Speaker suggestions for STA 9 and DAC 9

Sandals123

Speaker suggestions for STA 9 and DAC 9
« on: 10 Sep 2016, 10:59 pm »
OK, so instead of buying the IDA 8, an opportunity came up to get a great deal on the 9&9 combo. So, back to the question about speaker pairing.

My room is 14*14 and I listen mostly to vocal jazz and some rock. I would like to keep the budget less than $1000 and used is OK too.

What have any of you found that really takes advantage of this NuPrime pair?

bh46118

Re: Speaker suggestions for STA 9 and DAC 9
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2016, 05:26 am »
Call John Casler about some ELAC Uni-Fi.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2016, 11:29 am »
OK, so instead of buying the IDA 8, an opportunity came up to get a great deal on the 9&9 combo. So, back to the question about speaker pairing.

My room is 14*14 and I listen mostly to vocal jazz and some rock. I would like to keep the budget less than $1000 and used is OK too.

What have any of you found that really takes advantage of this NuPrime pair?

If you will take 2 x STA-9 it will mean - you don't have limitations choosing speakers.
These 2 small Monsters will control 95% of speakers available on the market.

So then the question which speakers you can get for auditioning in your room.
It's the best way, try to push some sellers.

FYG - you may read my review, may be it will help a little bit.
Your questions are welcome.
http://eisenerbart.blogspot.com/2016/07/killers-of-class-ab.html

Randy Myers

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2016, 04:49 pm »
I've heard the Elacs are very good in that range.  Not sure on size you want, but if you want compact you might find a used pair of KEF LS50's.  They are outstanding.  New is about $1500.  You have similar taste in music and I had the KEF.  Only reason I sold mine was because I had the opportunity to pick up a pair of the amazing and extremely rare MC speakers.

agdev01

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2016, 08:16 pm »
I currently have a DAC9 + 2 x STA9 and they have done great with every speaker i have hooked them up to.

I think the UniFi recommendation is a great one.  Would certainly put it on the list.  The one complaint i have about it was the vinyl wrap finish, which i just didn't like.  The Euro version is supposed to be a nice glossy finish at a slightly higher price, but if you are in the US i believe they were going to make it available here as well.  maybe John can answer that.

The KEF LS50's can easily be had used for about 1k.  Personally I didn't like them but many, many others would disagree with me on that.

Both of the above are lower on the efficiency side.  A second STA 9 in the future would be something to consider if you listen loud, in a big room, or just find you want more power.

Other speakers i would look at would be an older Paradigm Signature S2 (used if you can find it), Golden ear Triton 7 or Aon 3, all of which should run fine on a the single STA-9.  Probably won't find many on the used market but a pair of Fritz Carbon 7s might also be around your price.  Fritz is a really nice guy and makes some pretty good speakers.  Would be worth contacting to see if he has something in your budget.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2016, 08:59 am »
A second STA 9 in the future would be something to consider if you listen loud, in a big room, or just find you want more power.

It's not question of power, it's rather question of dynamic.  :D

ameger

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2016, 05:10 pm »
Maybe late on a reply, but I just joined the forum. I have a DAC 9 with two STA 9s. A bit expensive at $1700 shipped from the UK, the Elac BS 403 stand-mount speakers sound excellent (10 year warranty as well). They are rated for 200 watts and 4 ohms, the STA 9s running mono have no problem driving these speakers to ear pleasing levels!