sub-woofer stands OB and sealed

skalos

sub-woofer stands OB and sealed
« on: 26 Mar 2015, 08:28 pm »
OK Danny,

If I can get enough courage to build these or find someone to make flat packs for these, I am ready. 

Will the following, work? How might it sound? Will it be close enough to an OB woofer so as not to pressurize my room because of the cancellation at the rear of the cabinet?  Enough bass for my 15 x 20 x 8 foot room?

Approx 26"H x 8"W x 12"D open back stand (cabinet) with 3 - 8" servo-woofers on the sides (top and bottom facing out and the middle one facing in) and the HX-300, as you have adjusted it for the stand application, in a separate box running these 3 woofers.

This might be similar to what you are designing for the wedgie, as you have described it, but I want a rectangular footprint.

If 3 - 8" servos aren't enough for my room can I build it (maybe a little wider) with 2 12" servos instead?

Steven

Danny Richie

Re: sub-woofer stands OB and sealed
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2015, 08:40 pm »
OK Danny,

If I can get enough courage to build these or find someone to make flat packs for these, I am ready. 

Will the following, work? How might it sound? Will it be close enough to an OB woofer so as not to pressurize my room because of the cancellation at the rear of the cabinet?  Enough bass for my 15 x 20 x 8 foot room?

Approx 26"H x 8"W x 12"D open back stand (cabinet) with 3 - 8" servo-woofers on the sides (top and bottom facing out and the middle one facing in) and the HX-300, as you have adjusted it for the stand application, in a separate box running these 3 woofers.

This might be similar to what you are designing for the wedgie, as you have described it, but I want a rectangular footprint.

If 3 - 8" servos aren't enough for my room can I build it (maybe a little wider) with 2 12" servos instead?

Steven

I think what you have planed will work out great.

Erpeder

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2015, 11:47 am »
Hey Danny. Is it possible to use the U-baffel design to the 12" servosubs and PEQ370 amp. and the Wedgie on top? I Will love to have the speakers closer to the frontwall and the amps integrerede in the kabinet.

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2015, 03:11 pm »
Hey Danny. Is it possible to use the U-baffel design to the 12" servosubs and PEQ370 amp. and the Wedgie on top? I Will love to have the speakers closer to the frontwall and the amps integrerede in the kabinet.

Thanks.

That is possible. I haven't tried it.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2015, 05:40 pm »

Thanks.

Remember,even though the U frames can go up close to the wall,  the wedgies should be a minimum of 3' off the front wall

jay
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2015, 07:03 pm by Captainhemo »

Erpeder

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2015, 07:29 pm »
Remember,even though the U frames can go up close to the wall,  the wedgies should be a minimum of 3' off the front wall

jay

Thats right, but then I can put some soft materiale behind the units, to minimise reflektion.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2015, 11:43 pm »
Thats right, but then I can put some soft materiale behind the units, to minimise reflektion.

Yes, you certainly could do that...  but you  won't be letting the wedgies reach their potential.
I've tried my OB7's with no treatment behind, absorbtion behnd, and diffusion behind ( crude poly diffusers) In  any situation, the fruther out I pull them the better they sound, and so far, the best is with the poly diffusers.  If I had the space,   I'd have them   further out than they are which is about  3.5 ' .
No matter how you treat the wall , you are going to get reflections. You don't want those reflections reaching your ears too quickly or it will be interpeted as a smear.

I'm not saying they won't work closer  but  to get the most out of them,  keep them as far off the wall as possible even if the wall is treated

jay

Erpeder

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2015, 06:15 pm »
That is possible. I haven't tried it.

Thanks, and there won't be no problem with my PEQ370. I ask beucouce I think I have read somethink obout the servo or filter is designed for H-baffel. Is that right?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2015, 06:43 pm »
Thanks, and there won't be no problem with my PEQ370. I ask beucouce I think I have read somethink obout the servo or filter is designed for H-baffel. Is that right?

If you want to give it a shot then you can use the SW-12-16FR and the A370PEQ amp that is set up to drive them. No problem.

Erpeder

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2015, 07:06 pm »
If you want to give it a shot then you can use the SW-12-16FR and the A370PEQ amp that is set up to drive them. No problem.

Well as you I have the woofers and amps, I only have to Buile new cabinets. I Can see a problem to Biuild the U-baffel for integrete amps, and that it Will be to tall for the Wegdie (tweeter) I have see it on a drawing.

Erpeder

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2015, 08:35 pm »
Yes, you certainly could do that...  but you  won't be letting the wedgies reach their potential.
I've tried my OB7's with no treatment behind, absorbtion behnd, and diffusion behind ( crude poly diffusers) In  any situation, the fruther out I pull them the better they sound, and so far, the best is with the poly diffusers.  If I had the space,   I'd have them   further out than they are which is about  3.5 ' .
No matter how you treat the wall , you are going to get reflections. You don't want those reflections reaching your ears too quickly or it will be interpeted as a smear.

I'm not saying they won't work closer  but  to get the most out of them,  keep them as far off the wall as possible even if the wall is treated

jay

I can understand that you requirement a sealed top, if I placed the speaker FX. 1 - 1.5 feet from the frontwall right.

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2015, 09:26 pm »
If you can only get 1  - 1.5' from the wall,  OB is probably not going to be your best option.  Danny has  lots of  other great designs that will  work better at that range from the wall.  You can pretty much pair anything with the   U-Frame subs/stands.
If you are really after the LGK drivers,  there is Danny's new   Skinny 6 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=131009.20

Pretty much any of his  "box" spekaers are  going to work great  at that distance

I'm sure he'll chime in regarding  the  placement  limitation.  You might even want to give him a call and let him know  what you're working with  so you can get something that is gong to  sound the best

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2015, 11:30 pm »
I disagree.  I think OB can sound good even at a relatively close position to the wall.  Better than a box speaker, mainly because OB is inherently superior to boxes, IMO.  Of course, more space is more better, but that's true for any speaker.

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2015, 01:52 am »
yeah, the more space = more better  :lol: is true for any speaker, but isn't less space   going to be worse  with OB ?  I'd think  having the soudn waves of OB reflecting off the front wall without adaquet space (time) is going tocause isseus .  You're going to lose some detail as the  edges of the notes get "smeared"  , no  :scratch:

jay

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:33 am »
I think with close wall placement that absorption becomes a more viable acoustic treatment strategy.  The further they are from the wall, the more diffraction is appropriate. 

Do OB's improve to a greater degree than box speakers when pulled out?  Yes.  But not because OB's are "worse" with close wall placement.  Box speakers have their own set of issues that cause bad problems with near wall placement.  So I'd say that OB and box speakers are both equally sucky when jammed up against a wall, but OB's improve more when pulled out while box speakers improve less when pulled out. 

I say this as someone that has had to deal with acoustically difficult rooms (ie, a living room in a condo).  OB's were a dramatic step up over box speakers no matter where I put them in the room. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:35 am »
Box speakers have their own set of issues that cause bad problems with near wall placement. 
Not all.

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2015, 03:06 am »
I think with close wall placement that absorption becomes a more viable acoustic treatment strategy.  The further they are from the wall, the more diffraction is appropriate. 

Do OB's improve to a greater degree than box speakers when pulled out?  Yes.  But not because OB's are "worse" with close wall placement.  Box speakers have their own set of issues that cause bad problems with near wall placement.  So I'd say that OB and box speakers are both equally sucky when jammed up against a wall, but OB's improve more when pulled out while box speakers improve less when pulled out. 

I say this as someone that has had to deal with acoustically difficult rooms (ie, a living room in a condo).  OB's were a dramatic step up over box speakers no matter where I put them in the room.

"OB's improve more when pulled out while box speakers improve less when pulled out.  "

When pushing up against the wall,  I'd have thought it would be the opposite...
"OB's degrade more when ppushed towards the wall while box speakers degrade less when pushed up against the wall." 

I may have to see if my folks will lend me their  N3's for a day or two and  try some experiments  vs the OB7s in  positions  both up against the wall vs out in the room

On a side note,  sory if this hass all  gone a bit OT, intent wasn't to confuse the OP (Erpeder)
jay

Tyson

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2015, 05:12 am »
Not all.

If you mean highly directional box speakers ala geddes, I agree those are better than standard box speakers from the midrange on up, but they still load the room in the bass the same way any box speaker would.  Which is not a problem if you have a perfectly symmetrical room with no openings on one side and not on the other.  But if you don't have a room like that, then you end up with uneven bass loading and have to resort to a "swarm" subwoofer approach to try to address it.  On the other hand, you can just go OB and most of the bass issues are addressed, without the need for additional subs. 

Erpeder

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2015, 10:09 am »
Hej again. The system I have now is the OB Dannys 12" servo H-baffel and my ovn Planner mid and tweeter. You can see them in my tread Erpeder`s speakerkers. or in my gallery. Until now the speaker have been placed 4´from frontwall. But I will have a smaller speaker and place them closer the wall. Therefore the U-baffel design to minimise reflection. Already now I have a problem with reflection from wall, but the planner have muts bigger surface than the Wedgie. Then I think smaller surface is better and minimise reflection, maybe I`m wrong. My room is a pling pling room and I can`t make it as a studio (my wife). If it end up with a box speaker there are lots of units here in Denmark.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:38 pm »
"OB's improve more when pulled out while box speakers improve less when pulled out.  "

When pushing up against the wall,  I'd have thought it would be the opposite...
"OB's degrade more when ppushed towards the wall while box speakers degrade less when pushed up against the wall." 

I may have to see if my folks will lend me their  N3's for a day or two and  try some experiments  vs the OB7s in  positions  both up against the wall vs out in the room

On a side note,  sory if this hass all  gone a bit OT, intent wasn't to confuse the OP (Erpeder)
jay

Jay,

Remember, your N3's are front ported so they will probably perform better against a wall than mine will.

Mike