #172 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:56 pm »

Porcupine Tree a metal band ( prog or otherwise )? Even Deadwing isn't really a metal album...There's metallic shadings used on a lot of their albums but do you really think Porcupine Tree is a metal band ? I dunno about that...

D.D.

JoshK

« Reply #173 on: 22 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm »
No, I don't even think of Porcupine Tree as hard rock, although its getting close.  Definitely not metal, but the thread title was Prog Rock and Metal.   PT = prog rock, Opeth = prog metal, IMO.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #174 on: 22 Feb 2012, 11:32 pm »
Check out:

Amplifier "The Octopus" (2 hours of music)
Dark Suns "Orange"

JoshK

« Reply #175 on: 22 Feb 2012, 11:33 pm »
Green Carnation tune 60 minutes long!  Pretty awesome.
http://grooveshark.com/s/Light+Of+Day+Day+Of+Darkness/3KHD6U?src=5

Ericus Rex

« Reply #176 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:38 am »
Prog Metal that has yet to be mentioned: Fates Warning.

Hell Yeah!  Awaken the Guardian, baby!

mcoaggie

« Reply #177 on: 23 Feb 2012, 01:53 am »
Not sure if this exactly fits but if you have touble getting around the vocals how about
Russian Circles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc

milford3

« Reply #178 on: 23 Feb 2012, 02:27 am »

No grunting in this song.  And yes I concur, grunting is not me.  But if the band is good I'll get around it.  (Grunting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqyjQ6-avK8&feature=relmfu

Mike Nomad

« Reply #179 on: 23 Feb 2012, 02:48 am »

Porcupine Tree a metal band ( prog or otherwise )? Even Deadwing isn't really a metal album...There's metallic shadings used on a lot of their albums but do you really think Porcupine Tree is a metal band ? I dunno about that...

D.D.

On the Metal Spectrum, I would definitely put them to the lighter end.

To use what will probably be a bad example... Cheap Trick had a similar problem, back in the day. If all you heard was what was on the radio, they were a pop band. If you listened to the albums all the way through, they're a rock band. These days, I doubt most people would think twice about putting them in the rock category. Maybe I have it wrong about PT... It happens.