App suggestions for playing FLAC files on iPhone?

dB Cooper

App suggestions for playing FLAC files on iPhone?
« on: 13 May 2016, 01:59 am »
I have a new SE 64GB so, for the first time, it's practical to keep FLACs of some favorite albums on my phone. Anybody here doing this and have a software suggestion?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Re: App suggestions for playing FLAC files on iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:15 am »
Onkyo HF player is very popular; I have it and it does fantastic with hi-res files up to DSD.

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:47 am »
Hey Now,

I used FLAC Player a while back on my 1st gen iPad with good results, it would do HiRez. Using a Sony ZX2 Walkman now.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:55 am »
VLC plays flac.  Available on the app store.

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:53 am »
Be advised that both iPhones and android phones are hardware limited to 48kHz. Hi-Rez 24/88 and higher are downsampled at this time, unless something has changed lately in the hardware.
To clarify, if headphones are used jacked into with either iPhone or android what is heard through phones will have been downsampled.
What goes out the door to an external DAC is dependent on the playback software loaded on the phone.
Sorry about that.
Scotty
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2016, 03:11 am by *Scotty* »

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2016, 02:48 am »
Hey Now,

From the FLAC Player website:

★ 24-bit/96kHz and higher playback with USB DAC and Camera Connection Kit (Now supports iPhone, see website)

With my 1st gen iPad I was using a Meridian Explorer and it was indicating 96kHz.
--
Finest kind,
Chris

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2016, 12:35 pm »
Update: I use "CanOpener", a player which supports FLAC and which I want to continue to use due to its (excellent) incorporated headphone crossfeed. Due to Apple's stubborn refusal to support the popular FLAC format, however, managing Music files in general becomes more complicated,  Transcoding all my FLAC to ALAC would let iTunes manage all the file transferring stuff, but I don't want to do that. Apple lossless files have the same file extension as garden-variety .aac files that iTunes creates by default, and because the phone doesn't natively support FLAC, file management must be done manually. I did this according to Apple's directions, but the app doesn't detect the files  :duh:  Maybe I need to start a thread in The Apple Core or over on Computer Audiophile, as my problem seems to be more a file management problem than a player selection problem.